Performance Boats Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I bet your mom was not only pissed that you cut up her ice trays but used her ironing board for a ski.:D
The Plank has been called a lot of things but not an ironing board.:thumb: It may be old and ugly but it has many beautiful memories of my youth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ski

Here's my two Bassett slalom skis. The one on the left is the first model they made, "Honeycomb Graphite 7000", manufactured by Jobe. The ski on the right was manufactured by someone else(not sure who) and was called the "Graphite 7000". I'm told it was cheaper in quality and didn't last long. From my understanding there was one other model made possibly called the "Honeycomb Graphite 3000"(?) that was gray with the same Bassett graphics. I'd love to find one if anyone has one!:thumb:
I have one of those ski's like in pic. a Bassett HG-7000 I want to sell. Make me an ofer I can't refuse and she's yours. I also have 2 others, A Kidder, the one that says official world record holder and a Conelly 7500. All are competition skis in good shape. Ill sell 1,2,or or all set of three at once. Im done with them. Call me 5597067841 or email [email protected] That goes for all you crazy mutha's that read this mess. Ill ship them to ya for actual shipping charges. 1 of these ski's is very rare and hard to get, I wonder which one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Andy Clark Skiis

Always liked Andy Clarks, I guess for no other reason than they were made here in Phx.. They were all over, now you never see em. A guy named Dennis Funk worked for him for years and still built skis for a long time on his own but I dont know what became of him. I still have his # but nobody answer's. I'd like to have one just for nostalgia. COOL SKI !!!
I know this is an old thread, but I just joined and saw it... I've been trying to make contact with Dennis but lost his number and address... Do you still have either? I remember driving to the north valley but can't remember where... (They say the memory is the second thing to go) I have a couple of Clark's that need repair. Thanks

Larry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Andy Clark Skiis

Hey there.. Personally I have 5 Andy Clarks... (the modified Andy Clark is my fav tho ;) )

Dennis still does some maintenance stuff for the skis. I just had him fix a binder about two months ago on my ski.

I also told him one of my favorite things to do is strap on the Andy Clark and hit about 45-50mph across choppy water and pass the wake-boarders like they're standing still. Just the look on their face when they see you jump both wakes with a 110ft+ rope is priceless.....
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new and just found it...

You have me beat, I only have 4 Andy Clarks. (and the modified is my favorite, too)

I've been trying to find Dennis for a couple of years, but lost his phone number/address. Any chance of sending a PM with the info? I have a couple that need repairs.

I love that look on the wake boarders face, also...

Thanks,
Larry

·
the silver bullet!
1,996 Posts
I had a Maha "LaPoint" graphite in the late 70's, the top was solid yellow, bottom was all black. Awesome bindings that were made be a guy named Mike Gravette (sp?) who was very invloved in the San Jose Skii club...... that ski was super quick. Growing up in a ski club at Lake Berryessa in the 60's we ski'd on Maja's, Obriens, Taperflex, Connley etc etc. I remember in about 1966 or so at Bass Lake we found a really thick/heavy Obrien out in the middle of the lake. My dad asked around until we found the owners. My brother and I told them what a great ski it was and that we didn't have our Maha with us... they had pity on us and offered to let us use it for the day, good people. We usually learned on Voit skis, they had what were called "wishbone" skegs which were invented and patented (as I remember) by two guys who camped across from our club, Gordie May and Hank LaPoint. They were hired by boat manuf's to test and report on new model boats. My dad bought the first (according to the guys) fiberglass Chris Craft, it was a 18' "Corsair" with a 120 Chey II and a Mercruiser outdrive.

Wish I had some pics to post.... the best I have to offer are sharing memories.... great thread :))THumbsUp

David
was waiting for someone to chime in on the maha lapoint ,that was a awesome ski very fast and turned incredidbly . i started out on dads wood maha then for my 8th bday dad bought me the 2001 all black fiberglass ski used it for a few seasons then got lapoint all yellow cuz it was badass .
sold my parents boat a few years later to some buddies that i lent them the wood maha and my lapoint at the time to never see them again . by this time i was tearing it up on a kidder redline with ho high wraps (pink ) .. i guess i just dated my self .TUNNEL T

p.s. can you guess who's this in this poster !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
was waiting for someone to chime in on the maha lapoint ,that was a awesome ski very fast and turned incredidbly . i started out on dads wood maha then for my 8th bday dad bought me the 2001 all black fiberglass ski used it for a few seasons then got lapoint all yellow cuz it was badass .
sold my parents boat a few years later to some buddies that i lent them the wood maha and my lapoint at the time to never see them again . by this time i was tearing it up on a kidder redline with ho high wraps (pink ) .. i guess i just dated my self .TUNNEL T

p.s. can you guess who's this in this poster !!!!
That would be Suzanne Sommers from about 1970, even before American Graffiti I still own an old O'Brien and Maha from that era. Skied on the OB last year behind my Cole on my 65th birthday.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just joined and saw it... I've been trying to make contact with Dennis but lost his number and address... Do you still have either? I remember driving to the north valley but can't remember where... (They say the memory is the second thing to go) I have a couple of Clark's that need repair. Thanks

Larry
Dennis Funk lives/lived on the northwest corner of 68th drive and Mary Jane in Peoria. I tried calling him also but his number is disconnected. Maybe someone can stop by...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Waterskis

Hey guys,great thread.I am in the middle of cleaning out my Dads place & have come across 1/2 a dozen old skis.Would anybody be interested in them?
1 Jobe Honeycomb
1 O'brien
2 Mahas
1 Bassett
1 Vouge
& about 6 Texas Toothpicks.
If thet are of use to anybody,let me know & I'll get some pics up.
Thanx guys
Would love to purchase a Texas Toothpick

·
Do It In The Dirt!!
481 Posts
For those that had some questions about Brad Water Skis:

I grew up going to Brad's shop after he had moved from his Bellflower location to his Cerritos shop near Off Street Cafe. My Pops and his friends would buy their barefoot rope and other water skiing goodies from Brad. We had some Brad life jackets, and either a single ski or a pair of doubles if I recall? A few years back a pair of Brad's popped up on Craigslist in San Diego. One was a squareback and the other was a slalom. I had to look at some work down that way, so I scooped them up. Eventually I ski'd the squareback, but it was a bit squirrely feeling, I believe the concave may have been too narrow and shallow?

Something that many don't know is that Brad also sold surfboards in the 60's out shop in Manhattan. Brad had someone shaping the boards for him, and they were glassed by a local South Bay glassing shop. The surfboard market was really competitive back then, and Brad ended up folding up shop and moving his surfboard sales into his Bellflower water ski location sometime in the mid 60's. Being so far removed from the beach, he struggled to keep a client base for his surfboards, and decided to focus solely on ski's sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. I've been lucky enough to track down a couple of Brad surfboards. One, more of a early 60's pig shape with a wood D fin (in the photos), and the other is more of a late 60's big wave style board, with lots of nose rocker, a pulled in pintail and a raked back fin. I've ridden the earlier 60's board and it handles pretty damn well. It was discovered in the attic of lifeguard station somewhere in Santa Barbara a few years before I bought it and apparently it had been there since the 60's! The other board was saved by the sellers mom from a dumpster in Huntington Beach! It's in great shape and I may have to take it out this winter when we get a good Northwest!

Anyhow, I was able to track down Brad's phone number last summer and spoke with him for quite awhile. He's living in Bullhead now and we talked about his time in Bellflower, which is where I grew up and his short lived shop in Cerritos. We also talked about his time selling surfboards in Manhattan, and just some random flim flam about old kneeboards, barefooting and such. If anyone is interested, I have his phone number if you'd like to pick his brain.

And one more cool fact about Brad...I asked if his logo was inspired by the Budweiser bow-tie logo, as I had a feeling it was, and he said indeed it was!

Cheers!,

Zeke

Brad-Water-Skis1.jpg
Brad-Water-Skis2.jpg
Brad-Water-Ski3.jpeg
Brad-Surfboard1.jpeg
Brad-Surfboard2.jpeg
Brad-Surfboard3.jpeg

141 - 152 of 152 Posts