Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok does anybody have one or have first hand experience with one? Is it worth the 495.00 yearly fee? what are all these "free" gifts that you get through out the year? And yea I know 495.00 is alot for a membership fee, but it also depends on the benefits.

·
Big Boys Toys
348 Posts
I guess since I had to Google "Visa Black Card" to even see what it is, I probably won't be among one of the 1% that's getting an invitation. Sounds like 500.00 to buy a little status to me.

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
I have the Citi-Chairmans Card issued through Smith Barney, and IMO this is the only card that competes with the AMEX Black. Don't bother calling Citi cause they'll pretend they have no idea what your talking about, like I said through S.B. If your gonna take advantage of all the benefits than get it, I for one don't use my card to the extent that I should but for those that do these cards are very beneficial. I actually use my AMEX-Optima more than anything, they don't issue them anymore as far as I know, can pay it off each month or when needed can use it like a typical credit card.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I received an invite. No way am I paying 500 a year to have a credit card.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My buddy is the captain of 80ft Viking Sport Fisher for a software tycoon, anyways he has the black card I believe his is a no limit deal, they only offer 500 per year. When it cost $110,000.00 to pass through the Panama Canal, I think you would need a healthy card...:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife and I charge arouund 60-80K a year and pay off every month, and do travel at least once every quarter. We currently use a card that gets us airline miles, which is nice but this one also offers miles, just trying to see if the other benefits are worth it.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I know for the black amex you have to spend north of 250K a year!

Last trip to Havi we were in the big board shop by basha's. I was behind this kid like 17 or 18 with his friends. He whipped out a black amex to pay for his shirts. The cashier girl had to ask him what it was lol

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
Last trip to Havi we were in the big board shop by basha's. I was behind this kid like 17 or 18 with his friends. He whipped out a black amex to pay for his shirts. The cashier girl had to ask him what it was lol
Are you talking about Utility Board Shop? My friend Jeff owns all those stores and my friends nephew is the manager of that one. I'll let them know to do a lil edumacation!!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Are you talking about Utility Board Shop? My friend Jeff owns all those stores and my friends nephew is the manager of that one. I'll let them know to do a lil edumacation!!

Yes i had never been in there before that is a great store!

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
I have the visa signature which also has no limit and it is free. Not sure what the benefit of paying a membership fee of any amount would be for benefits I already have.

·
Registered
362 Posts
A friend of mine works event security for the PGA at Riviera CC and the WTA event in Indian Wells. He was shadowing Roger Federer a couple years back, and he broke out the black AMEX for lunch. Of course he spends a bit more than most of us do, private jets around the world, residences in Switzerland and the UAE etc... I'm certainly not anywhere near that money level, and never will be.

As for the Visa, like someone said it's an attempt to cash in on ego. I'd say save the bucks and use the fee-less cards.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Funny. I just got my invite in the mail last night. It's not exclusive though. Anyone can apply. It is just that they limit it to 1% people per year. Well guess what that is 3 million people. 3 million times 500 dollars. You do the math. They are capitalizing on everyone wanting to keep up with the Jonses. There are other cards out there that are black. My citicard is black. I've had it for years. I put everything on my credit cards and pay at the end of the month. So Citi upgraded me to their black one with concierge and stuff. It's okay and nice to have but I wouldn't pay 500 a year for it. Nobody ever gets excited because my card is black. I put gas, groceries and drugstores on it because I get 5%. Everything else goes on my wifes Amex because if I'm going to only get 1% then I want the flexibility I get with those points.

Truth be told only snooty people in Beverly Hills will know what a black card is and be snooty about a measly Visa. If they see an Amex Centurion then you'll get them excited. Who cares. Like the story above the girl at the register in the board shop didn't even know what it was. If I was loaded I might get one but only because you get real benefits that may be worth the fees associated with it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts