Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped the valve covers to find my valve train is not exactly what I`d like it to be.. pretty easy fix with some adjustable guideplates but my question is after about 30 hours this summer should I be concerned about any damage?

Could the valve guide be damaged?

This is the worst one:

The rest are a bit better:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My first question would be what guide plates are you using and what diameter pushrod? I am surprised the valve train was quiet or was it? Not to mention what cam and lifter combo are you using? Ever hear any popping out of the engine? M

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
My only response is...30 hours this summer ? Wow, good for you !!!
I'm sure someone with a realistic response will chime shortly, Jack.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first question would be what guide plates are you using and what diameter pushrod? I am surprised the valve train was quiet or was it? Not to mention what cam and lifter combo are you using? Ever hear any popping out of the engine? M
Bought the boat as is... guide plates are Comp cams, I`m not sure on the pushrod diameter, the valve train was quiet.
651 cam with Morel lifters. I wasn`t able to get more than 5300rpm due over propped, maybe that was a good thing.

Sunkist: both drives had to be rebuilt so I started my summer late.. usually its closer to 50 hrs. Are you saying thats a lot?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cam or lifters to much if it's a hyd. roller. Morel makes a great lifter and they take a lot of punishment! You're on the right track with the adjustable guide plates! I've had to use them on dart and world products heads. You're pushrod diameter is more than likely 3/8. It's an easy fix. I would inspect the tops of your valve stems, the rocker arm wheels and area next to the of the rocker body next to the wheels.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Sorry, I don't really understand what you are saying ?

Also, we had WAY better luck with the original GM plates too !
Most of the guide plates out there are pure junk. Manley's are some of the worst. The Comps are usually pretty decent, and fit Darts better than any non adjustable I tried. But then they were aluminum heads. Not sure if the Iron Eagles are that much different. I know they require a different shaft rocker setup than the Pro 1 and 320/360 Race Series heads.
That's the worse alignment I have ever seen, regardless the guide plate used. Amazing what some people will let out of their shop. Between this and Holorinhal's thread,:bangmyhead:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Whoever assembled that engine wasn't much into paying attention to important details. There is enough lateral adjustment in the guide plates as they sit which would have gotten rid of most of that. It just takes a second to check.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
That's partially caused by the large trunnion in those rockers. It can also be caused by push rods that are too long.
Makes me think the heads may not be Dart assemblies.
It can also be caused by using stock length studs with long valves and tall installed heights. That's usually the cause. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I`m referring to the length of the portion of the stud that screws into the head.. Dart can accommodate a 1/2" longer stud (bottom portion) on the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I`m referring to the length of the portion of the stud that screws into the head.. Dart can accommodate a 1/2" longer stud (bottom portion) on the exhaust.
:bangmyhead:
WTF!

After I posted that I looked at the pics and the set screw looked like it was pretty close to the top of the adjuster, indicating that the there was plenty of threads on the adjuster side.

Never seen a set of iron Darts, Didn't know they tap the exhaust deeper like the aluminum heads.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Not necessary on iron heads.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked into this a bit futher..

Straight from DART:

ROCKER ARM STUDSAll Dart big block heads use an exhaust rocker arm stud
with an increased thread length where it is installed in the
cylinder head. It has a 1.300” thread length for the raised
rocker arm boss. Do Not Use a Shorter Length.
Part# Dart 27002204 exhaust stud
Dart 27002223 intake stud
ARP 235-7202 Kit

·
Registered
640 Posts
Had a similar experience w some Crower SS rockers once. The outer trunnion bearing race moved in the rocker body. Throws the rocker off like yours. Can't really tell from your pics, but something to check along with them guide plates.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts