Performance Boats Forum banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I have a maja exactly like the one second from right. Love that ski. Skiid on it 2 years ago at 78. The Lou's brothers( my sons) decided the technology was too old and I needed a more current ski. Skiid on one sons, but I prefer the old one.

mslou

So...... Mama Lou.... are you saying that you prefer the older son? I guess that only a mother could prefer that one!

You really shouldn't come onto a public forum announcing that you prefer one son to another.....................I know that Ron and Pat will really hate hearing that news. I don't know the last one.................maybe he won't like the news either.

Good luck on the skiing ...........................make sure to stretch real good..............my 80 year old Pops pulled a hammy when trying to ski a couple of years ago.

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
So...... Mama Lou.... are you saying that you prefer the older son? I guess that only a mother could prefer that one!

You really shouldn't come onto a public forum announcing that you prefer one son to another.....................I know that Ron and Pat will really hate hearing that news. I don't know the last one.................maybe he won't like the news either.

Good luck on the skiing ...........................make sure to stretch real good..............my 80 year old Pops pulled a hammy when trying to ski a couple of years ago.

:D
Actually, it was Ron, otherwise known as my favorite son or Speed racer. He has an "old man " ski that even he doesnt like. My maja is 45 years old and my husband Don bought it from Bob Maher when we were in the boat business in No. California. I'll admit it takes a fair amount of strength to get this body out of the water, but I still love it once I am on the water. The older son, Mike, had a "Cypress Gardens Little Monster "ski that his Dad threw up the mountain when Mike came in too fast and kicked the ski off and scared the heck out of Ron, who was standing in the water ready for a beach start. (Sniveling younger brothers !!")
I really loved the Maja racing ski I had too, but the double binding was a little tuff to get used to. I ski with handles and I think I got the last dusty old handle ski rope from our local boat shop. Good advice on the stretching. Many stories and many good times... to be continued.

·
Credaroli Images
16 Posts
My Mom had a Velmar made for my dads birthday in the late 60's, and my dad got my mom a Vogue for their Anniversary that same year. I've got both of the ski's now. I competed in slalom tournys in the early 90's and my parents convinced me to take their skis each for a ride one day. Man... I have lots of respect for people that were able to ride those skis. To me they feel like a flatty without a turn fin. SLIPPERY. A modern slalom ski turns and slows down like an F1 car compared to these older skis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
andy clark built for meg toilin

I have a Andy clark ski with a tag on it that says it was made expressly for meg tolin maybe considering selling in it if anyone wants pics please e-mail at [email protected] I would also like to know who meg tolin was if anyone knows thanks Dan

·
Registered
731 Posts
Vintage skiis

I have 2 early '60s? formica Andy Clark speed skis with made for plaques.
I would like to get mid '50s speed skiis to display with my 1955 wood Joe Mandella twin prop-twin rudder speek ski boat.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
...Vintage Skis On Craigs List...

...Obrien,...Dick Pope,...Vogue,...Taperflex,...&more...

...No clue on how to post the link,...but here is the Phone #...
...702-884-9005... ...Las Vegas...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vintage White Stage water skis

I have a pair of vintage White Stag (from Oregon) - trying to find out any information on them that I can, age etc. - also what they might be worth. They are in pretty good shape. Thank you.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Binding upgrade

TOR,
I have some near new Connelly double boot bindings that would look great (matching yellow color even!) on that ski. Here's a pic. You can have them for $75.00 (inc. shipping). PM me if interested. Jocko

Attachments

·
aka Ryan Partridge
403 Posts
TOR,
I have some near new Connelly double boot bindings that would look great (matching yellow color even!) on that ski. Here's a pic. You can have them for $75.00 (inc. shipping). PM me if interested. Jocko
Thanks for lookin' out Jocko but I've got some HO bindings I'm gonna throw on.

·
aka Ryan Partridge
403 Posts
Here's my two Bassett slalom skis. The one on the left is the first model they made, "Honeycomb Graphite 7000", manufactured by Jobe. The ski on the right was manufactured by someone else(not sure who) and was called the "Graphite 7000". I'm told it was cheaper in quality and didn't last long. From my understanding there was one other model made possibly called the "Honeycomb Graphite 3000"(?) that was gray with the same Bassett graphics. I'd love to find one if anyone has one!:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sjpeed skis

I am still looking for a period correct speed ski to display with my 1955 Joe Mandella speed ski boat. It was built with twin props-twin rudders. I have all the original hardware. the hull is completely restored.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I am still looking for a period correct speed ski to display with my 1955 Joe Mandella speed ski boat. It was built with twin props-twin rudders. I have all the original hardware. the hull is completely restored.
HARLAN ORRIN
Harlan, this ski was made by Harold Hannemann. Not sure when he built it, but I got it second hand 47 years ago. Bought it from his son Hal for $15. The bindings were made by me when I work at Covilon who manufactured them for other companies. The binding hardware was made from my mothers ice trays. Yea I caught hell for cutin them up. But this hole thing is a home made treasure to me. Over the years people I went camping with thought I should have used it for fire wood

Attachments

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I had a Maha "LaPoint" graphite in the late 70's, the top was solid yellow, bottom was all black. Awesome bindings that were made be a guy named Mike Gravette (sp?) who was very invloved in the San Jose Skii club...... that ski was super quick. Growing up in a ski club at Lake Berryessa in the 60's we ski'd on Maja's, Obriens, Taperflex, Connley etc etc. I remember in about 1966 or so at Bass Lake we found a really thick/heavy Obrien out in the middle of the lake. My dad asked around until we found the owners. My brother and I told them what a great ski it was and that we didn't have our Maha with us... they had pity on us and offered to let us use it for the day, good people. We usually learned on Voit skis, they had what were called "wishbone" skegs which were invented and patented (as I remember) by two guys who camped across from our club, Gordie May and Hank LaPoint. They were hired by boat manuf's to test and report on new model boats. My dad bought the first (according to the guys) fiberglass Chris Craft, it was a 18' "Corsair" with a 120 Chey II and a Mercruiser outdrive.

Wish I had some pics to post.... the best I have to offer are sharing memories.... great thread :))THumbsUp

David

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Harlan, this ski was made by Harold Hannemann. Not sure when he built it, but I got it second hand 47 years ago. Bought it from his son Hal for $15. The bindings were made by me when I work at Covilon who manufactured them for other companies. The binding hardware was made from my mothers ice trays. Yea I caught hell for cutin them up. But this hole thing is a home made treasure to me. Over the years people I went camping with thought I should have used it for fire wood
I bet your mom was not only pissed that you cut up her ice trays but used her ironing board for a ski.:D

121 - 140 of 152 Posts