Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't belive I can't find a theread on valve adj on here I just went back 16 pages and didn't see it. I've been adjusting my valves like my machinest does but it seems like every july I have to run through em again. Can someone refresh my memory on the eioc or whatever it is? BTW mines a hyd flat. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I can't belive I can't find a theread on valve adj on here I just went back 16 pages and didn't see it. I've been adjusting my valves like my machinest does but it seems like every july I have to run through em again. Can someone refresh my memory on the eioc or whatever it is? BTW mines a hyd flat. Thanks in advance.
When the ex. opens do the int. when the intake opens and starts to close do the ex. valve for each cylinder

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just in July????If there hyd they really should not need to be touched.The most common way is when the ex opens set the intake ,when the intake starts to close set the ex.I have used the process for years.On a new engine I build that is hyd I leave the intake off and watch the plunger move down a bit so I know the customer cant bitch about valve train noise.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know why I have to adj. them so often unless I just suck at it. One last dumb question(yeah right). are the exaust valves the lower ones, and the intake the top ones? I guess if I'm suposed to adj. the other when the other starts to close then it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know why I have to adj. them so often unless I just suck at it. One last dumb question(yeah right). are the exaust valves the lower ones, and the intake the top ones? I guess if I'm suposed to adj. the other when the other starts to close then it doesn't really matter.
The ones on the bottom closest to the exhaust port is the ex. It does matter when the intake valve opens and starts to close do the exhaust valve on that cylinder then move on down to the next

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I think I've got it. when the ex starts to open, do the intake, and when the intake is wide open and just starts to close do the exaust. Thanks

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
phukin awesome

:mad: Would you believe I lost a lifter. I guess the cam is prolly gone too. I popped the valve covers and grabbed em all to see if any were obviously loose. And 1 of my intakes was so loose it wasn't funny. The cam still moves the push rod but it's way sunk down in he lifter bore.:):)punch:mad:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Spend spend spend its a boat,if you did loose a lobe get a hyd roller set up and it will live fore ever along with that msd.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Smoldering ember

:mad: Would you believe I lost a lifter. I guess the cam is prolly gone too. I popped the valve covers and grabbed em all to see if any were obviously loose. And 1 of my intakes was so loose it wasn't funny. The cam still moves the push rod but it's way sunk down in he lifter bore.:):)punch:mad:
Well, I'll say it again. The haphazard method of EOIC may result in confusion and skipped valves. Loose rockers adjusted at the wrong time will result in beat up valvetrain parts. The TDC method is dead bang sure, every time, and a lot harder to screw up. Start the flaming now, just blow on the smoldering embers from last time, and they should flame up nicely.............MP

·
Gone
1,825 Posts
LOL. Boy do I remember that thread. There is just no way I would try to sell you on "adjust the intake as the exhaust just opens......adjust the exhaust as the intake is almost closed"....but it works for me and has for about 30 years. And I am sure your method of TDC works the same for you.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Yeah.......Bob, I remember too.....

LOL. Boy do I remember that thread. There is just no way I would try to sell you on "adjust the intake as the exhaust just opens......adjust the exhaust as the intake is almost closed"....but it works for me and has for about 30 years. And I am sure your method of TDC works the same for you.
Just as I would never try to change what works for you and hundreds, if not thousands, of others. But, for a guy that has little experience it seems to be a way to screw it up. Just one distraction and one forgotten valve, or a misstep in the sequence......and............Ray

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
Well, I'll say it again. The haphazard method of EOIC may result in confusion and skipped valves. Loose rockers adjusted at the wrong time will result in beat up valvetrain parts. The TDC method is dead bang sure, every time, and a lot harder to screw up. Start the flaming now, just blow on the smoldering embers from last time, and they should flame up nicely.............MP
I remember that. On the solid roller with 1.8 rocker arm's .780 lift and 278/285 dur. at .050 the top dead center method works just fine and like you said in your next post I don't have to worry about forgetting something.

I have done it both way's back to back it's within a .001 close enough for me.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
As well as consistency in adjustment, ie the lifter is in the same spot on the cam every time you check/adjust.
Hey, it's even Mercruisers suggested way.....

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I guess I don't need to worry about it. My block is toast. At I'm 60 over already. And my cylinder walls at 6 and 12 o clock are "linear honed" lol Oh and just for the record I've never used the eioc method yet. Didn't make it that far.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Vami ,I didn't know they made .070 over. I'm in Utah. But hey I'm coming to florida fishing the 1st of sept ., maybe I could just take one home on the plane with me. lol:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yup SRP just looked them up 4.320 buts it only the big dome pistons 12-13 .You put one of these blocks in a suitcase and check it in.What part of Fl r u visiting?If your close we can take the eagle out and catch some bass.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll shoot ya a pm when I find it, it's a work sponsored trip through, one of my vendors. I'd love to go in the eagle.:D:)devil

1 - 20 of 31 Posts