Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to outdrives and im looking at a boat that has a volvo penta 280 drive (old school) Im trying to find out if this is decent drive and what kind of power it can handle? any knowledge of this drive would be great because i dont know crap about them. :wink2:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
One of the best drives ever made but it is not a performance drive. Should handle 500hp all day.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Im new to outdrives and im looking at a boat that has a volvo penta 280 drive (old school) Im trying to find out if this is decent drive and what kind of power it can handle? any knowledge of this drive would be great because i dont know crap about them. :wink2:

Thanks
it's a decent drive parts are expensive the shafts are small but strong I don't think they ever put it behind a big block but I know of a couple that did with good results I think there are adapters to put merc props on them

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,
Its in a 22' schiada with a small block chevy and runs great just not very fast. I am looking at buying it and just wanted to know what im getting in to. Its not going to be a race boat just a good all around family ski and cruising boat. Im thinking about just beefing up the small block alittle to try and get the boat to run maybe in the mid 50mph range? :)Unsure what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
Its in a 22' schiada with a small block chevy and runs great just not very fast. I am looking at buying it and just wanted to know what im getting in to. Its not going to be a race boat just a good all around family ski and cruising boat. Im thinking about just beefing up the small block alittle to try and get the boat to run maybe in the mid 50mph range? :)Unsure what do you guys think?
What size prop you have on it now? I would not put more then 400,to 425 hp to that drive! Yes they are a great drive, but not built to hold a lot of hp!!! prop changes will help you out a lot!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
how fast dose it run now what pitch prop what rpm's at wide open we know that the schiada likes power.theres a little collar under the lower gear in the upper case we used to replace them with a collar from a diesel drive for more strength.Doug Jackson from alco marine ran a 280 volvo in his 23 nordic with a small block I think he was running an OJ bronze prop he swore by them.Also mercruiser makes a adapter plate to put a bravo drive in its place

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
What size prop you have on it now? I would not put more then 400,to 425 hp to that drive! Yes they are a great drive, but not built to hold a lot of hp!!! prop changes will help you out a lot!
496 stroker with about 500hp in front of mine for years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The current owner says it runs about 40 to 45mph at 4300 rpm, he lives at a high elevation and it probally needs a tune up. I know it has a stainless prop but i didnt look what size. I just want to make sure this boat will work for what i want and not cost me tons of money right of the bat. I love these boats and have wanted one for years but i don't want to get in over my head. Im sure with a good tune up and this boat should run close to 50mph or so, just don't want to get run over :thumb:

·
Registered
432 Posts
The current owner says it runs about 40 to 45mph at 4300 rpm, he lives at a high elevation and it probally needs a tune up. I know it has a stainless prop but i didnt look what size. I just want to make sure this boat will work for what i want and not cost me tons of money right of the bat. I love these boats and have wanted one for years but i don't want to get in over my head. Im sure with a good tune up and this boat should run close to 50mph or so, just don't want to get run over :thumb:
if you come down in altitude it may run 50 on it's own I would check the oil in the outdrive for water. When you say schiada you say investment

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bart, thats what im thinking :happy: I love the boat the only thing that scared me was the drive but after I've done alot of research on this drive and talked with you guys, im now confident that this is the boat. :thumb: Thanks agian for all the info, thats what i love about the boards. I'll keep you all posted and will post pics when i pick her up.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Now what you need is a 280 T transom shield to go with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I beleive that it is the 280t? thats the 280 with trim correct? I know it has trim but the current owner said you can't trim it like a merc. But it does have trim. :thumb:

·
Registered
955 Posts
The biggest problem with this drive is the blunt edge gear case. Add a nose cone to stream line the gearcase. That gearcase will blow out just above 60 mph. Also get rid of the Volvo Elephant ear prop and have a prop shop put a Volvo hub in a Merc. prop or there was a company making a Volvo prop shaft with Mercs spline on it. I dont know if they still make it or not.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I beleive that it is the 280t? thats the 280 with trim correct? I know it has trim but the current owner said you can't trim it like a merc. But it does have trim. :thumb:
Does it look like this?

Mine also has a nose cone but the main thing is to look at the sides. Does yours look like that? If not you have a tilt system and it should only be used to pick the drive up for trailering. Never ever use it when under way. You will break it if any power is put to the drive and they cost a fortune to replace. For that matter when I had one (tilt only) I would use a strap when towing so when going over bumps the drive would not bounce up and down because that will break it to.
If you are looking for an off the shelf prop try a Solas. They are the only company that makes SS props for Volvo Penta today.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 280 penta outdrive looks a bit different than the one in the pic above. I just installed a built 350 SBC in my boat and other than spinning the hub in the prop i have had no issues at all. I was told by many people to never full throttle it unless you're going 20+ mph. So far so good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a update,
I am a proud owner of a schiada! it is such a beautiful boat. Anyways I still don't know what the prop size is, there is no numbers on it? It is a stainless 3 blade and very nice looking :happy: I took it out to the river last weekend and it runs ok but here is my problems. 1- it only spins 3500rpm and about 30mph. 2- at full throttle it pops or backfires ocationally? i put new plugs and fuel and checked the timing all good? WTF? im going to put new intake and carb on this weekend cause i think the carb is trash. Also were can i get one of those streamlined nose cone?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here's a update,
I am a proud owner of a schiada! it is such a beautiful boat. Anyways I still don't know what the prop size is, there is no numbers on it? It is a stainless 3 blade and very nice looking :happy: I took it out to the river last weekend and it runs ok but here is my problems. 1- it only spins 3500rpm and about 30mph. 2- at full throttle it pops or backfires ocationally? i put new plugs and fuel and checked the timing all good? WTF? im going to put new intake and carb on this weekend cause i think the carb is trash. Also were can i get one of those streamlined nose cone?
sounds lean I think you are on the right track with the carb but I would do a compression test first

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats what I was thinking Bart, the thing that has me guessing is that all the plugs are wet except the plug in hole #3. :wtf: I haven't had a chance to do a compression check yet. The motor runs smooth and idles smooth and i did check that it is firing on all 8. The previous owner said the motor was not that old (we all know that doesn't mean crap) It has a shitty edelbrock cp-2p which from the reserch i found was a mid 70's fuel economy manifold small runner set up and limits the rpm to 4000. Im going to put a edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 1406 carb on it. Do you think I could have a valve to tight?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thats what I was thinking Bart, the thing that has me guessing is that all the plugs are wet except the plug in hole #3. :wtf: I haven't had a chance to do a compression check yet. The motor runs smooth and idles smooth and i did check that it is firing on all 8. The previous owner said the motor was not that old (we all know that doesn't mean crap) It has a shitty edelbrock cp-2p which from the reserch i found was a mid 70's fuel economy manifold small runner set up and limits the rpm to 4000. Im going to put a edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 1406 carb on it. Do you think I could have a valve to tight?
It wouldn't hurt to check if its running on all 8 I would check your ignition system also may have a high rpm problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts