Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
108 Posts
brendella

That boat lives around the corner from me. the guy did a half ass job restoring it and then tried to cover his mistakes with paint. It is a bad ass hull for someone who would like to restore it. but not for $10,000

·
Registered
620 Posts
@@@@@1977 brendella v-hull speed [email protected]@@@@ - $10000 (bf)

Reply to:see below
Date: 2009-05-31, 8:30PM PDT

custom pickle fork, flat bottom,casale v-drive, v-8 very rare model. custom paint matching trailer ,tag up to date
too fast for family.perfect for the lake summer is coming $10000, obo or trade ????? (661) 978-5499 Ask for Pete.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it is anything like the Brendella v-drive tunnel that was around these parts 8 or 10 years ago it is probably an ill-handling nightmare. Jet hydros and v-drive tunnel hulls are "rare" for a reason.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My Dad sunk his V-Drive Daytona in Mission Bay. He said it would start walking on him on the top end. Bob Leach gave him a jet instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wmorton that is so rad though dude..im 49 yrs old and love that look with the wing..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree the wing on that tunnel looks bitchen, but it probably only added to the inherent handling problems of the rig. It likely would have worked better with a front wing.

V-drive tunnels.........yet another bad idea best left in the annals of hot boat history.;)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
He tried the wing to aluviate the problem of the ill handling. From what I was told there were only three of these boats at the time. After of sank, the boat sat at the shop for a long time. I wonder who ended up with this hull.

I bet the concept would work, but the idea would need a lot of R and D.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Absolutely, that's the concept to make it like a hydro where only half the prop is in the water. I know the prop works on tunnel hulls in the radio controlled boats, but the prop is way past the transom. That might be the answer to the problem. I have seen a arneson surface drive on a tunnel, but never found out how it worked. I did see the same surface drive from that boat in the parts spam section, so kinda doubt it. It's hard to spend money on R & D when your an enthusiast. Next time the economy gets an upswing we need to get someone to come up with the answer.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but wouldnt a tunnel design try to pull the prop up out of the water as well? :)sphss
Shouldn't be any different than an O/B tunnel if set up right. O/B tunnels work very well. Instead of trying to work with a wing I would play with the drive angle.:)devil

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm no engineer, but I think it is different than an outboard because you have a balance point under the boat. On an outboard the lift is planting the tail of the boat so the engine can "dig" deeper. From the one v-drive tunnel that I saw make plenty of passes, chine walking was the major problem. As it packed air and got lift it teetered on that prop as a balance point and became very erratic. With a hydro, the forward propulsion blows the tail and plants the sponsons. With one of these if you blow the tail, you blow over!:)hand Tons of downforce on the front with big horsepower to plow through water might stabilize one, but why have a tunnel that runs wet like that? Kind of defeats the whole idea. These things are a nightmare IMNSHO.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Someone on the boards has a daytona v-drive. I think his name is unchained? looks to run fairly well IMO. There are a couple vids on youtube.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
The boats being referred to here (rare Daytona w/o centerpod & Brendella) are essentially CATAMARAN style hulls and have not been very successful as V-drives. The few Daytona's, Cougar's and that boat Eddie Hill has work quite well because they have CENTER PODS. I've owned the black 21' Daytona v-drive that Smitty now has and it has run up into the 130's. I currently own a 19' Cougar with a mild blown BBC that should run 110+. Both of these boats are incredibly stable at speed. Jocko

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jockorace,

Excellent point. I have seen a very hard running Cougar v-drive and it is night and day compared to one of these Brendellas. The Centerpod makes a huge difference in stability.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That looks like the boat that I bought from Eliminator in I think 1978!

When I got the boat is had the name Breaking Wind down the center of the deck.

The v-drive had a 1/2" mounting plate and was cut for big gears.

I put a mild 427 in it and it did not work well. I ended up parting it out and the guy that bought the hull was going to put a outboard on it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That looks like the boat that I bought from Eliminator in I think 1978!

When I got the boat is had the name Breaking Wind down the center of the deck.

The v-drive had a 1/2" mounting plate and was cut for big gears.

I put a mild 427 in it and it did not work well. I ended up parting it out and the guy that bought the hull was going to put a outboard on it.

That was it, "breaking wind." The internet is truly amazing. I came across other pictures if you would like to look.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts