Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added some rooler rockers to the 502 but had to put on some aftermarket aluminum chevrolet valve covers with no baffles. Tried two vents but oil leaking all over. Hate to put a PCV valve in the grommet cause it would suck me dry. Tried a breather with a 5/8 hose to the air cleaner but still getting oil in carb. Hate to have to buy a 150.00 puke tank. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine are unbaffled covers with open element breathers. I bought some athletic wrist bands to wrap around them. It seems to keep the oil contained well enough that it's not dripping out and getting blown all over the place. They are also easy to take off and wash as needed. This did the trick for me, as I wasnt ready to spend the dough on a puke tank just yet either...

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Get a set of bolt in baffles, easy to install and are very cheap. Another thing in don't open up the grommet, leave it as it comes with just a slit in the end. This will vent the case and help control oil spray.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Buy a set of valve coverrs from a company that is smart enough to not put the breather hole above a rocker arm.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Buy a set ov valve coverrs from a company that is smart enough to not put the breather hole above a rocker arm.
Yep, that'd sure help. :D:D

My old Mickey Thompsons are un-baffeled, and I run a PCV in the right side and a plain chrome breather with the fibre-looking stuff inside it, and have no major issues.

I get a little bit of oil on the valve cover, eventually, if I go a few years w/o rinsing the breather out. Even then, it's a small ammount, hard to even notice.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Added some rooler rockers to the 502 but had to put on some aftermarket aluminum chevrolet valve covers with no baffles. Tried two vents but oil leaking all over. Hate to put a PCV valve in the grommet cause it would suck me dry. Tried a breather with a 5/8 hose to the air cleaner but still getting oil in carb. Hate to have to buy a 150.00 puke tank. Any suggestions??
Suggest you consider some tall "burn down breathers" (with internal baffles)and the "puke tank" anyway maybe ?? Call if we can help Tom

·
Registered
550 Posts
Buy a set of valve coverrs from a company that is smart enough to not put the breather hole above a rocker arm.
I agree, but my covers didnt come with any breather holes, so had to add them. They arent directly over a rocker, but they still get oil in the elements and the wind spreads it around. The wristbands seem to work great so far, and I can color coordinate :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts