Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Will they bolt on to your motor, Yes.

Will they look good, No.

Will they hit the transom, Maybe.

Most V-drive headers angle the collector the wrong way (down), because of the way there motors sit. They might even hit the transom on some jet boats. But Ive seen some V-drives with Jet boat headers that looked good.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
They will fit however the angle of the collector/exit pipe will be off.
Yea, off by about 180 degrees.

V-drive engines sit backwards in the hull, engine front facing the baack of the boat.
I don't think the headers will bolt up on the opposite side to point to the rear, hence teh one aimed rigth @ the back of your head. :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes , you can spin them around on Chevy, I have done it , angle on V - Drives is slight downward where Jet is slight upward . like posted before just check transom clearance . :D

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Yes , you can spin them around on Chevy, I have done it , angle on V - Drives is slight downward where Jet is slight upward . like posted before just check transom clearance . :D
:)devil he's right, i don't think it looks to bad though when they point down slighty, sounds quieter that way to me.plus ya ain't gotta worry bout pluggin the collectors if it starts rainin at the lake:)bulb

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

V-drive engines sit backwards in the hull, engine front facing the baack of the boat.
I don't think the headers will bolt up on the opposite side to point to the rear, hence teh one aimed rigth @ the back of your head. :D

I certainly hope that was a funny haha, because the heads are the same (460 Ford or 454 Chevy, or virtually any other pushrod motor for that matter), there is no reason they would not bolt up backward, if that was a funny haha, carry on....:D

GT

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I certainly hope that was a funny haha, because the heads are the same (460 Ford or 454 Chevy, or virtually any other pushrod motor for that matter), there is no reason they would not bolt up backward, if that was a funny haha, carry on....:D

GT
I was being semi-serious, as I did not THINK they would bolt up reversed, but was unsure. Knew someone would come along who had done it somewhere.
I learnded somethin' today now about v-drive headers and exhaust head bolt patrerns. :)bulb Good stuff.
I WAS being funny noting, if instaleld "properly" you get one collector aimed at your head. :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
20* up would look pretty slick. :)

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Tahiti, on a jet boat, they will point DOWN. I broke in the engine you see in my avatar with a set of twisty V-drive headers. They only cleared the transom by about 1/4". The same style in jet headers cleared by several inches. If your motor sits lower in the boat than mine does(and I'm sure it does), v-drive headers probably wont fit at all.

Put jet drive headers in a v-drive and they will point upwards.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
So some say they will point up and some say they will point down,haha.
we took the blown 540 outta my uncle's hydro, turned the headers around and put it in his tx20, the rewarders point slightly down, and it doesn't look bad at all imo. matter o facto, we just bought ss turbo headers from mark that were built for a vdrive motor, and we using them on the tx20, they set teh turbos just slightly lower than they did on mark vdrive tunnel.

·
Apache Lake Monger
917 Posts

Not all v-drives mount backwards, I believe circle boats drive off the front of the motor so the torque of the motor makes them turn better. Not ball bustin just FYI;) And if I'm incorrect :)sphss Oh well it gives me another post:)devil

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Not all v-drives mount backwards, I believe circle boats drive off the front of the motor so the torque of the motor makes them turn better. Not ball bustin just FYI;) And if I'm incorrect :)sphss Oh well it gives me another post:)devil
You are correct. I think "Smokin" may have been living up to his name when he posted that........or, he just forgot to do his homework. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts