Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an opportunity to buy a 53 Chevy Coupe project. The car has been passed on between a few people as a project which has yet to be finished. Who knows how far back the title wasn't passed, but all I can get is a bill of sale. Is there way to check the VIN and find out what I will need to do to get it titled and registered when it is done? I trust the guy I'm buyin it from but just want to make sure I'll be able to get her on the road.

· The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
So I have an opportunity to buy a 53 Chevy Coupe project. The car has been passed on between a few people as a project which has yet to be finished. Who knows how far back the title wasn't passed, but all I can get is a bill of sale. Is there way to check the VIN and find out what I will need to do to get it titled and registered when it is done? I trust the guy I'm buyin it from but just want to make sure I'll be able to get her on the road.

get the vin number and plate if you have it and take it to the DMV they should be able to tell you everything. hope its been non oped all this time. as for a new title you may have to take it to the chp for a vin verification. the DMV will tell you all you need to know. good luck

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Pink slips drop out of the dmv system after 7 years of no registration. I have a car that hasn't been registered in 21 years just have to get a temp and take to dmv to be checked out. It helps if they have the last pink no matter how old it might be.

· no need 2 fake it.
1,678 Posts
im in a similar situation, bought a baja bug from a guy (lets call him guy B) in march and he had bought it 2 years prior to that, the guy (call him guy A) he bought it from had lost the title, so subsequently guy B never got one... (purchases all done in san diego) and now i can't get a title from CA because guy A is nowhere to be found as they didnt know eachother and guy B doesnt have any records other than a bill of sale from A to him, and now B to myself (i actually have the records, and he has copies) what do i do? buy another VW pan and cut the vin out of it and sell scrap the rest? im at a loss here guys! i want to drive this bad jackson on the street this winter!

· The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
im in a similar situation, bought a baja bug from a guy (lets call him guy B) in march and he had bought it 2 years prior to that, the guy (call him guy A) he bought it from had lost the title, so subsequently guy B never got one... (purchases all done in san diego) and now i can't get a title from CA because guy A is nowhere to be found as they didnt know eachother and guy B doesnt have any records other than a bill of sale from A to him, and now B to myself (i actually have the records, and he has copies) what do i do? buy another VW pan and cut the vin out of it and sell scrap the rest? im at a loss here guys! i want to drive this bad jackson on the street this winter!

run a lien on it. when it come back clear its yours and a new title can be created using your exsisting vin should cost you less than 100 to have the lien run

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.