Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you would share your findings on the comparisons between the performance capabilities between the e85 intercooled setup and the non intercooled e98. Do you know what the inlet temps are on the two at around 25 lbs boost? Meaning temps of the air before throttle body, not before going into cylinder. Which is the safer of the two as far as detonation and preignition goes. Also how much boost do you think you can run with e-98 without the intercooler?

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I was wondering if you would share your findings on the comparisons between the performance capabilities between the e85 intercooled setup and the non intercooled e98. Do you know what the inlet temps are on the two at around 25 lbs boost? Meaning temps of the air before throttle body, not before going into cylinder. Which is the safer of the two as far as detonation and preignition goes. Also how much boost do you think you can run with e-98 without the intercooler?
Well my E98 source decided that he was only going to make E50 to inject into diesels so that source is not available to me. It's a couple hour drive to the next available E98 source in Bay City. I have just been running E85 so far this year.

The changes I made over this winter were,
Removed the intercooler and that reclaimed at least 2# of boost.
Changed connecting rods and that increased compression to 9.3:1 (long story there)
Changed to 225# Atomizer injectors.

The first time I took it out it was a monster far beyond the previous package. Downright dangerous. I bet it was over 2k HP. It flashed to 30# boost in a split second. I have a video I didn't intend on showing but I will anyways .... laugh it up,
Here's WOT for 2 1/2 seconds looking out the back,
may11test1.mp4 video by Mark11530 - Photobucket I never had the bow just keep climbing like that, usually it leveled off about 85 mph. :)sphss

A couple days ago I came up with an easy method to control the boost that has worked good so I got it down around 20# now.

The IAT at 30# boost was 229 degrees and I didn't think that was too bad for no intercooler. With Ethanol I don't think it ever needed the intercooler in the first place.
Another run I datalogged yesterday at 21# boost showed the IAT at 201 degrees. Of course that's upstream of the injectors so I have no good way to tell what it is after the fuel vaporizes.

It's hard to explain to someone the amount of torque a package like this put's out.
Hass knows now. :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
bad ass... hoping to have my setup rolling in few weeks. I bought Hass old setup and converted it to blow thru. 9.5:1 496 with 15 lbs intercooled with a csu 1050 with EV Pro hat all in my tx-20. i hope it does ok... well see..

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Unchained, I would love to be the very first person to tell you that you are insane. But I am certain you have already been told that.

Having the IAT 200+ before the injectors is not very telling. And even with a thermocouple probe after the injectors, it won't tell you much. At the velcocity things are going in the port, only part of the heat absorbtion has taken place. But it continues thru the entire intake event, until you start compressing, and some may actually still be taking place. Bottom line is, if it doesn't rattle. Although there is some octane inprovement in the 98 over the 85, simply because the gas is the crutch of both, I doubt there is a huge BTU absorbtion diff between the two. We both know, you would take 25* additional IAT if you could gain the octain difference between the two. Sadly, the 98 could give you both.

Have to tell you Unchained, if I was going to built a motor for my GN for lake play use, you built the recipe right there. That thing is bad ass. But I think Hass and Info are trying to dethrone you.

And all 3 of you are going to get taken down by 16 year old with a wrecking yard LS with John Deere turbos and a 1000 HP fogger:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Damn your boat looks fun, Mark!!:)devil:D

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Mark it looked as if the prop walked a little, just before you let out of it. Impressive!!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Unchained, I would love to be the very first person to tell you that you are insane. But I am certain you have already been told that.
Yeah there's a list of people who just won't ride in the boat with me driving and I'm about to add myself to the list.

Have to tell you Unchained, if I was going to built a motor for my GN for lake play use, you built the recipe right there. That thing is bad ass. But I think Hass and Info are trying to dethrone you.
Thanks Bob,
I think Hass is a bit overwhelmed by what he created at this point.
I give him until the end of the season then he'll turn it up to 28# - 30# and get the full effect. :)sphss

Ron's project on methanol is going to have some huge potential especially with the larger turbo's he got.
Either one of those jet's would hole shot me something fierce from a dead stop.
Hitting it from 30 mph like a lake race would be interesting though.

I want to see those guys race each other. :D

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Yeah there's a list of people who just won't ride in the boat with me driving and I'm about to add myself to the list.

Thanks Bob,
I think Hass is a bit overwhelmed by what he created at this point.
I give him until the end of the season then he'll turn it up to 28# - 30# and get the full effect. :)sphss

Ron's project on methanol is going to have some huge potential especially with the larger turbo's he got.
Either one of those jet's would hole shot me something fierce from a dead stop.
Hitting it from 30 mph like a lake race would be interesting though.

