Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)devilOk, I have a Bahner jet, want to trade it for a v-drive? Now I am being crazy? Jets are fun, but a v-drive, well, thats just the .....well you know!:)hand
I have a great guy to thank for wanting a v-drive. He ruined my jet boat love, it has become a v-drive lust.
Does any one havea runner bottom v-drive for sale at a reasonable price, thats not a wreck?

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
the switch

i just got my first v-drive not to long ago.i had a 76 rogers bonneville tr.it had over 800hp in it and i could only go so far with it.you have to spend your ass off to go fast in a jet.my rogers ran high 90's and rode like a caddi.it just got old after awile.the first time out in my v-drive i got a whole new respect for going fast.the jet you hit the gas and go.the v-drive you have to know your boat and know your limits.i have alot of respect for these guys that run these boats fast.like they say you got to have big balls or be a little crazy to race a flat.if you want a whole new respect for fast boats get a v-drive and have fun.we are all getting old so we should have fun while where at it.:)hand

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just got my first v-drive not to long ago.i had a 76 rogers bonneville tr.it had over 800hp in it and i could only go so far with it.you have to spend your ass off to go fast in a jet.my rogers ran high 90's and rode like a caddi.it just got old after awile.the first time out in my v-drive i got a whole new respect for going fast.the jet you hit the gas and go.the v-drive you have to know your boat and know your limits.i have alot of respect for these guys that run these boats fast.like they say you got to have big balls or be a little crazy to race a flat.if you want a whole new respect for fast boats get a v-drive and have fun.we are all getting old so we should have fun while where at it.:)hand
I agree. I see my friends tring to push 90 and not quite getting there with a few dozen fist fulls of Ben Franklins. Jets are nice, but why ride a pony when you can have a horse!
I grew with my dad having a v-drive, loved it. I like the cadilac ride of a jet, and lack of toe cutting props, but I love the ride of a runner bottom and the power available to get it done with less effort. I have the brass to put it to the wood, and the respect of life to know my limits. I am no Dennis Porter. I don't have the time in the seat like him either.
I had a chance to drive his Hondo, well, it ruined me. I found everything I want in a boat. Looks, ride, and well the beans to get my heart rate up. LOL!! I liked the hydrolic cav. peddle in his boat, but I want to find my own v-drive. We all can have his set up, but I want my own. I would like to start off with a healthy small block so I can can get to know the boat, move up to the big fella's. Cubic inches rule, but I am no drag racer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I am V-drive to the core, but......spend any time at the NJBA and you will see that jets can haul the mail. There's probably a dozen or so there that could clean my clock! You just need the right hull. I'm not really into them, but I think it's the Texas and CP tunnels that really rock. I'm sure there are others. These guys are running the 8.00 index with accuracy and thats slowing it down. Tom Bandy and others are into the sevens. Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't find one in my driveway, I'm hardcore flatty, I believe in driving with two feet, but just know, jets can fly! F1~:)

·
Distinguished Member
5,842 Posts
I agree. I see my friends tring to push 90 and not quite getting there with a few dozen fist fulls of Ben Franklins. Jets are nice, but why ride a pony when you can have a horse!
I grew with my dad having a v-drive, loved it. I like the cadilac ride of a jet, and lack of toe cutting props, but I love the ride of a runner bottom and the power available to get it done with less effort. I have the brass to put it to the wood, and the respect of life to know my limits. I am no Dennis Porter. I don't have the time in the seat like him either.
I had a chance to drive his Hondo, well, it ruined me. I found everything I want in a boat. Looks, ride, and well the beans to get my heart rate up. LOL!! I liked the hydrolic cav. peddle in his boat, but I want to find my own v-drive. We all can have his set up, but I want my own. I would like to start off with a healthy small block so I can can get to know the boat, move up to the big fella's. Cubic inches rule, but I am no drag racer.
You were doing good right up to the small block part!! Do yourself a favor and dont' waste your time with a small block. If you start with a mild big block, the HP is cheaper and you'll already have the boat set up for when you want to start going faster. One of the previous owners of my boat ran decent with a small block, but it was a big small block and he also had a small fortune in it. It can be done, but it's a lot easier with a big block.
Don't sweat the driving either, seat time is what it's all about... go get you one, and spend time learning to drive it. It's not as hard as some make it out to be, just takes some laps. Best of luck to you....

·
P/E #426
358 Posts
I am V-drive to the core, but......spend any time at the NJBA and you will see that jets can haul the mail. There's probably a dozen or so there that could clean my clock! You just need the right hull. I'm not really into them, but I think it's the Texas and CP tunnels that really rock. I'm sure there are others. These guys are running the 8.00 index with accuracy and thats slowing it down. Tom Bandy and others are into the sevens. Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't find one in my driveway, I'm hardcore flatty, I believe in driving with two feet, but just know, jets can fly! F1~:)

That those jets will TOSS you out in a heartbeat. The motors in those boats are nothing short of TOP DOLLAR, and they have 125 ft starts. We went from a 9.00 jet to a 7.80 hydro, with a simple motor change

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't want to be tost out!!

That those jets will TOSS you out in a heartbeat. The motors in those boats are nothing short of TOP DOLLAR, and they have 125 ft starts. We went from a 9.00 jet to a 7.80 hydro, with a simple motor change
If I keep my boat, I will make it do 80mph+ and staop there. I want to go vdrive, but if it doesn't happen, I am going to build my Bahner to be healthy, yet reliable. Don't want to get in the fixing mood every time I go to the lake.

·
92 KURTIS RUNNER BOTTOM
1,360 Posts
You were doing good right up to the small block part!! Do yourself a favor and dont' waste your time with a small block. If you start with a mild big block, the HP is cheaper and you'll already have the boat set up for when you want to start going faster. One of the previous owners of my boat ran decent with a small block, but it was a big small block and he also had a small fortune in it. It can be done, but it's a lot easier with a big block.
Don't sweat the driving either, seat time is what it's all about... go get you one, and spend time learning to drive it. It's not as hard as some make it out to be, just takes some laps. Best of luck to you....
Ya what he said, and seat time is the way to go, im still not sure but there are a blast. They are fun and you can get way carried away and keep your wife out of the garage, i went from a daily driver to oh sh&t would in the heck have i done,and once you get a v-drive just hand your nuts to your wife, it saves alot of grief:D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My nuts, one bolt!

Ya what he said, and seat time is the way to go, im still not sure but there are a blast. They are fun and you can get way carried away and keep your wife out of the garage, i went from a daily driver to oh sh&t would in the heck have i done,and once you get a v-drive just hand your nuts to your wife, it saves alot of grief:D
My wife is okay with my adiction to these things. She already had the crap scared out of her whne I had a placecraft tunnel hull with a 235hp outboard, and a good ride in my buddies blown eliminator sprint. She doesn't even like the throaty sound of a big block. Its for me any way. She can is and read her book!!!!:)devil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.