Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am running a 502bbf w/aluminium scj.heads weiand tunnel and two holleys...in my ski hydro ,the boat rips..... guessing somewhere around 600hp but i am considering running a bottle...is it possible to run the smaller shot 75-150 hp with two carbs .im getting mixed answers pertaining to the gas nos mix with lower shots...my motor is very reliable and it not a race boat but im thinking i would like some more pop....yes i know like many i want to run a blower motor particulary a bbf just to be somewhat different eventually but thats a ways off...asking the pros for advice ...lets here it

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
I've ran upto 100hp shot with pump gas 91oct about 5 years ago with out issues using a timing retard box and never had issues. not sure the effect of the newer fuel would have with nos

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for a response

I've ran upto 100hp shot with pump gas 91oct about 5 years ago with out issues using a timing retard box and never had issues. not sure the effect of the newer fuel would have with nos

i usually am running my gas over a hundred octane ...either mild hot gas or mixing it...my compression is pretty high...did you notice any significant gains in speed or "plant ya in your seat" kinda improvement...

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
What type of NOS system? The smallest shot I've ran is 125 using a fogger and I had no issues. Used the retard option on the MSD similar to what Jeremy mentioned above.. I could tell a noticable difference when it came in.. I would think by adding another 100 shot with your 600HP you would definitely feel it.. If your willing to do some leg work, go over to www.yellowbullet.com, they have a very knowledgable fan base over there..

·
Distinguished Member
5,786 Posts
Yes, you can do it and it will work very well. Back in the day I had a flat that ran 8.30s and needed to run 8.0's to be competitive. On that boat I hit it with about a 75 HP shot for the full pass to close the ET gap. I ran a single plenum bar down the middle of the tunnel ram and had access to the jets on the end.
I still run a small shot of NOS in my current flat but use about 125 HP on a timer to make a 9.40 boat run 9.0's. When the timer runs out, you can definitely feel the difference in acceleration. This boat is a single 4 barrel ski boat and I use a basic cheater plate.
NOS is sex in a bottle and pretty easy to use at smaller HP shots. Like Vince said, the Nitrous Forum on Yellow Bullet is a big help.
Good luck....

·
I know nothing
82 Posts
We have a '71 Sanger flat with a bored 396 with dual Holley's and a 150 shot. I'm not sure what the motor HP is but it pushes 76-78 mph (using my GPS) off the gas and low 90's on(previous owner says this, my GPS took a doodoo when we made passes on the bottle). It's not a rocket by any means but there is a VERY noticeable difference in the way the boat jumps out of the water on the bottle and we haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advice

i will check into yellow bullet...i have no problem throwing 125 shot i just thought that if i ran a variable jet system i could keep it reliable and when im out with the big boys i could push into the 100mph club...like i said the boat is pretty snappy now...of course when your brother has a 1000hp blown flatty its tough to compare....greatly appreciate the help and advice...always ready to listen...thanks again to all
Ray

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
i will check into yellow bullet...i have no problem throwing 125 shot i just thought that if i ran a variable jet system i could keep it reliable and when im out with the big boys i could push into the 100mph club...like i said the boat is pretty snappy now...of course when your brother has a 1000hp blown flatty its tough to compare....greatly appreciate the help and advice...always ready to listen...thanks again to all
Ray
You have a nice set of heads on your engine, assuming you have as nice of intake/carb... That top end would be much happier with more cubic inches AND you could drop your CR at the same time...

I started to reply to you before but my computer locked up and I lost my response...

What is the dish like on your pistons (CR)???

You could save the $$$ from laughing gas and start building a big inch short block that would give you far more bang for your buck SAFELY...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have a nice set of heads on your engine, assuming you have as nice of intake/carb... That top end would be much happier with more cubic inches AND you could drop your CR at the same time...

I started to reply to you before but my computer locked up and I lost my response...

What is the dish like on your pistons (CR)???

You could save the $$$ from laughing gas and start building a big inch short block that would give you far more bang for your buck SAFELY...

well thats the plan over this winter...basic rundown is ...flat top pistons ...aluminum sj heads weinand high rise with two 750cfm holleys msd ig.and dist.bassett water headers ..etc...as for the build i love chevy and ford but the ford is different yes it has two less head bolts but ...i want to build a blown ford probably over a yr or so ...somewhere in the 900-1000 hp...and actually a broken motor would make the new build faster ...lol...funds are limited considering the blower motor would be over 10k atleast ..and thats kinda dreaming...

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
well thats the plan over this winter...basic rundown is ...flat top pistons ...aluminum sj heads weinand high rise with two 750cfm holleys msd ig.and dist.bassett water headers ..etc...as for the build i love chevy and ford but the ford is different yes it has two less head bolts but ...i want to build a blown ford probably over a yr or so ...somewhere in the 900-1000 hp...and actually a broken motor would make the new build faster ...lol...funds are limited considering the blower motor would be over 10k atleast ..and thats kinda dreaming...
Right, so with flat tops and those heads on top your right around 13:1.

In the ON THE DYNO section Darksarcasim/LakesOnly/Steelcomp can give you some real (dyno sheet) examples of what you can obtain from a biger inch/lower compression build using those sweet heads... That will like premium pump gas.

:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp

How about some pics OR video of your ford in action?

·
Distinguished Member
5,786 Posts
.....You could save the $$$ from laughing gas and start building a big inch short block that would give you far more bang for your buck SAFELY...
We run a big inch pump gas deal and agree that's the way to go for all around HP that gets used a lot. However, in terms of "bang for the buck" NOS is the best HP deal in town. 250+ HP for $500 is a pretty good deal compared to $5k+ for a decent short block. And done correctly, it's as "safe" as any other power adder. That said, I prefer to use both :) but as always, YMMV...

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
We run a big inch pump gas deal and agree that's the way to go for all around HP that gets used a lot. However, in terms of "bang for the buck" NOS is the best HP deal in town. 250+ HP for $500 is a pretty good deal compared to $5k+ for a decent short block. And done correctly, it's as "safe" as any other power adder. That said, I prefer to use both :) but as always, YMMV...
I agree with you on getting a quick 250 shot, my main thought which I didn't convey was this.

The stock CJ heads from ford didn't really start to work until well (across the board) until you were up in the 500" range and with the improvments that he has in his revised version ALUMINUM CJs (whichever version) that even compounds what you see in the CJ heads with a smaller displacement mill. The point that I was trying to make is that his heads can support and will work better on a much bigger bottom end.

For a lake hotrod a 500" engine may run even better all around with less head (which isn't an option), that is what I'm driving at.

Considering the 13:1 +/- CR and open headers, how hard is it to tell when she starts to knock? I would hate to see someone trash a nice set of heads when a new bottom end is on the horizon.

I guess it is all relative to your pocket book. :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting that his heads are anywhere near P51's OR that his cam is a Kasse custom grind but then again, if he stepped up to something with at least 4.5" stroke in a WELL planned build who knows...... :rolleyes:

Check these numbers:

Compression of 520 with P51's - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum

starting 638 c460 head build up - 460 Ford Forum

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
sorry vie been busy this week

ya some good info ..i will check into that post in dyno..very inerested...what i was gonna do being as summer finally has arrived in nor cal was to run my motor as is with or without nos...like i said the boat is pretty friking fast..and start to collect a 460 block and start the bottom end build for a blower motor..then swap my heads on over winter and finish the build...hard part is bbc parts are everywhere complete builds with barely any time for reasonable prices making it more difficult to do something different because of the massive price difference...i have a 92 sleekcraft hammer (enforcer)28ft with a merlin 555 milllld but great build throwing 700hp easily single carb...it runs really strong i am considering building a blown version of something big inched like that ...nitrous seemed like a 1200 dollar relatively safe boost of an easy 125hp for the summer...again greatly appreciate all the help and support
ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i see you said something about the heads

I agree with you on getting a quick 250 shot, my main thought which I didn't convey was this.

The stock CJ heads from ford didn't really start to work until well (across the board) until you were up in the 500" range and with the improvments that he has in his revised version ALUMINUM CJs (whichever version) that even compounds what you see in the CJ heads with a smaller displacement mill. The point that I was trying to make is that his heads can support and will work better on a much bigger bottom end.

For a lake hotrod a 500" engine may run even better all around with less head (which isn't an option), that is what I'm driving at.

Considering the 13:1 +/- CR and open headers, how hard is it to tell when she starts to knock? I would hate to see someone trash a nice set of heads when a new bottom end is on the horizon.

I guess it is all relative to your pocket book. :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting that his heads are anywhere near P51's OR that his cam is a Kasse custom grind but then again, if he stepped up to something with at least 4.5" stroke in a WELL planned build who knows...... :rolleyes:

Check these numbers:

Compression of 520 with P51's - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum

starting 638 c460 head build up - 460 Ford Forum

about which version.... what do i need for you too know which version? they were on the motor when i got it, they are definatley the newer aluminum heads not the old heads less then 5yrs old...any thoughts

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
about which version.... what do i need for you too know which version? they were on the motor when i got it, they are definatley the newer aluminum heads not the old heads less then 5yrs old...any thoughts
May be a good point to start a thread in ON THE DYNO with some pics of any details/features/markings that are on the heads asking that very question, Im sure that we can sort it out in short order. :))THumbsUp

·
Distinguished Member
5,786 Posts
ya some good info ..i will check into that post in dyno..very inerested...what i was gonna do being as summer finally has arrived in nor cal was to run my motor as is with or without nos...like i said the boat is pretty friking fast..and start to collect a 460 block and start the bottom end build for a blower motor..then swap my heads on over winter and finish the build...hard part is bbc parts are everywhere complete builds with barely any time for reasonable prices making it more difficult to do something different because of the massive price difference...i have a 92 sleekcraft hammer (enforcer)28ft with a merlin 555 milllld but great build throwing 700hp easily single carb...it runs really strong i am considering building a blown version of something big inched like that ...nitrous seemed like a 1200 dollar relatively safe boost of an easy 125hp for the summer...again greatly appreciate all the help and support
ray
You can do a easily do a 125HP-250HP shot for less than $600 with a good plate. If you're wanting to go much past 200-250HP, IMHO a fogger becomes a better way to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts