Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ultimate Wear Ring has a much lower coefficient of friction to water as compared to that of a metal wear ring. This reduces frictional horsepower loss within the pump's mechanical assembly (between the impeller and wear ring), which slightly reduces the load on the engine, allowing the engine to spin the pump slightly faster and generate more thrust.

Would I be correct in saying this?

Also, could you elaborate more on the "better seal" it provides?

·
Registered
557 Posts
The Ultimate Wear Ring has a much lower coefficient of friction to water as compared to that of a metal wear ring. This reduces frictional horsepower loss within the pump's mechanical assembly (between the impeller and wear ring), which slightly reduces the load on the engine, allowing the engine to spin the pump slightly faster and generate more thrust.

Would I be correct in saying this?

I'm not Duane however here are a couple of thoughts;

1) A metal wear-ring should not be touching the impeller at all when properly set-up. I would think no friction.

2) If you think of the miniscule amount of friction difference between the two wear-rings it's probably not a factor worth considering or writing about.

3) The Ultimate wear-ring seals against the impeller once the bowl is presureized causing more friction than a metal wear-ring.

So it must come down to a better seal wouldn't you agree?

Ken

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
ontop of what all ken posted, you can run clearence super tight on em too, make the holeshot meannnnnn:)grn i pin mine , then set em at 10, run the pump, then pull 5 out. i've never hurt or spit 1 out to date:)devil

btw, i don't recommend runnin them that tight unless your in cleannnn water and racing it.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) A metal wear-ring should not be touching the impeller at all when properly set-up. I would think no friction.
Not between the impeller and the wear ring, but there IS friction between the pressurized water that exists between the impeller and the wear ring. I seem to recall reading something regarding friction between water and two surfaces that rotate in opposite directions (obviously the wear ring doesn't rotate but relative to the impeller it is moving in a direction opposite the impeller).

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Don't count on the impeller not touching the wear ring, with the bronze and stainless impeller spinning with the shaft. It's very likely the impeller will contact, the wear ring at during periods of unloading or cavitation. Not so much on the stocker pumps, but the tighter race pumps it happens....

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't count on the impeller not touching the wear ring, with the bronze and stainless impeller spinning with the shaft. It's very likely the impeller will contact, the wear ring at during periods of unloading or cavitation. Not so much on the stocker pumps, but the tighter race pumps it happens....
I seem to recall a thread from awhile back regarding some race pumps actually having looser clearances to give the impeller room to grow???

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You not only have friction, but you have pressure as well. Pressurizing the water also heats it.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
You not only have friction, but you have pressure as well. Pressurizing the water also heats it.
Really? If you are going to post stuff, at least know what you're talking about first. I know very little about wear rings and impellers but here are some of the basics.

The impeller does not get hot. The wear ring should never touch the impeller. The impeller will grow and move forward just slightly when big power is applied, and the impeller pulls itself forward towards the motor closing up the clearance in front of the impeller. That is why it is clearanced at around .025 - .035. The radial clearance has little effect when the impeller moves forward in the housing so close that the impeller will almost kiss the wear ring. Different impeller grow more than others. Even the stainless ones.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Really? If you are going to post stuff, at least know what you're talking about first. I know very little about wear rings and impellers but here are some of the basics.

The impeller does not get hot. The wear ring should never touch the impeller. The impeller will grow and move forward just slightly when big power is applied, and the impeller pulls itself forward towards the motor closing up the clearance in front of the impeller. That is why it is clearanced at around .025 - .035. The radial clearance has little effect when the impeller moves forward in the housing so close that the impeller will almost kiss the wear ring. Different impeller grow more than others. Even the stainless ones.
I agree some of the post from this guy are just :)sphss (dumb)

·
Registered
4,677 Posts

i agree.this jetaholic fellars seems to be really on top of things these dayshil:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I just wonder why on some of these posts and questions. Do you even intend on using an Ultimate wear ring or just feel like posting? Its like your trying to re-invent the wheel here with everything. These forums are full of good info. Just read and learn. Take the good and if you have common sense, weed out the bad. If you have a good question ask and quit throwin in all the bogus theorys and opinions on the things you dont know much about. Your posts usually generate good and useful info but :)st Idk im sure you catch the drift from everyone.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well put W.O.T.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well put W.O.T.
I'd like to eloborate on this. When i first read this a few days ago i didn't read it as a question at all. It reads more of a statement of fact followed by a disclaimer.

This is just a thought but have you given any thought that maybee duane has not posted in this thread due to the fact that he does not want any information he gives out regurgitated back by an unqualified newbie who is trying to learn but yet seems to already an expert?

with the information you have learned already i'm sure the number one thing would be that every application is differen't and things have to be taken on a case by case bassis. When you are handed out GOOD info on your situation and regurgitate it as gospel you can and you are many times giving out BAD advice

We are lucky to have what many would consider true industry experts willing to help us all out on these boards. People in the past have run some of these guys and others (who have not returned) off the boards with this type of b.s. Can you please stop. and as WOT said just read and learn there is tons of info out there.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I'd like to eloborate on this. When i first read this a few days ago i didn't read it as a question at all. It reads more of a statement of fact followed by a disclaimer.

This is just a thought but have you given any thought that maybee duane has not posted in this thread due to the fact that he does not want any information he gives out regurgitated back by an unqualified newbie who is trying to learn but yet seems to already an expert?

with the information you have learned already i'm sure the number one thing would be that every application is differen't and things have to be taken on a case by case bassis. When you are handed out GOOD info on your situation and regurgitate it as gospel you can and you are many times giving out BAD advice

We are lucky to have what many would consider true industry experts willing to help us all out on these boards. People in the past have run some of these guys and others (who have not returned) off the boards with this type of b.s. Can you please stop.

if you have a question about a members product, I always go right to the source in the form of a a call or PM. I would rather gather the info from the source rather than show the whole board that I don't know something.

Cy

1 - 20 of 59 Posts