Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents, i'm still having a tough time with the wakes in my 18-foot jet.

Is it ok when the boat slams ultra hard? what's truly the best way to tackle them?

Girls are driving me nuts with fear and it throws me off with hesitation please help..

By the way, I got my first ticket! I was leaving Garlic Brothers on July 5th.
They only got me for going too fast in a 5 zone.

·
Registered
939 Posts
wakes

No way to avoid them, just how you aproach them. Mostly takes experience as to different heights and lengths. Your speed needs to be different, or your angle of approach. Nothing wrong with just getting to an idle and ridding it out.

Do you have a jetovator or similar setup, Put your nose up to soften the blow.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
YOu can try a lot of stuff- all of it will be marginally successful.

Bow up on some bow down on others- best try crossing at a angle.

Super hard slams loosen up the interior so try to avoid them, but an 18ft jet boat is what it is.

It isnt like the early 80's when a 21 ft boat was big and 18 was normal.

There are just lots of bigger boats everywhere now making it really tough on the lower profile rigs.

Uncle Dave

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Along the river and in some of the sloughs in my flattie;

Ive found that if your coming up on a boat throwing a big wake move to the side where the wake has not spread the width of the lane and pass there. or where it is smallest.

With an oncoming boat that has already spread a wake the full width of the lane your gonna have to again run to the side that has the shortest height and probably close to shore to get over it.

I will usually drop my speed immediately before to 'break' the wake and throttle on over it. seems the flatbottoms are pretty good for smashing them down. But yes always at a severe angle to the wake or it becomes a RAMP!...

Ramps are not good unless you're Evel Kneivel :)devil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts