Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the symptoms of water in your gas (motor running wise)? I think im having that problem with my boat. I do not have fuel vents on my tanks. Is this also worse for preventing condensation buildup in the tanks?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You will definitely notice some hesitation. Do you have a water/fuel separator on it? If not they are pretty cheap from summit. I think I paid 40 bucks for mine. Put that on & see if it cures the problem. If not, its something else.:)

Depending on how much water there is, you may have to drain the water from the separator filter a few times.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
What are the symptoms of water in your gas (motor running wise)? I think im having that problem with my boat. I do not have fuel vents on my tanks. Is this also worse for preventing condensation buildup in the tanks?
Sputtering ,missing at steady speed , bogs hesitations etc , the moisture will also cause white oxidation to form in the carb body too! Vents are easy to install either by adding them or putting in vented caps , Most modern fills are vented or have the ability to be either /or. Brendellas right about the water trap to help control the moisture that likley already exists as well Call if we can help
Tom

BTW I'm told that denatured alchohol (hardware stores) helps absorb and "process" some of the moisture thru the system , however we drain ,seperate (let stand in a clear jug) and then "mop out" (thru the filler) all remaining moisture with lint free absorbant cloth till all traces are gone

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Denatured alcohol is hydrophilic and absorbs the water and then evaporates off. I have used it quite a few times on my cars. Works great! Everybody else seems to have hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys. i have no water seperator. i fueled up on the river last and have heard nothing but good about that. took my boat out and it ran like crap yesterday. hoping if i suck it all out and put fresh gas in it will be ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts