Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after going out to Mead Friday afternoon, to do a little tuning, with the timing and run the boat and having a great afternoon spin to Sandy cove, the day was great water was nice and the sunset was awesome.
My Wife and I were on our way home, driving down Lake Mead blvd, when tradgedy struck!
My wife and I were almost killed, when a drunk driver struck us almost head on.
We were driving along at 40 mph in a 45mph zone, when a toyota tacoma darted accross the road and slamed in to us.
It was where Lake mead drive runs infront of the entrance into a trailer park. As I was going west bound and just starting to pass the trailer park entrance, I saw the tacoma make a rolling stop and then he just gunned it to try and turn in front of Me. As i saw him take off I slammed the breaks and turned ,but the boat just kept carrying us foreward. The tacoma was comming accross the road almos t head on to us and we collided. It all seemed like a blurr!
I saw the driver get out and stumble around. Witnesses said that there was a passenger in the front seat that took off running and a woman and kid get out from the back seat and dissapeared.
The driver said he was not driving and had called his brother that showed up ,but the cops had to take him down with force for trying to sneak away. The Cop's said they were trying to say he was the driver, but caught on to their shenanigens. Both were arested and the driver was found to be extreamly intoxicated. All were Mexicans!
My wife and I were very lucky to still be alive. My wife suffered the worst of it as she is bruised from head to toe and still more are starting to show up. I came out with a couple of cuts, a sore lower back and a sore stiff neck.
After all was said and done, My Chevy Tahoe is totaled, the boat trailer is twisted and the boat hull is destryed.
It appears that the boat and trailer either hit one of the vehichles or a near by pole and the boat ripped the pin and mangled the float bar and flew off the trailer and was sitting in the midle of lake meade drive. Fortunately the boat landed upright and did not flip over. Whats funny is that it twisted the bow hook like a piece of wire ,but it did not pull out.
The good, the engine seems to be fine atleast on the outside, do not know about internally. It appears that nothing in the back moved at all and nothing inside the boat was damaged. However the impact did blow out the front bulkhead.
The tow truck showed up and He was trying to drag the boat up on the flat bed by the pump . After screaming at him and finally convincing him to let me show him what was best ,we managed to get the boat some what back on the trailer and loaded together.
When when the boat left the accident scene the pump did not have a scratch on it ,but when it showed up at my house today the paint on the pump was all fucked up. The obviously unloaded it at their yard and after $600 in towing and storage fees, they loaded it back up by draging the trailer and boat up onto the flat bed, by the pump, instead of the trailer.
Two times on the water and 5 years of My life that I will never get back! All owed to a drunk driver!
Here are some pics of the carnage. Warning! It is not pretty!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

After the tow truck dropped it off at home,
I had to finnish dragging the boat up onto the trailer.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
:( :(

Oh that bites .....................

I'm glad you and the wife are okay...................so sorry about the boat that just sucks.

I hope the bastard spends sometime in jail, if that happened to me and a drunk driver I'd just about beat the shit out of someone if they tried to get away.

That is truely heartbreaking .......I feel like I just read " Ol Yeller" after your build thread wow....................

S CP :(

·
whats a goodtime cost?
270 Posts
holy crap man. first off glad you guys are ok and not too badly injured. as far as the boat, that sucks man. i would be devastated, my boat is my baby. and from the looks of yours it was yours too. glad you guys are ok though.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Sorry to hear this and I hope you and yours have a fast healing but what a tragic end to one of the best boat build threads ever.....

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
That absolutely sucks! You put a ton of work and heart into that thing over the last few years and in a second its a pile of junk. You have to be sick to your stomach.. Glad you and the wife made it out ok. Typical Mexican shit. I see it every day.. Phukerz!

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
The fact that you two were not critically injured is the most important bit of news here. Thank God for that! I do. I hope you both return to full health soon.

That being said, it's now going to be a real battle with insurance companies. Let's hope this drunk was insured and beyond that I hope your own policy has both under-insured and uninsured motorist coverage. I will also recommend you begin to assemble every possible receipt for all the work done to verify that this was not just the value of some piece of junk vehicle and craigslist boat that the insurance company will argue wasn't worth what you had in it. I had to go through this myself years ago (much different situation) but my receipts proved the value of the boat so high that I got to keep the boat and they still totaled it. With that power-plant and possible hardware/equipment value, you'll surely want to keep what's left to salvage what's good.

I'm sorry this happened but wish you the best outcome.

p.s. I don't drink and have absolutely no tolerance for anyone driving under the influence because I have now lost three friends to drunk drivers.
One strike and you do lots of time - if nobody got killed. If so, they throw away the key to prevent it from happening ever again.

·
Registered
794 Posts
wow. I am glad you guys are okay. I been watching your build for the longest time and it just makes my stomach turn to see that!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bro man After reading this makes think again again..this really sucks ....but the wife and I are glade you and the wife is ok after all that and here to tell us..I hate driving here in vegas it sucks this has got to be the f-up place to get around..man i,m here local if ya need any help let me no !!!!!!man your boat was really nice one.. hit me up or pm me..again wow this sucks..

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Wow Hal, unbelieveable. I really hope you and your wife get better soon, and that the guy has some bookoo insurance! At least you guys made it out alive! That is absolutely horrible!

I've been watching your slowly build that boat back from the hotboat days, and always got excited to see when you updated your thread, because you did what most of us would love to do... make a boat beautiful from head to toe with your own labor, and you did a remarkable job! When I seen the pics of it on the water I couldn't believe it was finally done, and now this! Youre thread has been an inspiration to me big time, as I'm sure many others! And to see it all go away so fast I just can't believe it :))ThumbsDwn We've never met but after reading your thread with so much attention to details and how you went about working on that boat over the last several years it seems like I was right there watching yah build it. So sorry to hear about the injuries, truck, and boat, I hope they get what they have comming to them! I rarely post but I just wanted to wish you and your wife fast healing time and hopefully encouragement to not give up!

Tony

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Glad you guys werent hurt very bad. Very lucky on that point. Really sorry for the damage to the boat, loved your build thread. Hope you come out extremely well with the insurance and are able to replace everything. Hass

·
Cajun Member
1,436 Posts
years of effort........................

That just aint right.......Glad ya'll are OK,good luck to you and your wife Hal......Hope that drunk s.o.b. gets his.....

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have been there....I fished a tournament on a Saturday last September, was headed home about 3 pm in the afternoon and was about to cross the two lane dam when a mobile meth lab came into my lane and I swerved he miss my truck and took out the trailer from the tire back, it was pretty scary, my boat swung out in the other lane as I tried to get control. luckily he was in a car, no one was hurt and of course no insurance. He got 15 years in prison and is a repeat offender.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Hal,
As all have said glad you and yours are doing ok!:))THumbsUp I don't think I have the words to describe how this makes me feel! And I know you have a few choice words of your own! I have watched you as others have through the build of your Kona! And I know I did a build but nothing like this one at all! For a step by step build with your own touches it was awesome!:thumb: I hope this setback doesn't stop you from boating or rerigging another! Coby

Thank someone with more power than us for your safety and recovery!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
What a tradgety Hal, I know how much Heart and sole you have put into your project ! Like said , the upside is that you and your wife survived Best of luck to you ! Tom

·
ATTA BOY
2,348 Posts
That sucks.

You put alot of work into that project over the years. I was cool to see it complete. Glad you and the wife are ok. Material things can be replaced.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
People just dont understand the time and effort a project like that takes and for it to get taken away like that just pisses me off, in the end things will work out, hang in there Hal. Glad you guys are ok.

Chris

1 - 20 of 78 Posts