Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here the deal. I'm adding a watts water pressure regulator to the cooling of my BBC jet boat. This is how I have it plumed. the water is coming off the pump to an open/close valve. then to the pressure regulator, to the front of the block, then out the t housing to the water jacketed headers. Is this correct? Do I need to install a water dump somewhere in the colling system? Thanks.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Imo you should have 2 dumps, one to the injection lines(header) and 1 overboard.
X2........

If he had water injected headers you would be correct. If you read his post again you will see he has water jacketed headers. These should not need an extra dump line unless, for some reason, the manufacturer recommends it. If his exhaust is just the common aluminum "logs"(sometimes mistakenly called "headers"), then again, no extra dump line. All water exits through the exhaust.

CRF311, post a pic of what you are running. From the pics in your album, it looks like you have injected headers.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Good catch oldsquirt. If I had seen jacketed, I wouldn't have posted I've never owned any(no clue).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply's.
Oldsquirt, the pics in my ablum show my old set up. I was running Bassett ot headers. I have switch to some Lighting water jacketed headers. I added the pressure regulator so I wouldn't need to worry about over pressure in the cooling system leading to water in the oil. Let me see if I have some new pictures of my set up. Thanks again

1,011 Posts
The way I see it is the headers have small volume for the water and could restrict flow out of the engine and need an extra dump. Also years ago when my dad was running in board he ran the in coming water to the exhaust manifold first to cool them and heat the water. It then went thru the engine and out the tail pipe just past the manifold to cool them.

I would think your best bet would be to talk to Lighting.

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts