Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of question's. It's a Vertex Magneto with a internal trasformer.

When I go to install it, what part points to the #1 spark plug wire on the cap?

Am I supposed to oil that felt thing or leave it alone?

My distributer has a fixed/locked advance of 12 degree's, if I want my timing at 36, then the mag should be dropped in at 24 degree's on the balancer, correct?

I'll know when the mag is in the right spot when the balancer shows me 24 degree's and the points inside the mag just begin to open, correct?

Can I use a regular timing light with a mag?

My cap has the numbers 1 -8 on it, all in a row. I compared the cap and the numbers with a DOM and the numbers definately don't refer to the firing order. So the number one plug will go to the # 1 wire, the # 8 plug (BBC, 18436572) will go to the # 2 wire, the # 4 plug will go to the #3 wire, etc... rcorrect?

As always very much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts
Here's how to wire the cap!. Now if the mag is locked out it's locked out period no advance, if the tag is stamped 12 degrees that means it's not locked out and it has a curve and there is 12 degrees in the mag, you're right about setting it in there though!. If the mag is in good shape don't touch anything!...

Attachments

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts
Geez...you must save everything! Surely the Smithsonian wants that!
LOL, Joe Hunt gave me that sheet himself back in the late 70's, been in the tool box ever since it is getting kinda flimsy though,LOL. It even has instructions how to time it on the back!..:D

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
Well I just had to save that pic. I never had such advantages of destructions on how to do such. Always had to just trace the terminals.
I'm wiser now!:D

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
The rotor points at #1.
I have always heard buzz box....but I don't use one anymore. I use a timing light.
I bet the reverse side of Gofastracers instruction sheet will call for a buzz box.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Relative

The rotor points at #1.
I have always heard buzz box....but I don't use one anymore. I use a timing light.
I bet the reverse side of Gofastracers instruction sheet will call for a buzz box.
I also use a timing light. I figure the timing is all relative anyway. What I mean is, if I think I'm at 38* with the light and I want to go to 36* or 39* it is all relative to where I am now, not an exact number. Make sense?......I'm tuning from and to performance, not from and to an exact number. As far as initial installation, set your degree on the front, grab the strap of the mag and turn the housing until it lights up you day!! You're there..............:D:D:D....Ray

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I just bought a new pos buzz box. It was a nice way to spend $150 bucks for absolutely nothing. Timing gun is were I ended up.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
I also use a timing light. I figure the timing is all relative anyway. What I mean is, if I think I'm at 38* with the light and I want to go to 36* or 39* it is all relative to where I am now, not an exact number. Make sense?......I'm tuning from and to performance, not from and to an exact number. As far as initial installation, set your degree on the front, grab the strap of the mag and turn the housing until it lights up you day!! You're there..............:D:D:D....Ray
Could not have said it better.

I turn the motor over to the crank position I want it to fire (usually 34 degrees on the blown alky stuff and a locked mag)...drop the mag in a point it at #1. The I look at the points...move the mag a little to where the points just barely are starting to seperate. Lock the mag down. Usually I am within 1 to 2 degrees when I check with a timing light.

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts
I got a buzz box never used it why, because every time I stick the mag in I forget that I have one and put it in the conventional way and use a light, LOL..:D

And for those that want the instructions!..:D

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts