Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good underwater housing for the olympus e- series digital slr's ? Something freaks me out about putting a $1200 camera under water. I want something that is functional but I also don't want to spend as much money on a housing as I did on the camera. Prices and designs are all over the place and I have no Ideal where to start. :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
How deep under water do you want to go??Thats the big factor if more than 10 ft prepare to pay if you want to protect the camera.

I use to do alot of diving and never taken my camera but i have had one dive light flood you would be surprised how little it takes for that to happen the deeper you go the higher the pressure.every time i swap batteries on my HID light it takes time to make sure it is very clean.

Now final ? would you want a 100 dollar housing on a 1200 dollar camera??

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How deep under water do you want to go??Thats the big factor if more than 10 ft prepare to pay if you want to protect the camera.

I use to do alot of diving and never taken my camera but i have had one dive light flood you would be surprised how little it takes for that to happen the deeper you go the higher the pressure.every time i swap batteries on my HID light it takes time to make sure it is very clean.

Now final ? would you want a 100 dollar housing on a 1200 dollar camera??

Honestly the camera will never really be underwater in a dive situation. It will be used mostly for photography around water and in water but not really under water more than a few feet. I will be using it to take some pictures of buddies surfing and various water sports activities. So I dont think I need a mega dollar unit, but I also don't want something that is going to fail. Thats why I came on here to ask. I figure someone will know what I need :D

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This bad dog is only $3000, :|err

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Honestly the camera will never really be underwater in a dive situation. It will be used mostly for photography around water and in water but not really under water more than a few feet. I will be using it to take some pictures of buddies surfing and various water sports activities. So I dont think I need a mega dollar unit, but I also don't want something that is going to fail. Thats why I came on here to ask. I figure someone will know what I need :D
For the surfing part i would kinda be worried about a good tumble in the surf.As for the lake i think it would be alot easier on the housing esp if just going in and being on the surface or barely underwater.

I want to buy one for my 20d for dives but one i would need is more than i can afford.

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the surfing part i would kinda be worried about a good tumble in the surf.As for the lake i think it would be alot easier on the housing esp if just going in and being on the surface or barely underwater.

I want to buy one for my 20d for dives but one i would need is more than i can afford.
Yeah getting in and out would be the worst in the surf. The nice ones are running between $1k-3k. Thats why I was looking at the $400 ones. They claim they are good to 60 meters, but who knows?????

·
Registered
342 Posts

Buy one of these and call it a day. $299 They are tough and produce pretty darn good shots. The say good for 33 feet, but I bet they kept that number conservative. I have one of the old Olympus waterproof cams and it has seen over 40 feet. It produces decent shots and fits in your pocket, but its no where near as good as this new Canon. http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Powershot...46615QQptZDigitalQ5fCamerasQQsalenotsupported

Here is a couple from my old Olympus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts