Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aka Ryan Partridge
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a wood deck Unlimited and is curious about the boat's history. He's heard that maybe a fella named "Bunky" might have made em, but isn't too sure.

Anyone know the story behind Unlimited Boats? Could Harlan have made the wood deck?

Any info would be great.

Attachments

·
GOT MILK?
254 Posts
We saw this boat at Fox's this year- best part- he put it in the water with an eaqually cool 65(ish) Ford Fairlane! This guy just has a sweet set up!

·
aka Ryan Partridge
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We saw this boat at Fox's this year- best part- he put it in the water with an eaqually cool 65(ish) Ford Fairlane! This guy just has a sweet set up!
That's AJ!

He tows it from Long Beach to Parker with that Ford Fairlane. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
My buddy has a wood deck Unlimited and is curious about the boat's history. He's heard that maybe a fella named "Bunky" might have made em, but isn't too sure.

Anyone know the story behind Unlimited Boats? Could Harlan have made the wood deck?

Any info would be great.
That right there is the defination of COOL.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Unlimited boats

Any info would be great.
In 1963 I built the plug for Ralph 'Bunkey' Muirhead, owner of Unlilmited Boats, for rent, when I started my boat wood deck shop. I built wood decks on his boats.
I just repaired the rear deck on a Unlimited Boats SHOCKWAVE II. It is being restored by owner Jim Mroz of Fallbrook. Bunkey used the engine from SHOCKWAVE to set a new drag race BGF record in SHOCKWAVE II.
Bunkey's personal ERR WHOPEE was a top competitor in the ERR class. The boat has been lost for years. Ken Bewick found it in Riverside. The wood deck was shot. Ken had totaled his 18' Aqua Craft. He used the AC deck to replace the wood deck on WHOPEE. This boat has run the Parker Enduro for the last 3 years.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
aka Ryan Partridge
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In 1963 I built the plug for Ralph 'Bunkey' Muirhead, owner of Unlilmited Boats, for rent, when I started my boat wood deck shop. I built wood decks on his boats.
I just repaired the rear deck on a Unlimited Boats SHOCKWAVE II. It is being restored by owner Jim Mroz of Fallbrook. Bunkey used the engine from SHOCKWAVE to set a new drag race BGF record in SHOCKWAVE II.
Bunkey's personal ERR WHOPEE was a top competitor in the ERR class. The boat has been lost for years. Ken Bewick found it in Riverside. The wood deck was shot. Ken had totaled his 18' Aqua Craft. He used the AC deck to replace the wood deck on WHOPEE. This boat has run the Parker Enduro for the last 3 years.
HARLAN ORRIN
Thanks Harlan! So you built my buddy's wood deck?

Was WHOPEE the orange boat that ran the Enduro?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Thanks Harlan! So you built my buddy's wood deck?

Was WHOPEE the orange boat that ran the Enduro?
Ryan, yes the little orange E boat in the enduro pix is the same boat.

Did you buddy buy this one out of Marina Manor in P town? Seems like I saw it for sale just as you enter the upper Manor area.

Carl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1970 unlimited im tryin to find a little info on them. and on this one I know it came out of California and was last registered there in 95 its it was originally white with blue and red stipes and read "whoopee II" across the back
it has a 427 BBC chevy Hallcraft gearbox and a turbo 400 trans. Any info would be Great

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
Er-12

The wood deck boat E R - 12 was built in 1964. I build the wood deck. It was Bunkey's own race boat. It was made in his outboard mold, as a v-drive. When Ken Bewick found the boat it had been outside for a long period of time. The deck was shot. Ken had totaled his 18' Aqua Craft flat bottom v-drive. He removed the Aqua Craft deck and cut it down to fit on the 16' Unlimited Marine boat. Ken and his team have finished the Parker enduro several years, finishing first in class this year.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
3 Posts
my name is scott fuller

Any info would be great.
I was the third owner of this boat, second owner was bob smith a friend of the family, the original owner was another friend of the family cant remember his name off hand. my uncle dick tomasello still owns the walnut deck unlimited,he has a place on parker strip the name on the boat was el,diego. my father owned the mahagony deck back in the lat sixties and seventies he bought it from a guy that raced it at long beach marine stadium. when my dad bought it he left it orange and had the name bep bep ur ass, wuth a picture of the cyottie holding the roadrunner by the neck. ray rutter was the first owner my boat. if you want more details call me 424-237-4355

·
Registered
3 Posts
my name is scott fuller

Any info would be great.
I was the third owner of this boat, second owner was bob smith a friend of the family, the original owner was another friend of the family cant remember his name off hand. my uncle dick tomasello still owns the walnut deck unlimited,he has a place on parker strip the name on the boat was el,diego. my father owned the mahagony deck back in the lat sixties and seventies he bought it from a guy that raced it at long beach marine stadium. when my dad bought it he left it orange and had the name bep bep ur ass, wuth a picture of the cyottie holding the roadrunner by the neck. ray rutter was the first owner my boat. if you want more details call me 424-237-4355

Attachments

·
aka Ryan Partridge
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Wow thanks for posting the photo and info! I'll definitely forward it to my friend.

Do my eyes deceive me or is the steering wheel on the opposite side on my buddy's boat?

Update: I forwarded your pic/info to my buddy AJ and he said this, "Yep, it's a twin. Even the same steering wheel. We bought from a dude on 190th st. in Redondo Beach. He said a person owed him money and gave him the boat."

·
Registered
3 Posts
scott fuller

Wow thanks for posting the photo and info! I'll definitely forward it to my friend.

Do my eyes deceive me or is the steering wheel on the opposite side on my buddy's boat?

Update: I forwarded your pic/info to my buddy AJ and he said this, "Yep, it's a twin. Even the same steering wheel. We bought from a dude on 190th st. in Redondo Beach. He said a person owed him money and gave him the boat."
no its not a twin its the same boat the picture is a pic of a pic I am the guy that traded the guy in redondo for a porche928. there was only a few wood deck boats built by unlimited marine in gardena, what happened to the back seats,I would love to talk to your buddy, if he ever decides to sell the boat i would love to have it back I am still trying to get my uncle to sell me the berch deck hull. please have him fell free to call me at 424-237-4355

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
This Unlimited is for sale right now...
Very cool old circle boat with all original rigging and trailer...still has the Louie Unser 327 in it!!
Be a neat S/E boat!
PM me if interested...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts