Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back, Nothing has changed, The year of the cars were just about the same. Guess it had been 25 years since it was closed down, On the way back little led zepplin and Jim Ladd

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
How often does this go down?...I have been hearing alot about it lately! might wanna take some pics next time! lol

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Just got back, Nothing has changed, The year of the cars were just about the same. Guess it had been 25 years since it was closed down, On the way back little led zepplin and Jim Ladd
Came from a SMALL town called Seattle to check it out in 79, it was worth the trip, right on.

·
Registered
865 Posts
MAN that takes me back !!!! I hung out on Van Nuys for quite awhile, even did the other Cruise spots during the week, San Fernando, Whittier, and alot of the Street Races too, remember hanging out behind the BofA with all the street racers..... when they took off you'd follow them and when it was all over, back to the blvd to cruise..... lost my verginity in a van on Van Nuys Bl.

·
#245 ITT
233 Posts
I remember those days - I didn't get to the Blvd to often though, it took a tank of gas in my 1970 440-6 'cuda, driving from home (Inglewood in those days) to Van Nuys Blvd and back. Car used to over heat on the Blvd too.

Spent most of my time hanging out at the Bob's Big Boy on Manchester (in Westchester) and racing along Pershing Drive. Watched the sun come up on many a Saturday and Sunday morning........

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
We got there about 7:15 and originally parked in the Ralphs parking lot. Was only about 20 cars there. Someone told us that the majority of people were at the old Rydell car lot. Apparently, the organizer (Groucho)got approval from them to let us use their parking lot. We went over to the Rydell lot and it was filling up fast. Saw many of my old street race buddies from back in the 80's and 90's so was like a reunion of sorts. Was an awesome turnout and much better than thought it would be. They are planning it once a month. Think the next one is planned for July 29th. I didnt take a camera either.

U

·
0 Posts
I remember those days - I didn't get to the Blvd to often though, it took a tank of gas in my 1970 440-6 'cuda, driving from home (Inglewood in those days) to Van Nuys Blvd and back. Car used to over heat on the Blvd too.

Spent most of my time hanging out at the Bob's Big Boy on Manchester (in Westchester) and racing along Pershing Drive. Watched the sun come up on many a Saturday and Sunday morning........
Inglewood??? Me too Morningside 69

Hawthorne Bl, Bob's and the A&W for us

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts

A 70' 440-6 Cuda, damn, what's that car worth today? One of my all time dream cars.

Any pics?

·
#245 ITT
233 Posts
A 70' 440-6 Cuda, damn, what's that car worth today? One of my all time dream cars.

Any pics?
Yeah and it was an original CA car (sold new at McPeek in Anaheim), still had it's blue and gold plate, was #'s matching with a shaker hood too! Super trak Pak (4:10 Dana) and 727. It hit it's peak value a couple of years ago, only $175K, in today's market it's probably only worth $100K.

Stupid me, sold it in the early 90's cuase it was a hassle to smog for reg renewal.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cruised Van Nuys once in the early in the early 70's with my 69 Corvette (still have it - a 427 roadster). Actually didn't go down for the cruise alone but to view the Winternationals as well. Was quite an experience for a young guy from Northern Alberta. Long drive there and back - experienced blizzards, snow over a foot deep, heavy rain, black ice and even an earthquake - but all in all a very memorable trip. Highlight of the evening on Van Nuys was racing a Hemi Charger (actually won). Bad part was the red flashing lights that came shortly thereafter. Hemi lost that deal too. Fortunately for us we were not stopped, guess we made the right turn at the right time.

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
Yeah and it was an original CA car (sold new at McPeek in Anaheim), still had it's blue and gold plate, was #'s matching with a shaker hood too! Super trak Pak (4:10 Dana) and 727. It hit it's peak value a couple of years ago, only $175K, in today's market it's probably only worth $100K.

Stupid me, sold it in the early 90's cuase it was a hassle to smog for reg renewal.
Holy shit, what a car. Well at least you can say you did own one, more than I can say. I can only dream.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Damn those bring back some great memories......I wasn't in CA but remember the cruising in my home town. Lots of great Iron in the musclecar days.:D

·
Registered
917 Posts
I moved to Simi Valley in 1988 and missed all the hot So Cal spots that I read about as a kid in Hot Rod and Rod & Custom. By then, Van Nuys Blvd was a crappy street with junky stores. San Fernando, Lions, OCR, Riverside raceways were all gone. I tried to organize some cruises in the Valley over the years but too hard to get it done and everyone got old. Got sick of the car show thing and the car clubs. Sold my hot rod shop and my '34 Ford 3 Window (in my opinion, the ultimate crusing machine, what I think John Milner would have had after his '32 5 window:D) and all my others cool cars. Now I got nothing and they start cruising Van Nuys again! Bad timing but I still will have to make a trip up there to check it out. How often are they cruising?

Attachments

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Is talk of doing the cruise once a month.

I moved to Simi Valley in 1988 and missed all the hot So Cal spots that I read about as a kid in Hot Rod and Rod & Custom. By then, Van Nuys Blvd was a crappy street with junky stores. San Fernando, Lions, OCR, Riverside raceways were all gone. I tried to organize some cruises in the Valley over the years but too hard to get it done and everyone got old. Got sick of the car show thing and the car clubs. Sold my hot rod shop and my '34 Ford 3 Window (in my opinion, the ultimate crusing machine, what I think John Milner would have had after his '32 5 window:D) and all my others cool cars. Now I got nothing and they start cruising Van Nuys again! Bad timing but I still will have to make a trip up there to check it out. How often are they cruising?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
We used to cruise Van Nuys every wed night when I was in H.S. I had a 73 Malibu with a 350, fat pipes, and Corvair turbo mufflers. It was slow as he!!, but it looked and sounded cool (it also had a big bench front seat with a tilt steering wheel;))

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:D Damn those were fun days !!! I think the absolute best years were from 1976 thru 1983, with 1979 / 1980 being the most crowded in all the years of cruising.
Old San Fernando road for street racing, start line under the freeway overpass, could hear them running from my parents house just below where Balboa Blvd meets the freeway.
Bob's Big Boy in Northridge, Winnetka for drags, 118 fwy in the early stages of being built was also a cool little know drag strip.
It was one Blvd that was a true melting pot, car fanatics, low riders, jocks thinking they were cool being there, lil hotties looking to be picked up by those that had they "really" fast cars, used to see lots of 68/69/70 muscle cars !!!, loved playin down there with my 70 1/2 Camaro, god were those good nights !!!!, then scrambling like hell when the "man" showed thier presence !!!
High School was awesome 1976-1979 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)hand:)hand

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
way before my time.

If any one is curious there opening a new bobs big boy on Sunland.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts