Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm very new to the game here.

When I pulled my boat out of the water last night I noticed the pump bowl was pretty warm to the touch. Is this normal or could the bushing be toast and I'm damaging the shaft if I keep using it?

I checked the gear lube in it and the level is topped right up and still nice and thick with just a bit of white to it.

The boat is running a 455 Olds, rebuilt Berkeley JB, B impeller.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I checked the bowl lube before I went out last night and it was a good thickness. I just checked it now and it was a lot lighter and clearer, quite a bit of water in there. So I displaced it all with fresh lube.

I hope I didn't cook anything. Do you think I hurt it? The bowl was quite warm, like you couldn't keep the back of your hand on it warm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing is I didn't hear any noise changes or frequencies. It didn't sound dry to me but I am still getting accustomed to the way it should sound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The temps here topped out at 90 F that day. I just pulled the boat out of the water when I felt the bowl while putting straps on her.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Like said before, its the water from the engine block back into the bowl when you pull it up the ramp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts