Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bracing on my v-drive box are round rods with rod ends threaded on, instead of normal flat aluminum. They look cool, but I've not seen this type on any other boats. Are these some aftermarket thing, or what? Just wondering. Boat is a 73 Hondo. Heres a pic of the setup taken when I first got the boat before I cleaned anything.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
This type of brace is pretty common these days. Aftermarket, yes.

Would you like this thread moved to vdrive section?

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
Like Rexone stated, that is very common. You can go to our website, google precisioncraftmarine.com, and look in the v-drive section. I personally will never solid plate a v-drive on these light weight drag boats. They need to move with the boat, or they will break around the ridgid mounting. excuse the website, it is still being worked on.

·
Distinguished Member
5,781 Posts
The bracing on my v-drive box are round rods with rod ends threaded on, instead of normal flat aluminum. They look cool, but I've not seen this type on any other boats. Are these some aftermarket thing, or what? Just wondering. Boat is a 73 Hondo. Heres a pic of the setup taken when I first got the boat before I cleaned anything.
Like Joe and Rex said, not uncommon at all. Our 89 Canyon had them when we had it built and they were common back then...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In my opinion it is the prefered way of doing it, however some new heim joints and swaged aluminum tubes would make it more modern. Heims can be bought anywhere, Shelfo at Precision Craft might be able to get you swaged aluminum tubes, or a good sprint car shop.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts