Performance Boats Forum banner

Value of a 1979 Sunkisst Jet Boat

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jcorkin 
#1 · (Edited)
1979 19' Sunkisst Jet Boat

Im looking at getting a 1979 19' Sunkisst jet boat, it has a 460 bbf with mild cam, edelbrock high rise intake, willys carb, nice exhaust, new valve train, 125 shot of nitrous that has only been used twice for around 2 seconds each time, msd distributor and coil. supposedly runs great and only needs to have a couple of the gauges wired in, trailer could use a paint job but otherwise is good. the hull is in good shape with only light to med scratches in the clear coat which should mostly buff out. seats are in good shape. has a berkley jet pump and hydraulic jetavator. just wondering if someone could throw a value out there on this boat prior to getting it tomorrow possibly. everything ive read online about sunkisst boats has been great and the berkley jet pump is the way to go so i know im off to a good start just havent seen too many priced online and just wanted to see what its worth. pics are of the actual boat. im thinking it should be worth at least $6000 if everything is as good as the guy says.

See less See more
#2 ·
nobody has an idea on value of it? not looking for an exact value just a ball park figure as i know its hard to put an exact figure on something you havent seen or heard run etc, just a value of what it would be worth if everything is good like the owner says. thanks in advance for any help.

#3 ·
I would say it depends are where you're at. On the east side or mid west this may be a good by at $6000.00. Out here in the west I'm thinking maybe $4000.00. There's so many variables with older boats you just can't set a value off of make, model and year. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. Good luck.

#5 ·
I don't personally now anything specific. I have seen other people inquire about them, and if I remember correctly, they were a decent hull. If you're serious about this boat, use your best common sense and treat it like a used car purchase. I look for problems in the hull, but I look more at the type of workmanship that is in the boat. If it looks like they've bolted everything they could find at the Pep Boys clearance sale in their boat, that detracts a lot for me. Look at the wiring and plumbing carefully. If it's loaded down with butt connectors every couple feet on all the wiring that's a sign you're in for trouble. The plumbing for the nitrous looks pretty sloppy from the pics. This boat looks to have a heat exchanger on the back of the intake, do you plan on running this in seriously cold water? This is added and needless plumbing for most jets, at least out west. Look it over closely and try to remove emotion from your decision if you can. I've seen more used cars and boats brought home and after the emotion cools down and you take a closer look, you see a whole bunch of shit you missed while you were looking at it as a possible purchase. Good luck.

#6 · (Edited)
Here is a little info for you... In looking at cars and boats a wise friend suggested to me, "what is it worth to you?" Take your time, try to keep your "little boy" emotions in check, check it out the best you can, take someone with you that has some applicable knowledge and will loook at it in a "different light" than you and ABOVE ALL!!!, NEVER TRUST THE SELLER, ie: "only two shots of nitrous for 2 sec each" and "supposedly runs great" :hmmm:.
If all checks out, and you like what you see, then the boat is priced right....Good luck!

MICCompanyAddressCityState
SOKSUNKIST BOATS OF MARTINRT #4MARTINTN

http://www.performanceboats.com/boats-sale/82175-1979-sunkist-18-jet-boat.html

Tennessee Classic Truck Club - View topic - 1979 Sunkist 18' Jet Boat

Forum - 1979 Sunkist 18' Jet Boat

Drag Boat City .com - Boats for Sale

#7 ·
i do not plan on running the boat in seriously cold water by any means but it is the midwest and im sure our water temps are cooler than yours most all the time. i will give the wiring a good look over and check everything out, i do know that only half of the gauges are hooked up but thats not a big issue for me as i use to build custom cars and i am currently active duty navy and i train all of the electronics technicians for the navy and ive been working on navy electronic systems for the past 9 years so re wiring stuff is not an issue for me at all and wouldnt bother me too much. ill actually be trading a 2005 skidoo mxzx440 snowmobile with a 2005 800ho motor in it for the boat, i value the sled around $3500-$4000 and just want to take sure the boat is in the same neighborhood price wise or higher in value as im not 100% sure that i will keep the boat yet, but there is a very high chance of me keeping it. im just trying to become as educated about the boat as i can before he gets here.

#8 ·
as for the nitrous the guy said it was installed 3 weeks ago and he has receipts for all of it and he took it out the day it was installed and sprayed it twice and the boat has sat since then. no real way to tell if he is telling the truth but i will check the dates on the receipts and if it lines up with what he is saying ill be inclined to believe him, thanks for the links im going to check out whats attached to them now.

#9 ·
well i went ahead and got it, boat runs great, needs a couple of little things here and there but nothing hard to or expensive to take care of, im thinking around $100 to make everything perfect. the paint job is original from sunkisst and still has the original sunkisst decals on it, ill try and get some more pics of it up tomorrow. also got a receipt from the shop that installed the nitrous and it was done 3 weeks and 2 days ago so im thinking the guy was fairly honest about it. no surprise when he showed up with it so makes me feel pretty good about the deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.