Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a buddy who recently got a Scarab jet boat with a Volvo Penta jet drive and a V6 engine. I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about these things. Upon a quick Google search, I came up with next to nothing, especially on the Volvo Penta jet drive, all the links went to sites related to Volvo Penta engines. Which this boat also might have, but I'm not completely sure. I dug through 10 pages of crap and came up with a couple for sale (in New Zealand) and nothing about the drive.

Thanks.:)hand

·
Registered
307 Posts
HJ,
VP had Legend develop and produce the first quanties of that drive for them.
From the Legend site: (http://www.legendjet.com/ABOUT US.htm)
"In 1994 we began working with Volvo Penta on their PJX jet. Legend built the first (75) PJX pumps for Volvo in 1995. Most PJX pumps built to date have Legend impellers."

I believe that it is a smaller size than the typical Berk/AMT/Dominator/Agressor so that it can work with smaller engines like the V6. I think if your friend contacts Legend they may be able to provide some more info.

My experience is that VP dealers don't know very much about them, but the main VP distribution centers or training facilities might have a little more knowledge about them.

If he has the engine and drive serial number, he might be able to find some info on the VP site, but I can't find anything just browsing.

Doug

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Wasn't there a guy, I think I remember it from HB that put a 502 in one of those Scarabs?
Yes he did, it ran much better with a small block in it.

Problem with the VP drive is the suction/intake shape.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are they good pumps or are they the can't help em' kind of pump? And is the V6 the best engine to run with the VP drive?

He swears up and down that he's gonna smoke me on the river, lol.:D

I'll be like :)hand!!!:D

Thanks guys, you guys are good!!!:)devil

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
A Good Running Sbc Stroker Will Be Knockin On 70's Door, Of Course This Was With A Highly Modded Vp Drive....impeller Back Was No Longer Vp, But Berk Or Amt Hardware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts