Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for a complete twin turbo set-up for a big block chevy.

Cooler, carb, ect..... We have Imco powerflows so I think the main manofolds minus the elbows :) will work.

I did a search but one price (6500)was out of our reach at this time.

Please advise and thanks

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we have a great motor. just need the turbo's :D:D:D

without turbo's were at 725hp on dyno. with turbo's :D:D:D

well, lets just say there will be another sleeper 270 HALLETT going buy a few people :)hand

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
We are looking for a complete twin turbo set-up for a big block chevy.

Cooler, carb, ect..... We have Imco powerflows so I think the main manofolds minus the elbows :) will work.

I did a search but one price (6500)was out of our reach at this time.

Please advise and thanks

Can you do turbos on top of the IMCO power flows?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
what set-up do you have? I think my bro jeff talked to you before.

He's going to move to Tahoe and a top mounted whipple "carb version" wont fit under the hatch.
I took the original Paul Pfaff 700 and put a 3.3 Whipple on it , went from about
78 mph to 96 with Gary Taylor ( yea I know , he was my neighbor ) and Dustin
Whipple testing and setting up the computer . Yes I did talk to your brother, I tried to talk him into the fuel injected set up . as it runs perfect ! Double think the turbo , after all the expense and set up the turbos will cost more . he'll be better off with the fuel injected Whipple set up .

·
Registered
762 Posts
we have a great motor. just need the turbo's :D:D:D

without turbo's were at 725hp on dyno. with turbo's :D:D:D

well, lets just say there will be another sleeper 270 HALLETT going buy a few people :)hand
Was this motor built for turbos? If not, you might be $'s ahead looking at a complete turbo motor(if you can get a sharp enough deal) versus rebuilding your motor for turbos.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the original Paul Pfaff 700 and put a 3.3 Whipple on it , went from about
78 mph to 96 with Gary Taylor ( yea I know , he was my neighbor ) and Dustin
Whipple testing and setting up the computer . Yes I did talk to your brother, I tried to talk him into the fuel injected set up . as it runs perfect ! Double think the turbo , after all the expense and set up the turbos will cost more . he'll be better off with the fuel injected Whipple set up .
We have a compression issue if we run the whipple. The static compression is to high for a top mounted whipple. Plus he won't go back to fuel injection as the carb setup is perfect and less of a hassle.

He's looking into a small turbo set up. nothing to crazy just wants to make more power since he's going to boat at HIGH alt..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was this motor built for turbos? If not, you might be $'s ahead looking at a complete turbo motor(if you can get a sharp enough deal) versus rebuilding your motor for turbos.
Motor was over built. Its the same long block set-up GT/phaff uses on the 1100 hp builds. If we took the carb off and added the big blower say 5.5 whipple then the motor will make 1000-1100 hp. Don't have to change anything. Actually the heads flow better:D..

AND, we don't want to run racing gas

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
We have a compression issue if we run the whipple. The static compression is to high for a top mounted whipple. Plus he won't go back to fuel injection as the carb setup is perfect and less of a hassle.

He's looking into a small turbo set up. nothing to crazy just wants to make more power since he's going to boat at HIGH alt..
Well , I didn't change my compression , I think it's around 9.5 , I only run around 4.5 lbs of boost ...compression will be less of an issue at higher altitude ...you might wanna call Teague or Lexi at Boostpower , they both have done turbos in the past and probably have a wealth of information on the subject

·
Registered
762 Posts
Motor was over built. Its the same long block set-up GT/phaff uses on the 1100 hp builds. If we took the carb off and added the big blower say 5.5 whipple then the motor will make 1000-1100 hp. Don't have to change anything. Actually the heads flow better:D..

AND, we don't want to run racing gas
Sounds like it's a good platform, but the turbo camshafts will be different. Some guys look for a little smaller cylinder on the turbo set ups also. If the motor was built to upgrade to a blower setup, that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well , I didn't change my compression , I think it's around 9.5 , I only run around 4.5 lbs of boost ...compression will be less of an issue at higher altitude ...you might wanna call Teague or Lexi at Boostpower , they both have done turbos in the past and probably have a wealth of information on the subject
I would call Alexi @ Boostpower, he has some used stuff from time to time. I bought a really nice set up from him a few years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts