Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
VOTE!
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an older system that came with the house that we have spent a few hundred dollars on over the last ten years. The system is 18 years old.

The timer is broken and a new digital one will cost $550. A complete new system from Culligan is $2,300 installed.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or recommendations, alternatives etc? We like the system but that is a sh*t-load of money in my opinion. What do you think?

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts
Do you have a bad problem with calcium build up?? If your in Fullerton, I wouldn't think so. I would worry more about the drinking water than anything. Buy a Brita or Pur pitcher. You will save a ton of money.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Sorry..I got excited

I thought you were talking about stool softeners, not water softeners..never mind. I do have a build up problem every now and then..

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have an older system that came with the house that we have spent a few hundred dollars on over the last ten years. The system is 18 years old.

The timer is broken and a new digital one will cost $550. A complete new system from Culligan is $2,300 installed.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or recommendations, alternatives etc? We like the system but that is a sh*t-load of money in my opinion. What do you think?
I have had several resin type water softeners over the years. When the timer goes bad, I replaced it with a rebuilt one. I made friends with the local Houston Culligan depot. The fella in the service shop gave me a couple old timers that I was able to salvage parts from and build one good one. The softener was a 1979 model. I finally had to replace the tank (steel) with a fiberglass version. That softener still provides excellent service and it sits outside in the elements.

You might want to have the resin cleaned. They do that at the depot and it increases the efficiency of the resin (uses less salt to regenerate).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Life Source filtration systems are really good. They are 15 years maintenance free 1.6 million gallons of water.

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
I rent mine from culligan. I was told not buy one cause of the high water temp here.

Free install with the rental unit. They come and put the salt it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Most all single tank water softeners do not work very well due to the single tank design and the fact that they need a timer system to regenerate at 1-2 am. Although not inexpensive Kinetico is concidered to be the very best money can buy at any price!

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Agree on the single tank systems. We only sell dual tank systems with an electronic timer that is meter driven. No fancy computer, no fancy display. Simply set to regenerate after so many gallons any time of the day.

Basically what a Kinetico does, except uses electricity to drive the regen cycle.

For a hell of a lot less than that Culligan price I may add.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Do you have a bad problem with calcium build up?? If your in Fullerton, I wouldn't think so. I would worry more about the drinking water than anything. Buy a Brita or Pur pitcher. You will save a ton of money.
Actually Fullerton has very hard water 20gpg, a water softener is needed for anything over 3gpg:)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Most all single tank water softeners do not work very well due to the single tank design and the fact that they need a timer system to regenerate at 1-2 am. Although not inexpensive Kinetico is concidered to be the very best money can buy at any price!

Havasu has some of the hardest water you will ever find and my cheep single tank sys. works really well for my two person household.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Havasu has some of the hardest water you will ever find and my cheep single tank sys. works really well for my two person household.
If it works for you great but I'll bet it only gives you zero soft water 2-3 days a week.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
If it works for you great but I'll bet it only gives you zero soft water 2-3 days a week.

No offense but thats just not true. Just because its a single tank system, you can soften it just the same as a Kinetico system, just its operation wont be as seamless as a twin tank system.

We have clients that have hardness lvls around 100gpg and they are served with single tank units. Its all about the capacity of the unit and the regen cycle, of course I hope you know that.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I guess i'll leave this discussion to the experts:D I'll take my 29 yrs experience and 40,000 sales of water softeners and go to bed:)hand

1 - 20 of 63 Posts