Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am running the boat in a no wake zone my boat has a tendency to drift left then right contantly.it doesnt do it any other time than low speed, is there an adjustment in my steering or is it an issue with the outdrive?
its a bravo one outdrive.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Most boats will wander a little. Of the boats I've owned, it seemed the shallower the V, the more it wandered.

Is the steering sloppy?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a deep V, 22'. it will go about 2-3 feet to the left then 2-3 feet to the right,ect... its anoying in the channel and makes it fun getting it on the trailer.
when the boat is on the trailer I can move the outdrive back and forth a inch or two, is that normal?

·
139 Posts
That's a negative. There shouldn't be any play in the steering. You might check the helm for slop in the cable. There may be some stripped teeth in the helm that allow the cable to move freely side to side.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
If the girl depicted in your avatar is sitting next to you are you sure that operator inattention is not to blame? :D

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
The play you are talking about is usually at the gimbal ring/steering pin/steering arm area. Torque the two nuts at the top of the gimbal ring and see if that helps. Have someone look inside at the steering arm as you move the drive back and forth only the amount of the play. If the arm moves with the drive, it is most likely in the steering cable/helm. If the arm does not move it is either the gimbal ring worn, or the pinch bolt in the steering arm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The play you are talking about is usually at the gimbal ring/steering pin/steering arm area. Torque the two nuts at the top of the gimbal ring and see if that helps. Have someone look inside at the steering arm as you move the drive back and forth only the amount of the play. If the arm moves with the drive, it is most likely in the steering cable/helm. If the arm does not move it is either the gimbal ring worn, or the pinch bolt in the steering arm.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
What year? There is early and later Bravo steering rams. We are in the middle of rebushing a 1994 unit, because there are no parts(bushings) available. We have had great success doing that. or you can use external ram steering on it, but that costs more, especially if your boat isn't fast enough to really need it. Our bushings have more bearing area than stock, and are made from better material. TIMINATOR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts