Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 frwy east last night about 6 pm I see what appears to be CHP on the side of the road with car pulled over so everyone hits the brakes...as I roll by I see a metallic gray Dodge Charger that has the LEO flashing lights, as I look back to the road in front there is a marked CHP cruiser about 1 yards in front of me with another vehicle pulled over...

Has the CHP gone to unmarked Chargers now?? I remember when you would see the CHP Mustang GT's on the way to Vegas, but this is new to me.... It had NO lights in the back window and nothing on the car that would make it appear to be LE... I guess there is another make and model I have to keep my eye on..

·
New here
4,219 Posts
91 frwy east last night about 6 pm I see what appears to be CHP on the side of the road with car pulled over so everyone hits the brakes...as I roll by I see a metallic gray Dodge Charger that has the LEO flashing lights, as I look back to the road in front there is a marked CHP cruiser about 1 yards in front of me with another vehicle pulled over...

Has the CHP gone to unmarked Chargers now?? I remember when you would see the CHP Mustang GT's on the way to Vegas, but this is new to me.... It had NO lights in the back window and nothing on the car that would make it appear to be LE... I guess there is another make and model I have to keep my eye on..
It would either be a Captain's car or a Lieutenant's car. They have smaller lights, no markings and have normal CA plates.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I haven't seen the camaros in a while up North here. They still have them?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I haven't seen the camaros in a while up North here. They still have them?
The last Camaros were the last-year model of 2002. There might be a few left in the system for display, but none on the road.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
not every cop stopping someone on the freeway is a chp. could be a detective, narcotics officer, the list is endless. I don't believe you can conduct traffic enforcement solely in an unmarked vehicle. Can you make stops? yes, but you can't be out simply working traffic.

Many depts are going to the dodge charger over the Crown Victoria CVPI. I personally like the Ferds way better. More comfy,damn near just as fast...roomy..etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The DEA here has all kinds of cars ,mustangs,camaros etc,I have a constable buddy thats tricked out his Charger,unmarked. I see some suburbans,Tahoe's,having people pulled over on the interstate here also.

Is sucks taking my Chevelle out,I have to find a spot with NO cars on the road:(

·
Registered
362 Posts
I drive a Ford 500. My partners are in Hyundais, Ford Escape Hybrids, Camry Hybrids, a Prius or two, Altimas, Mazda 6's, Yukon XL's, Crown Victorias, Rav-4's.. one guy had a Smart Car one dayyou name it. Makes surveillance a lot easier when you're switching up on the crooks.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
The DEA here has all kinds of cars ,mustangs,camaros etc,I have a constable buddy thats tricked out his Charger,unmarked. I see some suburbans,Tahoe's,having people pulled over on the interstate here also.

Is sucks taking my Chevelle out,I have to find a spot with NO cars on the road:(
The two most dangerous people Law Enforcement Officers have to deal with.... 1. Parolees 2. Federal and/or State agents.

Sorry feds, it's an inside joke ;)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I drive a Ford 500. My partners are in Hyundais, Ford Escape Hybrids, Camry Hybrids, a Prius or two, Altimas, Mazda 6's, Yukon XL's, Crown Victorias, Rav-4's.. one guy had a Smart Car one dayyou name it. Makes surveillance a lot easier when you're switching up on the crooks.
Unfortunately for law abiding citizens if your not a part of the Police State apparatus then your defined as a crook.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Vehicle and Uniform Used by Officers

40800. (a) A traffic officer on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the provisions of Division 10 (commencing with Section 20000) or 11 (commencing with Section 21000) shall wear a full distinctive uniform, and if the officer while on duty uses a motor vehicle, it must be painted a distinctive color specified by the commissioner.

California Code of Regulations then defines how the car must be painted. The moral to the story is this.

It can be ANY color as long as the front, driver and passenger doors are white and there is a name and department logo on the door.

As stated earlier, this is for your CHP and local city patrol cars. You could have a guy from the probation department or a detective in an unmarked car use a "Kojak Light" to stop a crook they have been looking for. But if they stop you for running a red light or speeding the motorist will win in most courts.:)hand

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Lieutenant and above cars usually have lights in them, but are un-marked. They can make a stop under certain cicumstances, but usually call for a regular unit to do the work after the stop is made. Since they are not a "traffic officer", this section doesn't really apply to them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You are right, most police are not "traffic officers" but the courts down my way in SD have decided any officer that make a stop for a traffic violation, not an investigative stop falls under this and the section applies.

I guess until one of these "unmarked" stops gets appealled and there is something higher to force the lower level judges on way or the other it will be a crap shoot for the motorist. If in that situation I could put together a pretty good argument though.:)hand

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
All white CHP

I had an all white CHP unit, (I know, there are a bunch of them) pace me on the 40 for a few miles. I was running 77 on cruise. After passing a truck and a jet ski towing truck, I moved over and he went on by. I guess the stories about 10 MPH grace are true.....70 zone BTW.......I usually tow at 62-64 and only had one guy stop me. Wrote me for 61 "in tandem", could have been worse........Ray

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
In Indianpolis they are running around in un marked mustangs. LED lights up high in the winshield and rear window, tinted windows and upgraded wheels. Hell some of them even have racing stripes, WTF.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I had an all white CHP unit, (I know, there are a bunch of them) pace me on the 40 for a few miles. I was running 77 on cruise. After passing a truck and a jet ski towing truck, I moved over and he went on by. I guess the stories about 10 MPH grace are true.....70 zone BTW.......I usually tow at 62-64 and only had one guy stop me. Wrote me for 61 "in tandem", could have been worse........Ray
Those white cars suck!!! YOu can't tell they're LEO at all, then they throw the chrome grille on them..makes them even harder to distinguish. A few of them hang out on I10 near blythe all the time..very sneaky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts