Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not understanding UBFJ. In NHRA terms that would be a N/A engine on nitro.

Is that not the case here? As everyone appears to not be running any nitro. And if the class was spec'd for nitro there would be some safety gear required that would be unnecessary otherwise.

I could take the time to read the rule book but I think someone will set me straight

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
Yes, you could use it.

There would be safety items needed to safely run it. (though the particulars I do not know......or care to know:D)

Sounds like toooooooo much work in between rounds.:)st

PGF500 might know more about the setup itself and what it takes to run it (seeing as his BAF is assembled to run nitro......I think)

I don't know anything about nitro.....other than I'm pretty sure I don't want to work with it.;)

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know an asphault guy that ran a blown alky small blck dragster and at 1 race the unblown fuel guys couldnt get down the track. He entered their class due to the larger purse, they protested because his car didnt have the nitro safety gear required to run that class.

So I'm curious about a UBFJ class, pretty much nobody running the setup it was intended for? And the tech requirements are not just for that class?

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
Maybe apples and oranges.

If the BA engines are not allowed in the UF class.....I could see their argument why he should not be allowed to race in that class.

Rules are rules.

For UBFJ "max c.i. 516" you can run..... gas, Alco, alco+n2o, nitro, e85.....any fuel.

Up to 670".....gas and n2o.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like an evolution of rule changes to accomodate folks or to not loose the class and maybe has strayed away from the original intention but kept the name.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
class was formed way before my time. it'd be cool to see some nitro motors competing. its the only current njba pro category that allows n20, which is why everyone spraying ends up running it.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always though the same.. Fuel meaning a Nitro/Alky mix.

Does the NHRA restrict "Fuel" class's to nitro only? Could be that the "Fuel" guys are all running nitro because they need to make the power to compete?
I'd be impossible to run a NHRA nitro class without it. All of the tech specs are specific to nitro. Even the SFI certs on the hardware must be SFI 1.3

The very reason I asked

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Unblown injected nitro is legal in UBFJ, thats what a true UBF'er is. Just like a TAD fuel car. One of those might be tempermental in a jetboat being there is no real load on the engine?

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Pfaff powered.:)

There was another guy who ran 135-136 in a v-bottom but he had a blower.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Maybe apples and oranges.

If the BA engines are not allowed in the UF class.....I could see their argument why he should not be allowed to race in that class.

Rules are rules.

For UBFJ "max c.i. 516" you can run..... gas, Alco, alco+n2o, nitro, e85.....any fuel.

Up to 670".....gas and n2o.

516 max on GAS---ALKY,Nitros or Nitro up to 670Max. I wonder who wrote that rule. :)hand

1 - 20 of 34 Posts