Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a boat last month, problem is the guy I bought it from had no, I mean no info on the motor. Not sure what to set the valve lash at. I'm thinking its a solid/Roller cam, but not sure.
Any thoughts?

What I do know: 671 blower 1to1. two Holley double pumpers. Crane gold rocker arms. "Hi perf" cast on the heads.
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
If you are sure it is a solid cam you should be safe setting them at .025. It can vary. From .020 to .030. Might even try .030 at first and see how it sounds. If noisy tighten them a bit more.

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
Look down at the lifter if it has a snap ring in the center it's hydraulic

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Look down at the lifter if it has a snap ring in the center it's hydraulic
What are you saying, GM type solids don't have a snap ring? I don't think I have ever seen a GM or non FE Ford solid that didn't have a snap ring. Just about every FLAT solid that oils thru the pushrod has a snap ring. Rollers and some side edge orfice solids do not. But if it has a oil hole in the waist band and controls the oil flow thru a enertia piddle valve, it has a snap ring.

Now it it has no snap ring, chances are its a solid roller. But then he would know that by the tie bars.

Crower Cool Face solid lifter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
What are you saying, GM type solids don't have a snap ring? I don't think I have ever seen a GM or non FE Ford solid that didn't have a snap ring. Just about every FLAT solid that oils thru the pushrod has a snap ring. Rollers and some side edge orfice solids do not. But if it has a oil hole in the waist band and controls the oil flow thru a enertia piddle valve, it has a snap ring.

Now it it has no snap ring, chances are its a solid roller. But then he would know that by the tie bars.

Crower Cool Face solid lifter.
look at the first post again.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I'm thinking its a solid/Roller cam, but not sure.

look at the first post again.

I did. Not sure what to make of that. Never seen solid roller written like that. Thinks? its a roller? I'm thinking if he doesn't KNOW its a roller or not, he doesn't need to know the lash, he needs someone to set it for him.

Not being able to tell a hyd from a solid strictly by looking is one thing. But a roller from a flat?

But you are correct, if its a solid roller, there will be no snap rings.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, Thanks for the help.

Pulled the valve cover and grabed the flash light. I don't see any tie bar. there is a snap ring like the one in GN7's photo.

Now i'm really not sure if it's solid or hydraulic. Sounds like .025 is a safe place to start, if it is solid.

also without moving anything i can get a .020 feeler gauge in some of them now, that's why i was thinking it's a solid. But the last owner had the boat for 6 years and never pulled a valve cover. so if your not checking the valves for 6 years must be hydraulic?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

Pulled the valve cover and grabed the flash light. I don't see any tie bar. there is a snap ring like the one in GN7's photo.

Now i'm really not sure if it's solid or hydraulic. Sounds like .025 is a safe place to start, if it is solid.

also without moving anything i can get a .020 feeler gauge in some of them now, that's why i was thinking it's a solid. But the last owner had the boat for 6 years and never pulled a valve cover. so if your not checking the valves for 6 years must be hydraulic?
You say SOME. Like MOST? Or 1 or 2? If you have SOME reasonable lash on all of them, its almost certain its a solid. Pretty hard to have a hyd cam have all the them loosen. Plus, if you have .020 on more than a couple, and it was a hyd, it would make a racket you could hear across the street.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You say SOME. Like MOST? Or 1 or 2? If you have SOME reasonable lash on all of them, its almost certain its a solid. Pretty hard to have a hyd cam have all the them loosen. Plus, if you have .020 on more than a couple, and it was a hyd, it would make a racket you could hear across the street.

I'm going to check them all now. I did not hear any valve noise.

I did a compression check the first day I got the boat, the cylinders were between 110 and 125 pounds one was at 95. I was thinking that cylinder had the squished Valvespring for a while.
I'll bet there's a fancy check the valve springs while there installed tool?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

I did a compression check the first day I got the boat, the cylinders were between 110 and 125 pounds one was at 95. I was thinking that cylinder had the squished Valvespring for a while.
I'll bet there's a fancy check the valve springs while there installed tool?
Not the most accurate, but good enough to tell if they are all within reason of each other. They don't all drop at the same time.
Its about the most inexpensive one out there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-62390/

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Does it run????

Does it run?? Have you tried to fire it up?? Rather than starting to change things, try to start it. It might run just fine the way it is.....
Ray

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Does it run?? Have you tried to fire it up?? Rather than starting to change things, try to start it. It might run just fine the way it is.....
Ray
A purely uneducated wild ass guess would say he has Ray. But then, it is a purely WAG, but I don't think he listened for valvetrain clatter on the starter motor or turning it over with a breaker bar. But what do I know.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It runs & sounds great. I've ben out to camp far west & Modesto Reservoir.

Just felt like I should be checking the valves.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I bought my Sanger it had been sitting for at least 8 years without being run. I asked the engine builder what to do to it and he said and I quote ... "put a battery and some effin gas in it and run it" I did ... it's working great. May even think about changing the oil now .....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I checked the valve lash:

1. Int .027 Ext .018

2. Int .020 Ext .042

3. Int .018 Ext .040

4. Int .016 Ext .016

5. Int .020 Ext .016

6. Int .034 Ext .014

7. Int .018 Ext .013

8. Int .016 Ext .016

Should I set lash at .016? or go with .025.
Thanks again for your time.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts