Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats been going on with the w drives , anyone using use them or did they die in the wind ? i thought it a great idea to run counter rotating drives with big power ... jUst courious .....

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Geoff Gregory's new Canyon/Kurtis TAH will be running one. In talking to Kevin Felkins, he said they tried the w-drive in TAH when they first came out, with little success. However, Gregory's team thinks they can make it work, so the boat will debut next year with a w-drive and twin counter-rotating props, same as some of the TFH's are running. I agree with you that it seems like a great idea on the TAHs and TFHs, but I have no idea why they haven't all switched over to them. They obviously have advantages and disadvantages, just like a lot of the new technology that takes years to perfect.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The w drive will run two drives with the power of one engine.

Razor-

I love the w drive in the hydros ( still love the pic of loose cannon ) I was more interested in the outdrive application in custom lake boats . They had a great artical a few years ago and i have not heard anything about them since ?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
there was one lake boat with a big twin turbo that had twin Imco SC drives linked to a Wdrive, dont know what ever happend to it. It was a Ski racer.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Whats been going on with the w drives , anyone using use them or did they die in the wind ? i thought it a great idea to run counter rotating drives with big power ... jUst courious .....
Back in the late 90's, I wrenched for Jim Faulkerson with NITRO BULLET (the old grey boat) It was the first Top Fuel hydro capsule boat to run it. The drive was first introduced in the late 60's early 70's..Jim spent many hours desiging the (at the time current) w drive..this is not the 2 casale case model that some teams run but a 1 case box.Patton also came with one in his boat WILDSIDE that was later purchased by Tedesco (Loose Cannon ) Andy Demont followed with the twin drive in TAF..He tried but could not get the boat to handle right..Tom Wright followed in TAH with Cukkoos Nest (sp) After my switch to NHRA to a A-FUEL dragster. I learned that a a-fuel motor in a twin screw TAH would be a killer setup.. Injected nitro LOVES to be loaded down.....also thought..."what if you took a TAH, held the motor( blown motor combo) at about 5 grand (like an Top Alcohol funny car)dump the clutch and let her rip..Could the boat handle it????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts