Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what do you guys recommend for a 460 BBC build up w/holley850 dp/ mech secondaries. performance ski/cruiser w/ this cam? VICTOR JR OR RPM AIRGAP?
RPMS 5500-6000MAX?

Competition Cams K11-456-8 Xtreme Marine Camshaft Kit Opt.Retro-Fit Hyd Roller2800-6200rpmAdv.Dur. 296 Int./302 Exh.V.Lift .566 Int./Exh.Lobe 112 deg.Incl.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Here we go again........................ ;) This seems to be a favorite topic.

I'm a fan the the Air-Gap but over time my "boating family" has shown so light on this subject..... An Air Gap will would, but if you plan on running that thing over 5,000 the Victor Jr. will be a better choice.

In a "cruiser" family ski boat that will live from 2,700 to 5,000 99% of the time I think the Air Gap will out perform the Victor Jr. for the most part. If you're going to run it and what to rev it to 6,000 from time to time the Victor Jr. is probably you better choice.

S CP

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
just remember...the Air Gap is a dual plane & the Victor Jr is a single plane! :)...if the carb is jetted rite, i think the Air Gap is a better choice for pulling skiers etc :)...just sayin' my .02 cents :)

FastRat

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't want to be having to be screw with the carb set up all the time. we're at altitude here so i don't think i'll have as much forgiveness. starting up and running well pulling skiers and hammering it to get them out is most important. if i lose a little in the top so be it. it will still be faster than my old stock 455 w/ q jet.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Question > if a engine is hitting the wall at 5400 > would the Victor Jr alone give you more RPM?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I don't want to be having to be screw with the carb set up all the time. we're at altitude here so i don't think i'll have as much forgiveness. starting up and running well pulling skiers and hammering it to get them out is most important. if i lose a little in the top so be it. i will still be faster than my stock 455 w/ q jet.
Don't throw the q-jet away until after you find something that runs better. My ol spread bore hit like a mofo on my old 455 olds.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Question > if a engine is hitting the wall at 5400 > would the Victor Jr alone give you more RPM?

How do you know it's not the impeller ?

S CP

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
How do you know it's not the impeller ?

S CP
Let me ask it this way > (if) a engine is hitting the wall (tuned as good as it'll get) at 5400 with a duel plane intake(Stealth) would swapping it for a victor Jr/single plane bring on any more RPM?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Let me ask it this way > (if) a engine is hitting the wall (tuned as good as it'll get) at 5400 with a duel plane intake(Stealth) would swapping it for a victor Jr/single plane bring on any more RPM?
well here's my .02 cents. i have a bbc 454 with a holley 750dp, victor jr. intake, crane 282 cam and 781 heads. i top out at 5600 rpm's with my motor/pump combo. i reached max rpm's with this cam, so i'll be swapping out cams this winter.

the only way to know is to buy it and see what it does. if it works, then you will add a few rpm's and if it doesn't, we'll see it for sale in the classifieds.

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
will i notice any difference up to say 5200rpm between the two? will there be any jumps as i accelerate smoothly. If i'm reading this right the victor jr will get me higher top end, but will i suffer a "bog" at idle, off idle, of lower cruise rpms on plane say 3400 rpm? I would love the best of both worlds of course. reliablity and ease of set-up and still being able to jump on it hard every once and a while. i'm not gonna say i don't want to go fast.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i like the victor jr.

i run a 555cu. dart with aluminum heads etc with a victor jr ,a proformer 850 and pulled 650hp at 6100 ...in runs like a beast around 5500-6100rpm ,just my experience...loves 4100rpm obviously just in my rig

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
ineeddasun, any problems at the lower rpm's? say 3200. if i'm pulling kids on the tube i can't do it a sixty.
You will have ZERO problems below 3,000 with the Victor. Put the Victor on it and never look back (unless your racing someone with an Aircrap intake then you'll be looking back at them all the time).
The Victor will work great now and it will work great with future power upgrades...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
You will have ZERO problems below 3,000 with the Victor. Put the Victor on it and never look back (unless your racing someone with an Aircrap intake then you'll be looking back at them all the time).
The Victor will work great now and it will work great with future power upgrades...
The one thing I keep trying to relay to jet guys is, if you want R's it needs a Victor. How often does a jet boat run below 3000 R's WOT. Now 330HP engine the was never going to see the far side of 5000 ever.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
The one thing I keep trying to relay to jet guys is, if you want R's it needs a Victor. How often does a jet boat run below 3000 R's WOT. Now 330HP engine the was never going to see the far side of 5000 ever.
Great point.............:)devil

·
Registered
123 Posts
never a problem

remember my rig is a 28ft sleekcraft hammer,not a jet i think at 3200 i could pull my f350 through the lake...i'd look to the experts they say victor run it ..i love mine ..actually gonna try one on my wakeboard boat his winter with a 650cfm, 350cu 330hp...one thing is for sure in boating thats a quick and cheap swap if ya dont dig it ..it will sell in a day on this site if ya dont like it..

·
Registered
829 Posts
will i notice any difference up to say 5200rpm between the two? will there be any jumps as i accelerate smoothly. If i'm reading this right the victor jr will get me higher top end, but will i suffer a "bog" at idle, off idle, of lower cruise rpms on plane say 3400 rpm? I would love the best of both worlds of course. reliablity and ease of set-up and still being able to jump on it hard every once and a while. i'm not gonna say i don't want to go fast.
Once I set my carb to how I like it, I never re-set it, unless I'm changing engine internals. Little to no maintenance with this stock motor.

ineeddasun, any problems at the lower rpm's? say 3200. if i'm pulling kids on the tube i can't do it a sixty.
Your either setting it up to go fast or pull skiers. You won't have any hestitation at 3K rpm's, but your fuel consumption will suck. It's a jet boat with a DP carb, its bound to drink fuel by the gulp.

If you want to pull skiers or tubers, pick up a bayliner. If your using the recommended A-series impeller, then your limited on speed based on your engines capabilities and jet set-up.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I'm hip to that but, for myself I'd need it to be friendly around docks and some of the longer No-Wake Zones I encounter.
I'll look for one on eBay > this way if it doesn't add any RPM it won't be too much of a out of pocket waste.
Or, maybe first try a 2" spacer like my BFF GN7 suggested ;)

EDIT > on second thought (my) Weiand Stealth's basic Operating RPM Range is Idle-6,800 and I'm just reaching for a few hun over 5400.
Ain't no single plain going to help me unless I cut the Impeller, which I ain't going to do...looks like I hit the wall at my current 5400

1 - 20 of 75 Posts