Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the loan docs for a commercial re-fi yesterday and it seems that Experian is showing that I now have 2 SSN's. One is mine and I don't know who the other one belongs to! My step-brother is also showing 2 SSN's but his are different from mine. I tried calling Experian, but the automated system won't put me through to a human being w/o a 10 digit Report Number. I have the entire credit report and nowhere is there any Report Number. The lender who ordered the report is pleading ignorance of the number too, they say I have the same report info that they have.

I explained the discrepancy as a misreporting of my late father's number, but until I can get back to CA where the family records are located I really don't know what this is. Any ideas on how to clear this up?

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Start writing letters.

If you belong to Lifelock, they'll clear it up for you.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It’s not uncommon to see variations of SS numbers, or even family members transposed onto your credit reports. I don’t think it has any bearing on a score and you can write to each of the three credit bureaus asking them to correct it.

I deal with a lot of ss numbers and probably 6 out of 10 have transposed numbers, spouse numbers, family member numbers or variations of your own number due to input error (by clerks, cashiers, etc).

When you see your number associated with 3-4 names you don’t recognize, together with addresses you don’t recognize, then you have a problem. Finding an address for a credit card company on your report is also not uncommon.

Generation errors (junior, sr, I, II, III), pretty much guarantees transposed numbers.

·
Banned
123 Posts
credit

The easiest way in my opinion is to go to www.annualcreditreport.com and get your free credit report from each of the 3 bureaus. Once there you can dispute inaccurate items on your report including your SS# I would recomend everyone to do that once a year that is why it is there. then when your ready to refi or purchase something you dont have any issues...

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The easiest way in my opinion is to go to www.annualcreditreport.com and get your free credit report from each of the 3 bureaus. Once there you can dispute inaccurate items on your report including your SS# I would recomend everyone to do that once a year that is why it is there. then when your ready to refi or purchase something you dont have any issues...
I do this 3 times a year by doing only one of the 3 every 4 months so I can find errors earlier

·
Registered
32 Posts
before you get mad with the credit reporting people, This is what happened. someone who ran your credit reported the wrong ssn number, the reporting company does not put any information on your report. the people submitting info do. once you get a reporting number there is a code that tells the reporting company who sent the wrong info. for my wife it was Mervyns and Home Depot.
Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts