Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about installing a water pressure gauge, but I am not sure where to check the pressure, I have a sbc with an alpha outdrive and dry headers

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
mine's taken off the crossover, need to be more specific as to what your running for
a cooling system tho.....:)bulb

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine's taken off the crossover, need to be more specific as to what your running for
a cooling system tho.....:)bulb
The raw water pump impeller is in the out drive. It has a water pump and thermostat on the motor set up just like a car, since I am running dry headers the water is dumped thru a fitting on the back of the boat.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Take it from the side of the block where the water drain would normally be.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
anywhere before the t-stat and after all water pumps, side of block, temp sending plug on intake, cross over if you have one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to thank everyone on the help with the water pressure gauge, what water pressure should the motor run, it seems like it would be a good idea to have one.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I think 35 psi might be double what you should seek for an avg sbc or bbc. If you run an mls gasket you can get away with more. 15psi is probably adequate.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I think 35 psi might be double what you should seek for an avg sbc or bbc. If you run an mls gasket you can get away with more. 15psi is probably adequate.
thats about all an alpha impeller can produce anyways. The motors and gaskets will handle the pressure. Watch the video of the DCB going 170. the pressure spikes MAX the gauges.
As long as you have 10-15lbs pressure it will cool the motor enough, any lower and you may have issues.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
I am a big believer in water pressure gauges. Especially if you boat in areas that have a lot of sand or debris. It is a great indicator of a plugged water intake or impeller wear.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am a big believer in water pressure gauges. Especially if you boat in areas that have a lot of sand or debris. It is a great indicator of a plugged water intake or impeller wear.
Thats why I installed one in my Eliminator. Several years ago took the boat to Tahoe when the lake was fairly low, and the Keys were inundated with hydrilla. Outdrive must have been in a patch of that crap when I first started the engine. Plugged the water intake and smoked the raw water impeller. On my stock HP500EFI I see around 5lbs at idle, and in the 13-15 range at cruise rpm.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After all this good information, I am going to install a water pressure gauge on the SHADOW. I am going to use a fuel pressure gauge, since I already have one laying around. Thanks again for all the good information, happy boating!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts