Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No its not a question of what's the right way or how do you do it. TDC works fine for me.

My question is, I find my self lashing them say once every 3-4 trips. Is this normal? I set them at .016. Also what do they Valve lash caps do? I know a stud girdle would help but that would require new valve covers. The rockers are Crane Gold 1.5's.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
if your under .600 lift, there is no need for one, but you should have at least ARP rocker studs, with the milled ends for the locks. If it's still changing that fast, might need to check into the cam and lifters for wear

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
if your under .600 lift, there is no need for one, but you should have at least ARP rocker studs, with the milled ends for the locks. If it's still changing that fast, might need to check into the cam and lifters for wear
Is it a flat, or a roller? Fwiw I played that game(with a flat), didn't think it was the cam because everything "looked" like it was fine(rockers were rockin). When it was said and done, one of my lifters ended up 1/4-3/8" shorter than the rest.:mad:

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Are you having to adjust them that often? I used to check them about every 3-4 trips out on my boat with a solid cam and it was rare that I'd need anything other than a feeler gauge to verify lash.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a roller. It just seems every time I take the valve covers off I always wiggle them and they seem loose so I readjust them. Some say it's because I'm doing it cold and to warm the motor up first. Others say that shouldn't matter.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
you should be fine doing it cold if you're using the cold
setting, if it's changing you have a problem

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
the thing with lash is you need to be consistent in the method you use to check it.

cam manufacturers will give you a hot or cold setting or sometimes both for your valve lash.

the engine expands with heat so there will be less lash when the engine is cold. fwiw, my motor (aluminum block) expands .012 once it heats up so if i check the lash when its cold, i know its going to be that much tighter.

how much of a change are you seeing in lash every 3-4 for trips? is it .001? I wouldn't worry about that.

as for the lash caps, those are there to protect the tip of the valve stem from getting beat up.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Its a roller. It just seems every time I take the valve covers off I always wiggle them and they seem loose so I readjust them. Some say it's because I'm doing it cold and to warm the motor up first. Others say that shouldn't matter.
they are going to wiggle depending on what stroke the engine is on when you grab ahold of the rocker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts