Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's December 3'rd around noon, I'm returning from putting BD-Flowers on my Mothers Grave, I pull into the Parking Lot at my local Pet Smart (my Pup is with me) and I'm just sitting in a parking spot for a minute or two with the engine off and in 'park'
Next thing this older Dingbat from behind me backs into my car...and get this, she has no idea I'm in the car and she tries to LEAVE!
I hop out of my car and bang on her rear window and say..."YOU AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE!" Then she gets out of her Car and is all sorry and admits it's all her fault, she wasn't even focusing on her backing out of her parking spot and wants to keep it out of her Insurance. I still call the Police to come make a report and she admits it's her fault and it's noted that way.

So...withing an hour or so now I'm dealing with her jerk-off husband that feels he's the victim and wants to come to my Home to see the damage and he want's MY car Flatbed Towed to one of his friends Auto Body Shops...I tell him that ain't happening and you can see the damage when it's in a repair shop. The Jerk husband actually shows up at my house uninvited, but I wasn't home.
So now, because the estimates are between $3-$4 thousand the husband no longer wants to pay out of pocket and turns the claim over to his insurance Co. Their Ins Co calls me and admits 100% fault and tells me to get estimates.
The problem...EVERY Body Shop (many I went to don't even want to touch older Corvettes) want to paint the back bumper cover, blend the rear 1/4' panels to the door Jam's, paint the rear deck-lid and the T-Top Arch and do it with Base Coat-Clear Coat.
My car is 35 year old bright white Lacquer that still looks really nice...but ain't NO WAY in HELL a two stage base coat-clear coat is going to match-up to the front 1/2 of my Car! Even if they order the Lacquer it isn't going to match 35 year old Lacquer...and the two shops that would spray Lacquer won't guarantee the match or Lacquer paint.

So, am I now stuck with a 1/2 of a Corvette that won't match or, is there any way I can twist their Ins company to repaint the entire car?
I have special insurance, and my Car has "agreed Value" of $18,000 but the 'few' Body Shops tell me... "ain't no way her Ins Co will pay $10,000 to repaint your entire Car only the damaged area and most times that doesn't even include color blending panels"

One Body Shop (that doesn't want the Job) tells me...you have a right to have your Corvette repaired to what's called "Pre Accident Condition even if that means repainting the entire Car".

So, do I put the Car in a shop for the 3-4 thousand dollar repair and hate the result?
Or, do I fork out the balance of $7,000 and get my entire Car painted then take the Guy to Small Clams Court and Sue him for the balance (and hope to get it) and would a Court even award me the decision and $$$...and if I win the Claim the guy just doesn't pay me?
Or, is there any way to get either their Ins or even my Ins to repaint my entire Car?
Or...am I just out right screwed with a non-matching Corvette?
Even though Lacquer fits the older Vetts perfectly I would accept a bright-white Base Coat Clear Coat paint job as long as its done right with a quality Paint like Glasurit etc and is as FLAT as my original Lacquer. I know this isn't a $120,000 1967 or 1963 Split Widow Vette but it's mine, is a head turner and is quite sentimental to me...and I bought it new!
Every shop tells me to properly repaint a Vette is $10,000 to just get in the door.
Feedback, please and/or any Attorneys on here for suggestions?
Sorry for the long rant, this is really making me sick to my stomach!
Thanks, Ray 20130715_152925.jpg

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Sorry about the PITA Ray.

It sounds like your first hurdle is to first find someone who is willing to do the job right and give you a quote. The option to get it done right doesn't even exist without a real quote from a shop willing to do it. I'd think once you have that, along with written denials from the shops not willing to touch it explaining why... then you'd have a good argument with their insurance company and/or worse case, a judge.

·
Some guy
3,644 Posts
Have you contacted your insurance company? Part of their job should be to argue with the other guy's company and take care of the details to get your car done right. I don't know about your state, but as far as I know from living in CA, the body shop guy is giving you correct information that you have the right to have your collector's car put back to the condition it was in.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the PITA Ray.

It sounds like your first hurdle is to first find someone who is willing to do the job right and give you a quote. The option to get it done right doesn't even exist without a real quote from a shop willing to do it. I'd think once you have that, along with written denials from the shops not willing to touch it explaining why... then you'd have a good argument with their insurance company and/or worse case, a judge.
Thank you for your feedback, actually I now see that as a valuable and possible Valid way of going about it.
Kind of building a case as to why many Body Shops won't do 1/2 the Car because it won't match and "to do it right" the entire Car must be repainted.
I do feel another hurdle is actually getting documentation from the several Body Shops that don't want the Job unless it's done right by repainting the entire Car. A few Shops had the reason..."I don't have a good Fiberglass Guy working for me".
The term I hear..."restoring the car to pre accident condition" sure seems legit, and it would seem to me, pre accident condition is a Car that has matching Paint!
Hmmmm, getting that written documentation from a few shops may be difficult. Suppose I better start making some calls.
Update...one independent smaller shop that I visited last week and restores Cars said he will give me the Paper Work and agrees... "100% in that no way will two stage match the original Patina of the original 35 year old Lacquer Paint. He also said, ideal the car should be redone in original more Labor time consuming Lacquer Paint but...the owner would accept the newer Base Coat-Clear Coat Finish"

I'll try for 2-3 more shops then, because I have 'special Ins' with a company that just deals with Corvettes I'll call my Ins Company and file the claim through them...and they will indeed get reimbursement from the other at-fault Ins Co.
Good suggestion, it might just work!

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you contacted your insurance company? Part of their job should be to argue with the other guy's company and take care of the details to get your car done right. I don't know about your state, but as far as I know from living in CA, the body shop guy is giving you correct information that you have the right to have your collector's car put back to the condition it was in.
Yes Sir I have reached out and spoke to my agent (Adam) and he does seem agreeable and sympathetic to my situation but never came right out and said "we'll repaint your entire car". He did say they will get their money back from the at-fault Ins Co plus my $1000 deductible.
Adam, more/less did say I would have to first open a claim with my Ins Co and then the 'adjuster will get involved and I guess make that decision'.
My agent is from > > > 'National Corvette Museum Foundation Inc' aka NCM (fancy title huh) right in Bowling Green Kentucky where the Vetts are made. The actual policy writer is from "American Modern" which I hear is a very good Company.
Budweiser's idea/post seems like a good one...I'm working on it now and already have one Shop that is in full agreement and willing to give me both a full repaint estimate and a document as to why, he won't to a partial repaint.
There may be hope!

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Should probably get quotes from at least 3 shops willing to do the job right. The more documentation and proof, the better. One big quote among several small quotes doesn't hold too much weight and may look suspicious/unfounded

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should probably get quotes from at least 3 shops willing to do the job right. The more documentation and proof, the better. One big quote among several small quotes doesn't hold too much weight and may look suspicious/unfounded
Well, a small two-man Shop (that does excellent restorations, not repairs) is going to wright up two documents. One for a complete repaint and that it was originally shot with Lacquer and by rights should be repainted with the much more costly, Labor intensive Lacquer Paint but, that I will agree to a Base Coat Clear-Coat repaint.
And, he's going to wright another document as to 'why' he will NOT just repaint 1/2 the Car as that will not restore it to "pre-accident condition and it will not match." I 'may' be able to get another shop to give me a document also stating they will not repaint 1/2 the car.

Oddly enough, the Shop I visited today (ten bay shop but owned and run by an older old school fella) for additional documents that referred me to the above Shop said..."Ray, I would only get paperwork from ONE Shop and don't give the Insurance Co any chance to negotiate between facilities as to where you go. Just make them deal with one-Shop and that's it!"

He also said..."and one thing the Ins Co has a legal right to do is, deprecate/pro rate your original Paint some 10% per year/agreed value of the vehicle!"
So, in a way, the Ins Co can say..."ok we'll repaint your car, minus the deprecation of 10% per year"...and I'm stuck with not enough $$$ to actually repaint the entire Car! :bangmyhead:
It was suggested, because the Ins Co may depreciate my original Paint to have the 'one' Shop slightly inflate the cost of a complete repaint...and maybe why it could be better to not have two-three quotes.
If one quote is $13,000 and another is $9,000 I may shoot myself in the foot? :shock:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Was your car built in St. Louis or Bowling Green? St. Louis built cars were all lacquer while the Bowling Green cars were a base coat clear coat enamel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts