Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that most vacuum pumps are mounted on the front of the cylinder head. I am going to drive my vacuum pump of the Lenco driveshaft at the rear of the engine. Yes the pump is setup for reverse rotation. Does it matter how high the pump is mounted? What if I made a bracket coming of a motor rail to mount the pump to, would that cause a problem with the function of the pump?

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
It seems that most vacuum pumps are mounted on the front of the cylinder head. I am going to drive my vacuum pump of the Lenco driveshaft at the rear of the engine. Yes the pump is setup for reverse rotation. Does it matter how high the pump is mounted? What if I made a bracket coming of a motor rail to mount the pump to, would that cause a problem with the function of the pump?
My only thought would be the closer to the valve cover (or wherever you're pulling the vcuum from)the better, but other than that it shouldn't matter. Just make sure there's no movement beween the drive and the pump or your belt won't be happy.
ETA: The only other thought I had about this is during hard acceleration there may ba more of an accumulation of oil towards the rear of the engine, and the pump might ingest more oil than if it were pulling from the front. Not even saying that it makes much difference, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only other thought I had about this is during hard acceleration there may ba more of an accumulation of oil towards the rear of the engine, and the pump might ingest more oil than if it were pulling from the front.
Any idea what position on the valvecover would be best, given its toward the rear of the engine. For example, top of cover similar to a breather, or rear of cover but as high as possible? How much of the cover is actually filled with oil at WOT?

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Any idea what position on the valvecover would be best, given its toward the rear of the engine. For example, top of cover similar to a breather, or rear of cover but as high as possible? How much of the cover is actually filled with oil at WOT?
Probably as high as possible...maybe on the side, toward the intake, or high on the top. I wouldn't put it on the rear of the cover, and definitely not down low. If you can make some kind of baffle it would probably help some.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to be using a CFE sheetmetal intake and a Jesel front drive distributer, so that opens up the intake area where a distributer normally is. What if I picked up off the floor of the intake?

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
I'm going to be using a CFE sheetmetal intake and a Jesel front drive distributer, so that opens up the intake area where a distributer normally is. What if I picked up off the floor of the intake?
You'll still have to run some kind of disrtributor stub shaft, but off the floor of the intake should work. There's still a lof of oil flying around inside off the tops of the lifters so again, a baffle might be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll still have to run some kind of disrtributor stub shaft, but off the floor of the intake should work.
Yeah, a distributor plug to drive the oil pump. I was thinking in that area, not in the exact spot. I have a Star Machine vacuum pump and their baffel, but maybe an additional baffel in the opposite direction over the Star one. That would force the oil to travel in an "S" shape direction. Thanks for the help. Steve

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres my baffle and fitting. Do you think it will work under the floor of my intake manifold and prevent oil from getting to the pump?

Screw Auto part Nut

·
Registered
435 Posts
Heres my baffle and fitting. Do you think it will work under the floor of my intake manifold and prevent oil from getting to the pump?

View attachment 53821

View attachment 53822

i run a an fitting such as your's in the lower area of my intake floor but it has a tube aprox 4 inches long with a 45 degree cut on the end, the intake is 1'' pipe threads and the an fitting was drilled and 4340 moly tube was press into the fitting and then simply screwed into the floor of the intake near the dist on my bbc. if you need a pic i can e-mail you one.;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i run a an fitting such as your's in the lower area of my intake floor but it has a tube aprox 4 inches long with a 45 degree cut on the end, the intake is 1'' pipe threads and the an fitting was drilled and 4340 moly tube was press into the fitting and then simply screwed into the floor of the intake near the dist on my bbc. if you need a pic i can e-mail you one.;)
Yes, I would appreciate it if you could send me a picture. You can email it to me at [email protected] or you could post it here. Question, do you have much oil being picked up with your setup?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yes, I would appreciate it if you could send me a picture. You can email it to me at [email protected] or you could post it here. Question, do you have much oil being picked up with your setup?

here is a couple of pics of the pickup and of location of intake where it is screwed in, yes i pulled the dizzy just for you,

this was orig made as a pickup for the dry sump with a closed off intake galley,but it worked better as a pcv port on my wet sump, very dry in hose.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here is a couple of pics of the pickup and of location of intake where it is screwed in, yes i pulled the dizzy just for you,

this was orig made as a pickup for the dry sump with a closed off intake galley,but it worked better as a pcv port on my wet sump, very dry in hose.

Thanks a lot! I didn't expect you to tear apart your stuff, but it certainly is appreciated. I hope we meet sometime so I can repay you with a beer.

I went over to Paul Pfaff's at lunch today and was talking to Gorden about what I want to do. I feel sort of dumb after he gave me the answer. He said "if you want to draw vacuum out from under the intake, and don't want oil, just use a valley plate". Sometimes the obvious is to easy.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Make sure its baffled well Steve, you dont want excessive oil in the pump, been there done that.

Shaun, you do need a mill. However that part in the pic is available off the shelf if you wanted one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts