Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I heard about a V4 Chevy not sure what it was in used in . I was told it was a 350 mines 4 cylinders kinda like the 4.3's are the same as a 350 mines 2 cylinders . The front of the block looks the same assembled .And the back will bolt up to anything the 350 will.
Do you have one ?
Do you have any pitchers you can post ?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
I never heard of one.

S CP

·
Banned
204 Posts
Scat V4 :)bulb
Seems like a good motor for a Vega.
The Scat V4 is based on the V8, to run in Full Midgets....never came in the Vegas.....and the early Vegas were fine once you put steel sleeves in them, I did a Zillion at Bill Longs

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
The Scat V4 is based on the V8, to run in Full Midgets....never came in the Vegas.....and the early Vegas were fine once you put steel sleeves in them, I did a Zillion at Bill Longs
Steel sleeves and cut the guides for p/c seals and you have a nice little engine.

If I recall, most of the midget versions fo the Scat were 164 inches (4 x 3.25) and when the were used in off road they went to 200 inches (4.125 x 3.75). Scats are cool, make good power, and are a baddass little unit, but they do have some issues, like the blocks never used a standard sleeve od or flange size... cam cores were a mofo to get depending if you were running roller bearings with or without a dist gear, babbet bearings with or without a dist gear, etc... and getting them to deliver any parts was at best, frustrating. Also they are VERY hard on timing chains because of the extremely odd firing order and heavy loads from the roller cam springs. At one point in the cycle the engine actually tries to go backwards like is you try to turn over your engine with only some of the rockers on. Belt drives don't last... and gear drives actually knocked the teeth right off due to this phenomena. At one point a guy I did machine work for used these a lot in off road, Doug Fortin, and was working on having scat build a split pin crankshaft to make a more even firing order... but they lost interest and based on the last I heard, I believe a fella back in Florida owns the patterns and tooling and is building them for motorcycles now. There were a few other guys down here that used to build them for off-road, Jim Horne, Doug Fortin, and Steve Dose. The last one I worked on with Dose we sawed up SB2 heads and put them on one... boy that thing made some good beans but was waaaaaaay to expensive time-wise to make it worth doing as you could go serveral directions to make better more reliable power for a lot less headache.

Despite all that... I think it would a bitchen motor to put in a Vega or some other smaller car as a 4 banger replacement. I wanted to put one in my Cortina, but was way outside my wallet so I settled on a 289. (yes... I do own a Ford powered Ford... but it's English Ford, so it's ok.):D

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I haven't seen any ford v4s .not saying they did not make them. but I have seen Wisconsin v4s in small ford tractors . I have seen tons of the wisconsin ones in stucco mixers and pumps .
Ford made a V4 for the Saab Sonnet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts