Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have a manual on a Van Norman Model YW valve grinder. I was given one a few weeks back and would like some documentation. I over hauled the valve stem spindle today and got it working pretty good before one of the belts took a hike. First valve I have ground in almost 30 years!!
Thanks,
Denis

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Does anyone out there have a manual on a Van Norman Model YW valve grinder. I was given one a few weeks back and would like some documentation. I over hauled the valve stem spindle today and got it working pretty good before one of the belts took a hike. First valve I have ground in almost 30 years!!
Thanks,
Denis
Hey Dennis, take the belt (if there's enough left) to your local NAPA. There's a pretty good chance they can come up with something that will work, if not the exact replacement. They have listings for all sorts of industrial and fractional HP belts.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
That's good 'ol tried & true automotive machining equipment. :)

Plenty of stones, wheels, etc for your valve refacing machine may be purchased through www.goodson.com/

I have a Kwik-Way valve machine; the Van Norman line is carried through Kwik-Way. www.kwik-way.com/

But as noted above, the v-belt will run you, oh.....about $48, maybe $65. Better start with your local auto part store for that one and see what they might match up for you fro a lot less.

LO

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think your grinder is like Black & Decker machine that were red if so on EBAY there's a brand new belt for sale 18034120194 he has other parts to Don't for get to run the belt in and I AL ways run my machine at least once a week to keep belt from going out of shape and run my machine at least 15 min to warm up ever thing Be for any grinding. There are lots places that sell the stones if you need hard seat grinder have lots of them from long neck air craft type Sioux to( K-W long neck air craft type new never used) have new Sioux star grinder and used one have B&D grinders K-W And K-O-Lee FOR SALE TO and
other grinders to. I gave up use of stones 40 years ago . Also have lots of stone dresser's
Sioux- B&D- K-W and others . Have lots of pilots to reamers Email and i will call back your number. 50+years doing HYPO HEADS. ALSO have a I.D.L seat and guide machine for sale to.

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

I was hoping to get the belts before I tore it down, so I could go up and down in the same day. I have an account with Grainger, Applied Bearing, etc., so if it is not a special, I should be able to figure it out. There are actually 2 belts on this, and no telling at this point of time if either have been substituted. One ignorant question though. On my surface grinder I hold a diamond cutter on the magnetic table to dress the stone, and I can hold a 3/8 diamond stone dresser at the valve stem top dressing end of the Van Norman, but how do you dress the vavle face cutting stone?? The spindle is rotating, so obviously, you can't put a dressing diamont in that. The only way I can see to do it is clamp something to the arbor housing!? Both of the stones on this machine appear real coarse too. What are you guys using for a decent cut and good finish as far as grits go?
Thanks again,
Denis
PS, I will check out the Ebay stuff as well as the other distributor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you turn the valve head motor off? Like a B&D or is old style like a Sioux with removable diamond holder they mounted on slid table to cross the stone face at 45 deg or at 90 deg. I use atf with mine
ruby red S.S valves and a special coolant on titanium valves and and I think it is green stone long time haven used it in a while ?? post a picture of your machine i have old diamond holders from a long time back and one might work for you or email me a picture at [email protected]

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Van Norman

Can you turn the valve head motor off? Like a B&D or is old style like a Sioux with removable diamond holder they mounted on slid table to cross the stone face at 45 deg or at 90 deg. I use atf with mine
ruby red S.S valves and a special coolant on titanium valves and and I think it is green stone long time haven used it in a while ?? post a picture of your machine i have old diamond holders from a long time back and one might work for you or email me a picture at [email protected]

Everything spins when the motor is turned on, and appears that if cannot be seperated. Call me stupid, but there are (2) 5/16 18 holes in the front of the slide that I can make some kind of bracket for to hold the diamond dresser. Obviously, there was something originally sold with this machine to bolt on there for that purpose. Following is a photo of my little beauty!! ("A thing of beauty is a joy forever")
Thanks for all of the help,
Denis

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
:DDid you get chance to call Lacey M Williams and talk to Stan on a chuck he is the guy
I told you that makes the Accu Chuck for Sioux grinders? I would make a mount for the front I think that machine used a belt that had twist in it, When you turn the valve chuck head. It look to be
part SNAP-ON and part B&D the slid bed look like KO_LEE but no cable to valve head they made some of the snap-on grinders to. Peggy Green at Regis Warehouse 866- 457- 8975 or 507 457 0755 she knows what you will need on stones & drivers and Pilots

1 - 9 of 9 Posts