Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aquacraft
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i got the starter and man that thing is light! looks awesome only problem is it doesnt fit!!!:((((((,,,,to clarify the front mounting block of the new starter is wider than the original starters, the mounting bolts are longer and now I cant even get a bolt started in the hole of the block because it hits the motor mount, so iv been thinking of different ideas on what to do,,,iv thought of cutting down the motor mount more but I think that would be to much, thought about milling the mounting block of the starter just to give a little more clearance for a wrench but that doesn't solve the problem of the bolts being to long abd not fitting, unless I mill the starter mount down to the size of the original bolts and I guess I put shorter bolts but not sure if that weakens the mount because this starter has holes drilled in it so you can clock or turn the starter to clear headers and stuff,,,,or just lift the motor up on that side just to get the bolt in?:)stany ideas????heres some pics although some are sideways you can see how much longer the mini starter bolts are than the originals,,,and if you look in the pic I cant even get the bolt started by itself because it hits the motor mount....anybody deal with this? or is this just my luck having old stuff that doesn't work with new stuff type of deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've used a starter with a base like this before. IMG_5112.jpg
Not sure if you have access to a mill to cut the one you have or maybe return the one you have and try this one out.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the problem, so if this doesn't apply, Ok.
Are you aware the holes in the front of mounting block are there to reposition the starter? That is, it rotates by relocating the bolts through the mounting block into the starter for clearance.

·
Aquacraft
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not sure I understand the problem, so if this doesn't apply, Ok.
Are you aware the holes in the front of mounting block are there to reposition the starter? That is, it rotates by relocating the bolts through the mounting block into the starter for clearance.
sorry I might have explained it a little weird but my new starter looks exactly like the one great escape posted, and I did use the allen screws to turn the starter so it would fit and not hit the block. THE PROBLEM......is that the new starter bolts and mounting block are to long , I cant even get a bolt started in the block because the bolt hits the motor mount,,,not sure if you can see in the middle picture but the bolt is so long I cant get it started into the block because the head of the bolt sticks down past the motor mount,,,,so I either have to pic the motor up to get the bolt in or mill the starter mount and use smaller bolts I guess???? ALSO I checked the flex plate and I did not see any broken teeth , a couple of teeth have nicks in them one had a chip in it but all in all it looks ok to me,,,,i even filed some of the rough edges off of it,,i rotated the entire flex plate and looked at every tooth so I think im ok with that (please GOD let it be ok) so Im thinking of just raising the motor to put the one bolt in which seems crazy but not really sure what else to do.....LOOK at the middle picture and look at the bolt,,,it is longer than the original bolts and it goes down past the motor mount ,,,,sorry the picture is sideways but basically the new starter has a longer mounting flange and takes longer bolts and my motor mounts are in the way now:bangmyhead: or I cut a slot in the side of my motor mount to accommodate the bolt but damn I hate to do that also...in the middle pic you can see the flex plate in the back and look at the bolt that is almost started in the block,,,but the motor mount is in the way sorry I keep saying this but I don't know how to draw on the picture to point at it and my stupid ass cant figure out how to make the picture straight,,,,sorry

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought it was just the outer bolt that was hitting. The starter that I pictured used a short maybe 2" long outer bolt. Jacking up the engine to get the starter in may be a pain in the ass but they don't fail very often. Good luck

·
Aquacraft
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thought it was just the outer bolt that was hitting. The starter that I pictured used a short maybe 2" long outer bolt. Jacking up the engine to get the starter in may be a pain in the ass but they don't fail very often. Good luck
it is the outer bolt that is being my hemorrhoid but the pic you posted looks just like mine? maybe yours does have a smaller bolt? my starter needs to be stagger mounted and my starter bolts are 4 5/8 total length from head of bolt to bottom of threads,,,,but yes its just the outer bolt that is screwing me up...,,,never mind I just looked at your pic better and yes that would work if it was a stagger mount ,,,,im going to look at jegs now thank you for posting that!!! sorry been having a couple of drinks and I didn't notice the mounting block of that starter ...

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Thanks for explaining, and your first explanation was fine. I just have not run into that particular problem and it should not be that complicated. Putting a starter on should be pretty straight forward, that is put in two bolts. For some reason, when anything gets changed it doesn't seem like there is anything standard.

When I put my motor in, the starter gear would hit the flex-plate. Even after changing flex-plates and it being better, it was still too close, so I called the manufacture. I ask them to send me a new mounting block without the two vertical holes already drilled. They were very accommodating and I relocated the holes slightly. It's been fine ever since as long as I reuse that mounting block. I changed starters once.

Good luck, and I understand the frustration.

·
Aquacraft
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for explaining, and your first explanation was fine. I just have not run into that particular problem and it should not be that complicated. Putting a starter on should be pretty straight forward, that is put in two bolts. For some reason, when anything gets changed it doesn't seem like there is anything standard.

When I put my motor in, the starter gear would hit the flex-plate. Even after changing flex-plates and it being better, it was still too close, so I called the manufacture. I ask them to send me a new mounting block without the two vertical holes already drilled. They were very accommodating and I relocated the holes slightly. It's been fine ever since as long as I reuse that mounting block. I changed starters once.

Good luck, and I understand the frustration.
Thanks! maybe I could get a solid mounting plate and machine it myself? that's a pretty good idea maybe I should call them and see if they would sale me an unmachined plate , its worth a try ….and yes it seems like the easiest things turn into shit storms when one thing changes,,,its crazy the weird shit that comes up that is supposed to be simple..

·
Aquacraft
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used a starter with a base like this before. View attachment 1022889
Not sure if you have access to a mill to cut the one you have or maybe return the one you have and try this one out.
I looked forevor and couldnt find a starter like this with a stagger mount bolt hole configuration,,not saying they dont make one but i couldnt find it but the picture you posted is exactly what i need but with the stagger mount...thank you!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
EDDIE

As suggested lifting the engine is the proper way to do it, the bolts have knurling on them that help square the starter to the block. Also a good time to replace the flex plate, and it's the only way you will be able to check the pinion gear engagement depth, a very important step.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
I learned a long time ago...if I have to throw a starter on it when I'm on vacation...I do it in the boat and bitch the whole time...if I have the time, I pull the motor...seems to be the only way to get one on that I know I'm not going to have a problem with...that's just me..

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Eddie check with the mfr. on their website or call them they probably make the block for the starter with the staggered bolt pattern pretty cheap too

·
Aquacraft
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys , I had one more idea what about just cutting a groove into the motor mount down the side so the bolt will fit ? Not trying to cut corners here just thinking about the fact that if the starter goes out I’ll have to lift the motor ? Just seems kinda crazy especially if something happens at the lake I won’t be able to replace the starter but then again how often do they go out if installed right ??just thinking of a way to fix this without having to lift the motor but like was said earlier it’s probably the right way to do this just thinking about the what if’s , what if it goes out and I’m out of town ? Shit but that would be the only way to check for clearances , actually I measured and did a lot of figuring and I pretty much know that I need to shim it but I could double check with motor out , damn it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts