Performance Boats Forum banner

vdrive twin turbo blowthrough

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Hass828 
#1 ·
ok guys setting up a 18 foot flat bottom v drive thinkin about doing a twin turbo setup ive done alot of car/bike building racing with power adders
but havent done any boat setup looking at 2 different size turbo setups dont kow if one is to small or to big any advise.. engine will be at first mild smallblock chevy intake mild cam slight head work etc..
then within a year build it up to full out race as in big solid roller cam big heads etc etc prolly use a 750 4150 carb i dont want to get the small turbos then outgrow them and i dont want to get to big a turbo and never be able to use them ...anythought on these two diffent sizes
ill be using 2 of these...

heres the two turbos im lookin at
t3-t4
.57 compressor
.72 trim turbine
.60 a.r compressor
.63 ar turbinehousing

or 2 gt45,s
Inlet: 4 3/16" / Intake (ID/OD): 2.25"/3.25"
Inducer: 68.7mm / Exducer: 97.8mm
Trim: 69 / A/R: 0.66
Turbine:
Outlet: 4"
Downpipe flange: 3.5" V-band
Inducer: 87.4mm / Exducer: 77mm
Trim: 92 / A/R: 1.05

anythought on these ..if i need more info let me know..

See less See more
#5 ·
lol boat would prolly sink if it even had that turbo aboard...
might as well use it for a turbine and leave the engine out of the equation.....

so i guess the answer im lookin for is will a small block be able to spool up 2 gt45 turbos ? or would 2 be over kill... i dont have a problem runnin just one but i had everything routed in my head for 2(exhuast.etc )

#7 · (Edited)
id go with jus 1 s475 or s480 if it were mine, i used a hybrid built turb for my lil ls turb engine, 1.1 ar with smallll turbine and bigggg compressor wheel (80mm et-r) from jose at forced inductions. twins are cool and all but your runnin a sbc, and a single will spool faster and easier than twins;) well unless you jus buy tiny twins, then itll be bout the same.

buy a set of stainless sbc turbo headers off ebay for 160bucks, build yourself a merge pipe and mount a big single:)bulb

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
#10 ·
buy a set of stainless sbc turbo headers off ebay for 160bucks, build yourself a merge pipe and mount a big single:)bulb
yea i was think something along the lines of that[/QUOTE]

call turbodaves in dallas texas, order up 1 s475 1.32ar turb for 625 delivered, build a nice 383sbc, and get r done:)grn:)devil it'd make 20lbs easily and be pretty damn responsive, plenty nuff to burn the hell outta a prop leaving

#14 ·
yea i was think something along the lines of that
call turbodaves in dallas texas, order up 1 s475 1.32ar turb for 625 delivered, build a nice 383sbc, and get r done:)grn:)devil it'd make 20lbs easily and be pretty damn responsive, plenty nuff to burn the hell outta a prop leaving[/QUOTE]

What about turbos off a buick 3.8,GN would two of them be to much.? Also Chrysler had a 2.2 that was turbo'd.

#15 ·
call turbodaves in dallas texas, order up 1 s475 1.32ar turb for 625 delivered, build a nice 383sbc, and get r done:)grn:)devil it'd make 20lbs easily and be pretty damn responsive, plenty nuff to burn the hell outta a prop leaving
What about turbos off a buick 3.8,GN would two of them be to much.? Also Chrysler had a 2.2 that was turbo'd.[/QUOTE]

would need to see the maps to se what's up with the pr's, also need turb specs.without lookin id think they're prob gonna be big in a twin application, could be alil laggy.

ahh they've jus never seen it done right is all, still clueless bout blowthru carbs and such, they'll catch on soon as they get their ass handed to em by a sbc blow thru boat:D when you bring up turbos to some guys, they instantly remember driving someone's turbo charged factory deal in some buddy's car that took forever to make boost or need alot of rpms:)sphss or they'll tell ya how bad the "fair warning" taf boat ran so badly, but they never mention that crew had to run mechanical injection jus to be legal with turbs. of course it ran bad, and now everyyyy turbo boat runs like shit too lol, its funny when you know different

#12 ·
at 16lbs otta be making at least 800+ if intake air temps are kept in check, a 383 with the proper sized turb and carb is gna be sik in a vdrive, keep at it and you'll prove alot of vdrivers here wrong about a long standing dispute about wether it'll work or not in a flat.us turb guys say it will and then some, the naysayers are clueless bout blowthru tech and thinks its as laggy as drawthru types. if you chose to go the turb route, we'll be glad to help ya :)devil

#13 · (Edited)
yea i plan on doing it as i want something that i dont have to refill all the time and will be there when i want it..
it will be a blow thru carb for sure and a small block chevy for sure
i already have a brand new dynojet wideband2 with lcd display that i never used on one of my turbo bikes so i plan on using that for tuning and datalogging

twin or single will be the dispute and which turbo/or turbos will be used

my drawthru bike i had seemed very responsive .. may have just been the application its had a 60 45 area split on it dont rember exact number

and i also had a blow thru f.i mustang 302 with a 76 mm on it and it just seemed like i could have had a bigger turbo on it .. i had it maxed at 30 lbs..

ill be glad to take the help as i have a ton more questions and anymore insight will be gladly taken..

why does some not think it wil work in a flat?

heres the test bed..lol i have totaly stripped it and am doing body work as wee speek

#22 · (Edited)
Those GT 45's are a Masterpower turbo.
They are made in Brazil and seem to have worked good.
They are not on the same level as a BW or Garrett though.

The car on the dyno shows a good representation of how the boost comes on when you just flat foot the throttle. 1/2 way spooled up the torque comes on so strong it overpowered the tires on the dyno rollers.

Here's a good turbo car video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5XygHcsvk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.