Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change oil on my new 468 for the first time I have one good weekend on it. I went to pull the disributor and it was "milky" at the collar. Pulled the valve covers and found water and the the front rockers on both sides were pretty gummy. I could see down on the cam and could see milky oil in there also. I pumped the oil pan out but found little evidence of water down below. Oil was a little hazy but not milky or frothy. I run injected headers and also evacs to the valve covers. Anybody have any problem with water or steam getting back in the engine through the evacs? I'm not getting any reversion with the injection system (i don't think). They run nice and dry below 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
479 Posts
top end will condensate to a certain extent but sounds that you are past that. you may want to check water pressure at cruising and wot to make sure your not exceeding the psi limit.

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Do have an relief valve and also only ran at about 150* water temp. So if anything I should be able to up the block back pressure.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
What fuel are you running? Anything with ethanol or methanol in the fuel will cause substantial condensation, which is very normal.

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Josh what do u use to regulate the water to your headers?Besides that how did it run? How do u like the ride?
I have a valve between the thermo housing and the T valve. I was having trouble getting a consistant result. I put in a new spring and ball in the T and that did the trick. Now you can at least ride in the back seat and not get roasted.

Blender as far as the boat ran it was great. I'm not sure what it can truly do. Carb and timing need a little tweaking, but with 30 gal of gas and two guys 200 lbs each it ran 67 with an "A" cut. The ride is fantastic. It truly does "float". It was great to ski behind as well. I think a solid 75 mph is out there for it. I might try an A/B cut since it pulled me up just fine. Just need to find the right buttons to push. At these altitudes I'm really happy. Now if I can only keep the water where it should be.... :bangmyhead:

·
250 Posts
Sounds like it may be reversion. Due to the cam profile. caused from your water running up to exhaust.

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like it may be reversion. Due to the cam profile. caused from your water running up to exhaust.
I could be dead wrong but i really don't think it is. I've had wet headers on my old boat and knew how to set up the system.. As for the cam its really not huge. How would reversion cause water up top but not down below. The oil was literally black or white depending where i pulled it from. Another thing. I did find a few little shreds of oily "sponge" on the head beside the rocker. I looked in the breather and it looks like the same kind of material inside. This is what made me think of some sort of backpressure through the evacs from the headers. Could the evacs be bad? they came with the headers when I bought them used.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I could be dead wrong but i really don't think it is. I've had wet headers on my old boat and knew how to set up the system.. As for the cam its really not huge. How would reversion cause water up top but not down below. The oil was literally black or white depending where i pulled it from. Another thing. I did find a few little shreds of oily "sponge" on the head beside the rocker. I looked in the breather and it looks like the same kind of material inside. This is what made me think of some sort of backpressure through the evacs from the headers. Could the evacs be bad? they came with the headers when I bought them used.
Bingo, header Evac's on injected headers cause, just what you are describing.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
if your oil temp is too cold it wont burn off the condensation

guys around here drill the injection fittings and use holly jets to regulate the amount of water

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Simple test....

After changing your oil, and drying out the moisture as best you can, un hook the evac lines and go for a ride... You'll either cure the problem AND KNOW where it was coming from, or eliminate the evacs as the source of the moisture.... I would hazzard a guess it isn't from the head/intake junction because that usually adds quite a bit in the bottom of the pan, and from what you're saying, the sump was fairly "dry" with clean, unpolluted oil..... How about the "drippers" in the headers? Are they dripping pretty well, or not so much? How much actual water/steam are you getting out the back? AND, are you running any water "dumps" besides the headers? Hey, just bring it out to Bullhead and we'll sort that sucker right out.... BTW, how is that Holley carb working for you? Any issues? We missed you guys at the Long Beach races, say HI to your Dad, and hope to see you on the river before we see you back at Parker races in November.......
Ray

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bingo, header Evac's on injected headers cause, just what you are describing.
So is the problem bad evac valves or evacs with wet headers in general?

guys around here drill the injection fittings and use holly jets to regulate the amount of water
Hey Outlaw good to hear from you. I was only ever getting just a mist or "fog" out of the headers even at full throttle. Could this still be too much? Again right now its good and dry until about 2200 rpm. Am I running the block too cool ? I was being conservative since the engine was brand new.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Exhaust "pill"

That's one way to skin the cat, another way is a Delron plug with a small orifice, maybe 3/16ths-1/4", placed in the AN fitting where the lines attach to the main tubes... I used that for a while, but then went to two 5/8ths hose dumps overboard (from the heater hose fitting holes on the intake) with a cable operated ball valve in one of them to regulate how much water by passes the headers.... I think I finally found the "magic" setting where there's just enough water in the headers, without too much... They'll still fry you like bacon, but the "weep" holes no longer flood the floor.... Then there is the subject of mufflers.... Damn, I hate mufflers...
Ray

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's one way to skin the cat, another way is a Delron plug with a small orifice, maybe 3/16ths-1/4", placed in the AN fitting where the lines attach to the main tubes... I used that for a while, but then went to two 5/8ths hose dumps overboard (from the heater hose fitting holes on the intake) with a cable operated ball valve in one of them to regulate how much water by passes the headers.... I think I finally found the "magic" setting where there's just enough water in the headers, without too much... They'll still fry you like bacon, but the "weep" holes no longer flood the floor.... Then there is the subject of mufflers.... Damn, I hate mufflers...
Ray
Fortunately they don't require mufflers here. Just a little "water". I was not getting any drips from the weep holes, so they are drying out pretty good at low RPM. Good to hear from you Ray. Check your PM's

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just replaced the $10 oneway valves ,problem fixed . They have been working fine now for bout 3 seasons on wet bassets:thumb:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Ray
Mufflers are for wives--------NOT BOATS. M

1 - 20 of 28 Posts