I want to see those guys race each other. :D
:D I'm sure that will go down :D
I must have him worried though, since the challenge he's stepped up to an aluminum engine with more cubes than mine with the trick heads, stepped up to the larger turbos, hell next thing you know he'll be going to a blow through carb too :D:p:D

In all seriousness though , I dont think Ron realises just what an animal he's assembling there. What it will really all comes down to is who has the balls to run the most boost. They might just have me there (might;))

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Well my E98 source decided that he was only going to make E50 to inject into diesels so that source is not available to me. It's a couple hour drive to the next available E98 source in Bay City. I have just been running E85 so far this year.

The changes I made over this winter were,
Removed the intercooler and that reclaimed at least 2# of boost.
Changed connecting rods and that increased compression to 9.3:1 (long story there)
Changed to 225# Atomizer injectors.

The first time I took it out it was a monster far beyond the previous package. Downright dangerous. I bet it was over 2k HP. It flashed to 30# boost in a split second. I have a video I didn't intend on showing but I will anyways .... laugh it up,
Here's WOT for 2 1/2 seconds looking out the back,
may11test1.mp4 video by Mark11530 - Photobucket I never had the bow just keep climbing like that, usually it leveled off about 85 mph. :)sphss

A couple days ago I came up with an easy method to control the boost that has worked good so I got it down around 20# now.

The IAT at 30# boost was 229 degrees and I didn't think that was too bad for no intercooler. With Ethanol I don't think it ever needed the intercooler in the first place.
Another run I datalogged yesterday at 21# boost showed the IAT at 201 degrees. Of course that's upstream of the injectors so I have no good way to tell what it is after the fuel vaporizes.

It's hard to explain to someone the amount of torque a package like this put's out.
Hass knows now. :D
Do you have a down pedal?

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
LMAO I think he has a pedal. If it's anything like mine was, it's pretty much ineffective.

Yea I'm continually chasing Hass. :D lol He has cost us a lot of $$ this year. :)

And also everyone has their opinion of a monster. I have had a monster or two to compare it with. Can't hardly wait to get it going.

Pretty impressive leap Mark. From an engine no taller than the back seat.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Do you have a down pedal?
Yeah I have one, when I tried to use it before instead of holding the bow down it wanted to jack the stern up and walk on the prop which was much scarier. In other words, ...... I don't know how to use the down pedal properly. :)sphss

It keeps the bow down much better with the two blade prop but it vibrates more then the three blade so I don't use it as often.

Ron, you hit the nail on the head with, "everyone has their opinion of a monster"

Here are things I have had happen in the Jeff Foxworthy format,
1) When you get out of the boat if you're shaking, It was a monster.
2) If people refuse to ride with you, it was a monster.
3) If you have to look in the mirror and give yourself a stern talking to before you take the boat out, it's a monster.
4) If you can't look at ANY gauges during the whole run....it was a monster.
5) If one of your friends isn't going to let you get back in the boat to make another run,
it was a monster.

add your own...... :D

·
deckboat owner
480 Posts
COOL vid!

That didn't look like Murray Lake and I don't recall seeing or hearing that rocket launch here:)

Congrats
Looks like on HE-- of a ride! ! !

Sounded like it too.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
LMAO I think he has a pedal. If it's anything like mine was, it's pretty much ineffective.

Yea I'm continually chasing Hass. :D lol He has cost us a lot of $$ this year. :)

And also everyone has their opinion of a monster. I have had a monster or two to compare it with. Can't hardly wait to get it going.

Pretty impressive leap Mark. From an engine no taller than the back seat.
Your going to find that those other things you've had were mere toys compared to this animal. I'll be the first to say I told you so! (Oh thats right, I think Mark may have beat me to the punch on that one,lol)

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I like the low profile look a lot better Chris.

Having something different than everyone else has is a main priority of mine. :)bulb

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a turbo setup coming together. I lost the blower deal due to reasons different than the guys that followed you. Hass' and Info's hulls are better than mine and ran better with less power. That said, i don't race but like to pound on it. The DNR is active around here. I wanted to quiet it down and keep the pump gas power. The old blower long block with cam will remain.The pistons and bearings were changed and a ported dart intake, to match the gaskets, is on top with a C&S carb. I am hoping for close to the same power and no hassle from the man.It is alot easier to follow you guys and base my stuff on that rather than be first.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
The blow through carbs have come a long way in the last 5-8 years.
They look like they do a good job.

Depending on what size turbos you use, you'll make significantly more HP and torque than the 14-71 blower did.

You might consider E85 fuel.
Best HP fuel I've ever used, and now I've tested it to 30# boost w/no intercooler.

Post up some pics as you progress along.

I had the Sheriff check my sound level at 89 db at idle, 8' behind the boat.
5" pipes with no mufflers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts