Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy howdy ya'll :D

I got this '77 Hondo T-Deck here, jet boat. I wanted to strip all the carpet out, and polish up the floor and the stringers for a nice polished wood look. But after enough cleaning, I decided it wasn't worth it. The stringers have little bits of rot here and there, from people putting in small screws and such, nothing structural though. I just didn't want to work hours and hours polishing the floor and wood if there is little dark spots all along the stringers.

So I decided to color the bottom. My question is, what do you guys recommend? I was thinking about sanding and prepping the bottom, do my stripes, and then when it cures to lay fiberglass resin over the top. Would that be achievable or is it a bad idea? How long should I wait for the paint to dry before laying resin, 1 day, 2 weeks? I dunno. Use flex additive?

And I've also heard about mixing the paint with the resin and just applying it. What kind of results would that insue? I want it to look deep (Silver) but I don't want to lay a ton of resin down to weight the boat down, and possibly crack later.

And what tools do you guys suggest for laying resin down the smoothest?

And if the paint/resin idea is bad, what other stuff could I use to make the floor covered with color, and still be strong?

Tony

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
good question, been thinkin on this same subject for awhile. i know you can use auto paint, but what do you use over that on the color and wood floor?i've used clear urethane in the past and it held up well but i never kept the boats long nuff to really see how it stood the test of time.

· Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good question, been thinkin on this same subject for awhile. i know you can use auto paint, but what do you use over that on the color and wood floor?i've used clear urethane in the past and it held up well but i never kept the boats long nuff to really see how it stood the test of time.
That's what I would normally do, but this boat gets abused pretty bad on the river :D And I figured the resin would give it some crazy depth

· Registered
1,186 Posts
what i did and it has worked so far is i used colored gel coat and sprayed it. give it a quick sand to rough it up and flow coat it. the depth is un believeable and you can do it all under 500 bucks. call billy b hes the man

· Registered
5,635 Posts
what i did and it has worked so far is i used colored gel coat and sprayed it. give it a quick sand to rough it up and flow coat it. the depth is un believeable and you can do it all under 500 bucks. call billy b hes the man
Gallon of gelcoat= 90-150 stones
Gallon of Presteck clear topcoat somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 stones
misc. material needed for the job 100 stones
I would say definitely under 350!
but the labor is what will get at ya!
the floor needs to be real nice and flat , free from any sort of contaminant!...otherwise, you will have a situation that can be a real ugly and it will look like something that Mouzer tries to sell everyone!
a little tip though, after the gel is applied (However you decide) hopefully you get you gel raw with out surfacing agents, Styrene, PVA etc. bag the boat off over night let it cure good then apply the clear top coat without sanding, it will adhere right to the surface because the top skin of the gel will still be tacky and accept the CTC!
If the weather is warm give it a couple hrs...you should be good for the clear!
Todd

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Yea ,I tried that mixing the paint with resin as an experiment and sprayed it on some scrap fiberglass. As soon as it cured it cracked all over and peeled right off. I do not think resin over paint would work either....hal

· Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couple more questions, where could I find these products online? I'll save up a few pennies and just do it probably this winter after it cools down here.

Also, how do you apply the flow coat? Is it spread on or is it sprayed? What size tip on my gun should I use if it is sprayed?

Any tips, info, or links for prepping/spraying the gel coat and the flow coat would be appreciated. I looked here in the forum but couldn't find information.... but then again I'm an impatient focker :D

Thanks again in advance, you guys Rock :)devil

· Registered
5,323 Posts
I'm not sure if any of you have done this, but I use to use my Enamel toners to tint my resins. Depending on the color your looking for, gel may very well be the way to go. It will definitely wear better in a traffic area like a floor, not to mention its more forgiving in application then paint. By the time you sand, prime, sand, reprime, sand, and spray even a single stage eurathane, your probably over your budget.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
gel coats

Couple more questions, where could I find these products online? I'll save up a few pennies and just do it probably this winter after it cools down here.

Also, how do you apply the flow coat? Is it spread on or is it sprayed? What size tip on my gun should I use if it is sprayed?

Any tips, info, or links for prepping/spraying the gel coat and the flow coat would be appreciated. I looked here in the forum but couldn't find information.... but then again I'm an impatient focker :D

Thanks again in advance, you guys Rock :)devil
Duratec Hi-Gloss Coating try these products, several custom boat paint/repair shops rave about them. Good luck.

· Registered
225 Posts
There's a guy somewhere on this forum that resored a jet boat to be used for towing diabled boats. He used a two part epoxy garage floor paint. He even sprinkled the speckles into the paint. I think it looked good...might use it myself. I am going to have to do something with my floor too.

· Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a guy somewhere on this forum that resored a jet boat to be used for towing diabled boats. He used a two part epoxy garage floor paint. He even sprinkled the speckles into the paint. I think it looked good...might use it myself. I am going to have to do something with my floor too.
That's my buddy, the coating turned out really good, just not the bling factor I was lookin for :)sphss

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.