Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo Jim,
I own a 19ft Hallet skiracer boat with Twin turbo 429 BB Ford engine and Casale v -drive with 1.48:1 gears turning a 3 blade 15 inch RH rotation propeller. The v-drive are driven from the front crankshaft pulley. I recently damaged the gears and replaced them with a new set of gears. The gears I received are stamped LH and the gears are cut in the opposite direction than the standard gears.I can not find any reference or information on websites I have visited for these gears.
I fitted these gears and they seem to work after I made a few laps around the lake at lower speed than normal . (Here in South Africa any information about v-drives is non existent.)
Are these gears suitable for high speed circuit racing and endurance races of 120 kilometers or more ?? .As far as I know you need a counter rotating ( LH Rotation ) propeller if the v-drive is driven from the flywheel at the rear of the engine. Please Help.

·
Boat Test GURU
516 Posts
You can run the LH gears with the right hand propeller without to much problem. It does put a little more strain on the gears as you are running them on the back side of the gear. Change oil often and have fun. Some GN guys in the USA run that combo because they are to cheap to by a new set of gears.

JW

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V - drive Gears

Hallo Jim, Thanks for replying and for the advice . I used to be a regular reader of your v - Drive Tech articles when the magazine was still available here in South Africa.

·
u wr haullin w/I passed u
30 Posts
Casale Gears

You can run the LH gears with the right hand propeller without to much problem. It does put a little more strain on the gears as you are running them on the back side of the gear. Change oil often and have fun. Some GN guys in the USA run that combo because they are to cheap to by a new set of gears.

JW

Hey Jim,
I was wondering if you have or know someone who has a good used set of 22's for a 10* Casale split case?
I would also consider a set of 25's or as low as 18's.
P.M. or call me @ 407-375-8895 you can also e-mail me @ [email protected]

Thanks and I also used to read your articles when the mag. was Goin' On!!
I was just getting into v drives about 12 yrs. ago and allot of your articles addressed allot of my questions while I was restoring my 69' Sanger Family Skiier. It had a 427 BBC, 12* Casale w/25's and a 15 pitch prop when I first got it together. Went through a couple of motors before punching it out to a 505 BBC with a Weiand 174 Supercharger. Boy was it 3 hands full after that!!!
I have science moved up to a 77' Brendella 2" Runner Bottom and a 256 Weiand Supercharger w/2 Holley 750HP carbs.
The Sanger beat you to death with a top speed of 80mph.
The Brendella is as smooth as a Caddy @ 115mph. What a difference!!!
Anyway, let me know about the gears.

Thanks in advance, John Mackey Ocoee, Florida.:)devil:)devil

·
Boat Test GURU
516 Posts
Well boys the V-drive Tech is coming back to Performance boat magazine. Yes we will be answering V-drive questions once again.

JW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts