Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2 years ago i bought my first jet boat,,,, went through it after getting water in the oil... its a 455 olds, and i am know aware of the existing problem with that motor ! Bran new rebuild on the motor and second time out same thing , im thinking the pump block off plate and timing cover... gonna throw some new ones at it . since everything was just magnafluxed. anyone got some advice or some personal experiances with that motor and problem ?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So 2 years ago i bought my first jet boat,,,, went through it after getting water in the oil... its a 455 olds, and i am know aware of the existing problem with that motor ! Bran new rebuild on the motor and second time out same thing , im thinking the pump block off plate and timing cover... gonna throw some new ones at it . since everything was just magnafluxed. anyone got some advice or some personal experiances with that motor and problem ?
The most common places for these motors to have internal leak issues are (depending on exaust types) , Camshaft caused "reversion" issues , incorrect plumbing for headers or logs, intake manifold gaskets (wrong type vs manifold type) , excessive block pressure or as you suspected rusted/erroded or improperly sealed timing covers and water block off plates More info re your particular set up would be helpfull Tom

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Intake manifold, turkey tray gaskets = leaks.
Pressure test the exhaust manifolds, they like to corrode at the riser/log flange.
Reversion, induced by cam, or ineffective exhaust flapper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts