Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here this, I have to find the exact quote, But he put obama in his place.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Duke Coach to Obama: Worry About the Economy, Not NCAA Picks
Reacting to news Obama picked North Carolina to win the NCAA Championship, Mike Krzyzewski says, "the economy is something that [the president] should focus on, probably more than the brackets."

AP

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Obama spent part of Tuesday making his tournament picks for ESPN, which posted his completed bracket online Wednesday and showed the First Fan filling it out with Andy Katz on the noon edition of "Sportscenter."

Of course, the president's choice drew a reaction from the Tar Heels' most intense rival.

"Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four, and as much as I respect what he's doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said from the Blue Devils' first-round site in Greensboro, N.C.

The president had top-seeded Pittsburgh join the No. 1-seeded Tar Heels and Cardinals in the Final Four, but chose second-seeded Memphis to beat Connecticut in the West Regional.

"I think Memphis has got a very athletic team," Obama told Katz, an ESPN college basketball analyst. "I think they've got a good shot."

Perhaps showing some indecision, Obama initially had the Panthers playing Louisville for the national title in the file posted online. Pitt was scratched out of the title game in favor of North Carolina, which in turn replaced Louisville in the "champion" box.

"Here's what I like about Carolina: experience and balance," Obama said.

Familiarity, too. Obama played a pickup game with Tyler Hansbrough and the Tar Heels while campaigning in North Carolina last April.

"Now, for all the Tar Heels who are watching, I picked you last year -- you let me down," Obama said. "This year, don't embarrass me in front of the nation, all right? I'm counting on you. I still got those sneakers you guys gave me."

Katz interviewed Obama last October for a story about the president's brother-in-law, Oregon State basketball coach Craig Robinson. After the interview, Obama invited Katz to play in a pickup basketball game on Election Day in Chicago, and he did.

Katz extracted a promise from Obama that if elected, the new president would reveal his NCAA picks to ESPN when the pairings were announced in March.

"They stayed true to their word and didn't hesitate to get it done," Katz said.

Obama was brutally honest in assessing many of the teams, including Blake Griffin and second-seeded Oklahoma, which he has losing to Syracuse for a spot in the final eight.

"The problem with Oklahoma, they have the player of the year, but they play like, seven guys," Obama said. "I think you start getting worn down."

Among the other notable selections, Obama picked 10th-seeded Maryland to beat No. 7 seed California in the West Regional, fifth-seeded Florida State to make the round of 16, and No. 11 seed Virginia Commonwealth to beat UCLA.

Any chance the president slips away for a few minutes to see how his picks are doing when the tournament begins in earnest Thursday?

"I think the chances are pretty high," he said.

WSJ: Analyzing First Fan's Bracketology.

0 x
in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.
156 Comments | Add Comment

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Anybody here this, I have to find the exact quote, But he put obama in his place.....

Amazing....USC fans think the world revolves around USC.......Everyone knows the SEC is the one to beat this past decade and the entire history of the BCS!!!!!!!:D:D:D

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Amazing....USC fans think the world revolves around USC.......Everyone knows the SEC is the one to beat this past decade and the entire history of the BCS!!!!!!!:D:D:D
ummmmmmm Basketball? Didn't know basketball has a BCS now. I thought they just had the Tournament. :)sphss

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
ummmmmmm Basketball? Didn't know basketball has a BCS now. I thought they just had the Tournament. :)sphss
Yep, but as you noticed in my sarcastic remark about USC fans being the center of the universe, I widened it out to the Conference to Beat and to the college sport that brings in the most money, most watched and most supported............There for supporting my argument that the SEC is the center of the universe in College Sports in Modern History!:D:D:D

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Killr is not a USC fan. He's a UCLA fan like myself.
Same thing....... :D:D:D Both are not SEC teams......more sarcasm and jeering for the upcoming Season where LSU is Ranked #1 in Preseason Base Ball poles and had the #1 recruiting class prepping them for the BCS run again this year........:)devil

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Same thing....... :D:D:D Both are not SEC teams......more sarcasm and jeering for the upcoming Season where LSU is Ranked #1 in Preseason Base Ball poles and had the #1 recruiting class prepping them for the BCS run again this year........:)devil
:D Wrong team in the SEC to root for. Behind UCLA, Arkansas has the second most national championships in all of college sports. :D

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
:D Wrong team in the SEC to root for. Behind UCLA, Arkansas has the second most national championships in all of college sports. :D

I think I said BCS and modern era.....LSU with 2, Florida with 2 and Tennessee with 1......no other conference comes close.....by the way Coach K was absolutely right.....sorry to get off track with college football...... Geaux Tigers!:)hand

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think I said BCS and modern era.....LSU with 2, Florida with 2 and Tennessee with 1......no other conference comes close.....by the way Coach K was absolutely right.....sorry to get off track with college football...... Geaux Tigers!:)hand
You did say football, but then talked about baseball so I thought it would be cool to talk about ALL sports. :D :D

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
So when you gonna find the quote from the USC coach? or were you referring to Coack K from Duke?

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
You did say football, but then talked about baseball so I thought it would be cool to talk about ALL sports. :D :D
It always is in my book......

·
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So when you gonna find the quote from the USC coach? or were you referring to Coack K from Duke?
It was on NBC news last night.

Basically he said he was shocked that Obama said SC would not make the Tourny, But then again he was upset because he really wanted to go to usc but was only good enough for Hawaii

1 - 16 of 16 Posts