Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, We just recieved our new steering cable, clamps, sproket, chain, and turnbuckle today from cp performance. And would like any advice on installing this system. The existing system we dont think is installed correctly. It has no turnbuckle cable is slack...dangerous. Please anyone with advice cable tension etc.. The new turnbuckle has no jam nuts what keeps this from vibrating loose? Were new to this only one year in it most time spent on motor and this year our new racing tranny. Steering is a serious issue with us. Thanks in advance to any with advice.
See Ya.
Dan.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'd suggest you have a pro help you set this up the first time. In spite of it's simplicity, there are a number of things that can be done incorrectly that will result in failure.

What area do you live in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We live in central Illinois, And no one I know around here Knows anything about v-drive steering. Were on our own I guess. Its why I am asking anyone for any info. Have looked all over online web searches and such, And have found nothing on this issue.
Thanks for responding to me.
Dan.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
It might be good to post a pics or two so we can see what pieces of the steering you have...:)bulb..... I assume this is a flat...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Yes is a flat, 18' I will go out in the morning and get some pics of the steering that is there now, Will be a good time to do it As I have the engine and trans out of it. Is there any particular pics you would want to see or just several random pics?
Thanks.
Dan.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
This might be a good thread for some members who have good pictures of their various steering setups (cable inside and outside of stringer setups) to post them. Chain and cable steering, while simple can be somewhat intimidating to those who haven't done it. Just a thought. I'm sure there's many members who would benefit. As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rexone, Yes some pics of others would help greatly. Ours is outside stringer, It steers left and right correcty. last summer We had overheating issues which rex marine solved we bought a magnaflow water pump and cover. We drive slow am learning the boat. One time the cable clamp rolled over the sproket and derailed the steering cable, Then one end of the steering cable was longer than the other. I stupidly cut the longer end off, reattached it with a splice on the shorter end, I tightend the cable as tight as i could by hand. It had no turnbuckle to aid in this. We then were out in the river just slow cruise and i gave it a little throttle and i could feel the steering slip as the steering wheel was now 180* off from where it was. I thought this system was a 2 piece cable but since have learned it is one piece. What I meant by the steering system not being installed right was the fact that it slips. If I take my time follow the cable down with pics for memory reinstall with the new cable and get it TIGHT...lol. We think this will work ok. But this cable clamp we just bought has no squared end to use a wrench on and has no jam nuts to hold it where it should be after tight. It only has a small hole in its center, Not sure if anything stuck in this hole to turn the buckle tight would hold up without bending as the hole is so small. someone told me this cable should be bone tight and someone else told me guitar string tight? I doubt this turnbuckle will pull together that far it isnt very long. And do you just pull each loose end of the steering cable into the free end of the steering chain and clamp them or is there some sort of leading end that hooks the chain and cable together? As you can tell I need help! Lots of pros here on this site, that I am sure could help us. A pic of someones steering sproket, chain, turnbuckle and clamps would help me lots.
Thanks.
Dan

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Thanks Rexone, Yes some pics of others would help greatly. Ours is outside stringer, It steers left and right correcty. last summer We had overheating issues which rex marine solved we bought a magnaflow water pump and cover. We drive slow am learning the boat. One time the cable clamp rolled over the sproket and derailed the steering cable, Then one end of the steering cable was longer than the other. I stupidly cut the longer end off, reattached it with a splice on the shorter end, I tightend the cable as tight as i could by hand. It had no turnbuckle to aid in this. We then were out in the river just slow cruise and i gave it a little throttle and i could feel the steering slip as the steering wheel was now 180* off from where it was. I thought this system was a 2 piece cable but since have learned it is one piece. What I meant by the steering system not being installed right was the fact that it slips. If I take my time follow the cable down with pics for memory reinstall with the new cable and get it TIGHT...lol. We think this will work ok. But this cable clamp we just bought has no squared end to use a wrench on and has no jam nuts to hold it where it should be after tight. It only has a small hole in its center, Not sure if anything stuck in this hole to turn the buckle tight would hold up without bending as the hole is so small. someone told me this cable should be bone tight and someone else told me guitar string tight? I doubt this turnbuckle will pull together that far it isnt very long. And do you just pull each loose end of the steering cable into the free end of the steering chain and clamp them or is there some sort of leading end that hooks the chain and cable together? As you can tell I need help! Lots of pros here on this site, that I am sure could help us. A pic of someones steering sproket, chain, turnbuckle and clamps would help me lots.
Thanks.
Dan
Just a couple quick tips for wrapping the cable on the quadrant. The ends of the quadrant where the cable makes the hard bend is the place where the cables begin to break or fray. The cable should be inspected particular at this points as the fraying is hard to see. I always take a new quadrant and inspect and sand with a small die grinding sanding roll as necessary to radius that area the cable wraps around so it is smooth and has a radius for the cable to rest on. If in a high performance application you are well advised to use a heavy cast bronze or billet quadrant, I've seen many of the Nicson/Glenwood/Hallcraft types break (particularly the cast alum but bronze also). This would be in high speed boats that see a lot of action and vibration, not your 80-90 mph ski boat.

Also where the cable clamps to the quadrant which I assume is where you say it has slipped, we normally take a short piece of cable and wrap it around the opposite side of the quadrant web and clamp it to the main cable using 2 or even 4 cable clamps (double cable through these clamps. We use the copper electrical clamps as they are much stronger than the brass ones.

If you're saying the cable slipped at the chain in the front of the boat then you simply have inadequate clamps there, that should never slip. Again a point where I always use 2 clamps per cable. Also make sure you go up a link on the chain and do not loop the cable through the end link, better yet get one of the little deals (can't remember name right now) that the cables are designed to ride on. They use these in rigging sailboats a lot and the protect the cable where you wrap it around anything (in this case the chain link). I will get the name later for you.

·
Starfire Member
382 Posts
"Also make sure you go up a link on the chain and do not loop the cable through the end link, better yet get one of the little deals (can't remember name right now) that the cables are designed to ride on. They use these in rigging sailboats a lot and the protect the cable where you wrap it around anything (in this case the chain link). I will get the name later for you.[/QUOTE]

304 Stainless Type AN-100C Wire Rope Thimble

1 - 11 of 11 Posts