Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take my Casale v-drive out of gear and into neutral, roughly how much of a RPM difference should I see on my tach?

I adjusted the idle on my v-drive while it was in gear and in the water to 1,100 RPM's and when I put it in neutral it jumped up to 3,300 RPM's, is that normal or is there something else going on? It's a 440 Dodge with a "hot" hyd. flat tappet cam and about 10.5:1 compression. I don't know the prop size or the gears in the box. Thanks

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Something else is going on. If your running advance in your distributor it could be coming in and not helping the cause. Something to check. Might need tighter springs.

·
punk ass kid
524 Posts
A good friend of the family likes to set all of the boats to just barely run in gear. In fact if they die at an idle its a good thing. This is somewhat in the event of a mishap the boat will not continue to "cruise" itself. FWIW

·
Loose Nut on the Wheel
426 Posts
The way that I was taught was with the boat at temperature, set the idle to 1000 rpm with it out of gear. This will keep you from torturing the in/out parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I take my Casale v-drive out of gear and into neutral, roughly how much of a RPM difference should I see on my tach?

I adjusted the idle on my v-drive while it was in gear and in the water to 1,100 RPM's and when I put it in neutral it jumped up to 3,300 RPM's, is that normal or is there something else going on? It's a 440 Dodge with a "hot" hyd. flat tappet cam and about 10.5:1 compression. I don't know the prop size or the gears in the box. Thanks
When it is in gear its under a load when its in neutral theres no load on your motor so the rpms will go up thats normal .set your idle when your boat is in neutral and when you put it in gear you mite have to give it some trottle to keep it runing thats normal.:)hand

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did you look at your prop real closely to see if it's marked? I talked to Casale, he said they have archives on the v-drives if you e-mail him he may be able to give the history. How's she runnin? I dont remember there being a big rpm drop on mine but rarely go out of gear, I put the tranny in N and it still creeps along for low speeds.​

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. :)bulb Seems like a good idea for it to die when in gear instead of idling along. A 2,200 RPM gain sure seems like a lot to me though. I have a short list of things to check out.

Did you look at your prop real closely to see if it's marked? I talked to Casale, he said they have archives on the v-drives if you e-mail him he may be able to give the history. How's she runnin? I dont remember there being a big rpm drop on mine but rarely go out of gear, I put the tranny in N and it still creeps along for low speeds.​
Hi Terry. I looked and it's a Stellings chrome plated steel prop with the following numbers on it: 1 1 1/2 1 5 F 1 1 3 7 0 . It seems to run pretty good but I half-assed the job this far so I was kind of worried about flooring the throttle. I need to change the oil, filter (looks like it's ready to fall apart because it's so old), check the timing, look for vacuum leaks, etc... The engine has been sitting in a garage for at least 6 years but probably longer. I'm kind of worried about the valve springs but...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm putting a dead man on mine. It turns a little to the right so if I fall out, it's comming back. Your prop is an 11 1/2 inch, moves 15 inches per rev. About middle of the road, so I'm told. I would like to try a 16, maybe someday. Just read the cav plate thread, so I'm on my way out to the driveway w/ a straight edge. Boat porposses w/o foot on peddle, turns to the right a little out of the hole. Got any new pics or did I miss them?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Kill tether

Thanks for the replies. :)bulb Seems like a good idea for it to die when in gear instead of idling along. A 2,200 RPM gain sure seems like a lot to me though. I have a short list of things to check out. AND install......
/QUOTE]

C'mon you MUST use a kill tether....There is no good excuse not to. At about $20 bucks a kill switch is the cheapest insurance you can buy.....A kill switch and at least a "sport" type life jacket every time you get above plain. We really don't need any more horror stories in the v drive section. .....Ray

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kill tether, I'm guessing that's a kill switch with a string attached to the driver... I think I've seen them somewhere, maybe on Rex's site.

Although I'd bet it's a engine related problem, I don't know anything about v-drives or this boat, how do I check it for a bind? I know that when the engine was out I could easily turn the driveshaft with my hand while the box was in gear.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I would just start it in gear,I never could stand the "CLunk noise"......buy a life time guarantee starter. Seriously. Btw, Rod wtf are you doing over here??? You going to the dark side???:)grn

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Am I supposed to be starting it in neutral and then putting it in gear while the engine is running? I've been starting it while it's in gear.

The v-drive is just a water toy for me until I have my jet boat on the water and then I will have to sell it. The jet boat has more seating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts